Row of motorhomes Goring by Sea

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Cruisers, Sep 12, 2015.

1. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

We went along the seafront at Goring this afternoon and there were 26 motorhomes parked there. There were lots of cars parked between them and we couldn't see that MHs cause a problem, as we have read recently. Lots of room for cars and motorhomes.
    I'm not sure what the law says about parking there. It's an ideal place to stop.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Oxfordshire County Council (which is responsible for on street parking in Goring) told me that there are no parking orders that restrict motorhome parking in general on-street parking spaces, the only restriction would be the size of the bay and whether it would fit in.

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

????????????? Oxfordshire ?? :)

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

lol:giggle:

I think you can get grief there + local youth blaring horns etc..at night when your trying to sleep. will use it this winter. when house hunting in area to see whats its really like. probably be doulble yellow lines by then!

then again maybe not! there are no houses behind so not spoiling anyone's views but local NIMBYS out with their cameras blaming campers for all sorts according to wildcamping forum thread:(

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/news/local/motor-home-misery-to-be-tackled-1-6799945

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  5. Spots

Spots Funster

Goring on Thames is in Oxfordshire, next to villages like Pangbourne and Streatley.
    Goring on Sea is near Worthing, West Sussex

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

I was in goring by Sea in WorthingWorthing

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Flamin' suvverners reusing names to confuse people :LOL:

This Page gives details of restrictions, none of which are specific to motorhomes as far as I know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Its UK again

We spent last night on a huge free beach car park with about 100 other vans.

Where?? Hondaribbia, Northern Spain, completely free, no hassle and even typing this on the town wifi.

Went out and ate in town last night, going out cycling this morning, on proper cyclepaths, then coming back this afternoon and prob going for a swim.

Why doesnt UK get it?
    Jon

• Like Like x 5
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Because there isn't sufficient demand for it to justify the expenditure.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jonegood

jonegood Funster

You wont have seen the queues going on the ferries then.

There is a massive demand.

Its because UK councils are no longer interested in what the poor captive customers actually want.

• Like Like x 3
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If there is massive demand why does hardly anyone actually get off their backsides and do something about it then?

For instance, how many councils have you contacted with constructive, evidenced, proposals for setting up aires in their district and how many other people do you know who have done the same?

• Like Like x 2
  13. jonegood

jonegood Funster

I have tried actually, not as much as you have granted.

Ive had communication with the national trust and the Visit Britain people.

Both asked the bl**dy Caravan Club who said they were not neccesary as people could use caravan sites. No self-interest at all there

• Like Like x 3
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm not surprised you got nowhere. As far as the relevant legislation goes, NT and Visit Britain are no different from any other organisation which would need to obtain a licence and planning permission. The only organisations which can set up caravan sites (which is what aires are) without licences are the local authorities which are also licensing authorities.

As has been demonstrated many times, they are not going to commit to a potential £50K spend without somebody providing them with evidence that it would be money well spent. The NT and Visit Britain aren't going to provide that evidence and neither are the CC or any other private organisations which own and run caravan sites.

The only way to provide evidence (not just airy fairy "we spend money" claims) is for people (as individuals or together with like minded friends) to do it themselves. The fact that only a handful of people bother to do so is proof positive that there is no general demand for aires in the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  15. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I am told land behind is for sale or to be sold wild camping will stop then

16. Oriel

Oriel

I don't know about other areas of the UK but here in the south I wonder if its purely down to lack of space. We went up to Telford last weekend and visited a couple of sites on the way back and were staggered how little development there was - it was wonderful.

17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Its the nature and attitude of life in the UK, we are not a social breed..Plus the constant nagging from the worst of us, the bloomin NIMBYS!:) Hence why most of us vote with our feet and venture abroad.....the weather another reason obviously

18. Oriel

Oriel

Yes, the weather has a bit to do with it!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cleve

Cleve Funster

The weather has a hell of a lot to do with it for me. I confess I am a latent Frenchman and find the whole attitude here so different and better than our home grown one. 2 hours for lunch etc.

I looked at a vide grenier yesterday morning, then went for lunch with friends, followed by a tour of Saintes on foot. Invited for aperatif last night which was something else. The whole attitude is so inclusive and a bonus for me very little English speach making my abysmal French have to get up an walk.

The strength of the aperatifs required a night stop and this morning was invited on a trip to Pont D'Envaux to visit the sculptures - some extraordinary works, well worth a vist but finished for this year from the 15th September.

I could go on and usually do but this is such a good site I do not want to spoil it. Back to work on 18th (floods of tears...)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member