Route to the South (1 Viewer)

M and M

Free Member
May 12, 2010
kent
Funster No
MH
Yank RV
:roflmto: Hello all motorhomers. I apologise if this is a question asked before, but this forum is new to me. I need a toll free route using good roads through to the South of France to the North East of Spain, avoiding Paris, as I got stuck in a jam on the Peripherique for three hours at Easter. I am in an American RV, so wide roads are easier, but nothing is impossible!!! Also, any good sites for en-route stops!!! Thanks peeps :winky:

Last edited:

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
Now, is it that you want to avoid Paris or toll roads in general? Driving the Péripherique (which I did many, many times - and which is free) is not of a problem if you avoid peak hours. Supposing you start your journey on the continent in Calais, I suggest to head for Clermont-Ferrand (play around with the map here). Then, an absolute must is the A75 which is free and VERY scenic at the same time. Overnight at Millau (leave the autoroute just before entering the bridge), there is a free aire in town, but you must arrive early since pitches are limitied in size and numbers. Then, hit the A75/N9 again down to the Mediterranean, follow the N9. Roughly 10 kms after Narbonne, turn left, overnight at Peyriac-de-Mer, several aires, look around, you'll like this little hidden paradise (water tab to be found behind club house of tennis club). Then, head to Spain on the N9. Have fun - and don't forget to send us a postcard :Smile:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Anyone have a non toll route for going down the west cost of France to Spain please.........my sat nav seems to go way around the houses if I take of tolls:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
....Overnight at Millau (leave the autoroute just before entering the bridge), there is a free aire in town, but you must arrive early since pitches are limitied in size and numbers.

Sounds like a good route but unless there are 2 aires in Millau the OP will be pushed to get an RV in - lots of wooden fence rails to clobber :Doh: from memory.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
See this post for how I did it to Versailles avoiding going through Paris Link Removed

There's an aire in Doullens near Amiens (between Arras and Amiens) which can accept a 30' RV (been there done that :Smile: ). Only water and basic dump facilities. See Link Removed

for more

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back