Route to cheverny France (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Morning everyone ,I am asking our more experienced France travelers for some route planning help. I may have picked a site a little to far for our first stop over on route to Saint emilion . I have chosen in my wisdom camping les saules at cheverny now via Michelin recommend going through Paris which I do not fancy (first time abroad in a motor home in 30 years) so I was thinking Calais/Rouen/Chartres/Blois/Cheverny. So what do you think can you suggest a better /faster route . As its only 3 weeks off now getting pretty nervous ,many thanks (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Google maps is giving your Calais/Rouen/Chartres/Blois/Cheverny route as 490 km (abt 306 miles) and about 5 1/4 hours This includes some tolls. There are some good open free dual carriageways (A28 and most of the A154) where you can make some progress but there are also some big towns/cites to negotiate. Rouen can be a bit tricky if you miss a turning and Evereux, Dreux, and Chartres all have 'ring roads' that have lots of roundabouts. We don't do tolls and the speed we drive at, I would find it a little daunting to do Calais to Cheverny in one go on this route. Having said that we use Aires and try to find somewhere about 3pm so if you have booked at Cheverny then that takes the time pressure off for you. If you are not booked, then there a lots of Aires on that route for when you have had enough.

In another life we lived at Scorton just outside Garstang for a while.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks for that Namwaldog ,perhaps someone might suggest a better route or may say go through Paris . I should of planed this a bit better but hey ho :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Scorton is a great place ,don't know if they had a bar /restaurant/shop when you lived there called The Barn but they have just done a really nice job of expanding band renovating it and it's only an half hour walk from my house (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The route is fine.. and I can give you my tips as it's a road I travel often...
Use the A16 toll between Boulougne and Abberville, saves 45 mins against non toll and costs around €12
At Rouen.. Follow signs for Paris. This will take you straight out and on to the A13, Free but becomes a Toll for just 1 junction as you turn on to the N154 but cost is only €2-3..... But more straight forward and quicker than the non toll option via Pont de la Arche. As already stated Dreux and Chartes have a few roundabouts to contend with but a lot on the N154 is dual carriageway.

Distance is a little more than I usually do in a day but I dont clock on till 9am and like to finish by 5 ! With tea breaks every 2 hours :) South of Chartes on the N10 there are aires at Marboue and Vendome as stop overs, Vendome also has a municipal campsite.. The aire here is outside the campsite gates, just parking but free..

Just checked where your heading for and so your stopover seems a bit off route ? I would have kept on N10, There are plenty of aires and sites along the route..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tonkas-western-route-to-spain.99/

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks for that Tonka I agree with you now we have actually looked at a map more closely it is a bit of a trail but the wife wants to go ,what can you do . Thanks for your tips will study them with a map when I get home from work . I now realise it's a very long day for our first day but hopefully the rest of th trip will be more leisurely . Thanks again Tonka (y)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
please forgive my Ignorance on this subject but is there any route that is mainly motorway and would avoid towns and city's .paying tolls does not bother me but doing the distance on that first day is more important . As you may of gathered map reading is not my strong point especially when the French maps seem to have 2 or 3 numbers for the same road :LOL: . The worst case scenario is I just put cheverny in the sat nav and blaze on .(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Head for Paris....
At Paris look for any Sign that says Bordeaux and follow that around the motorway system until you out the other side and heading for Orleans..

No idea on toll costs as it's been a long time since i used them over that way..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back