LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All
We have made up our minds now and will be heading to Annecy area for our hols. So i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on best route and of any Aires they used on way we have the book of aires but nice to get reccommendations from here.

Forgot to say we tend not to use tolls but dont mind if it gets us by a very busy area then back off, and we will be leaving from the tunnel so could do with somewhere close by to spend the night as we arrive at 2am

Gerry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Gerry, I have never been to Annecy, have you been before?

We called in passing on the way back from Italy last year. A really cute tourist town. Nice enough lake, but after being on Garda it was more a large puddle.

Route: Reims, Troyes, Digon, bit of wine route, Baune, Macon, Annecey looks simple to me and there will loads of municipal sites to stay on. I'd be thinking of stopping once, a bit south of Rheims but not everyone like to make progress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Getting off the tunnel in the early hours head for the City Europe there is motorhome parking next to the bus station and police station N 50* 55.974 E 1* 48.706 are the co-ordinates there are no facilities there only parking we use it most times its only 5 minutes away from tunnel exit if you get to the tunnel earlier you can usually get an earlier crossing at no extra cost . There were 6 other motorhomes parked there with us a couple of weeks ago. hope this helps :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All

Thanks for your replys i have a route in mind but like to check with you guys first lol.

Hi Jim no we have never been to Annecy before but where in the Malbusion area last year and really like it so thought we'd try Annecy i will let you know when i return if its nice.

Thanks for the advice on the parking at the tunnel will give it a go as only looking to sleep dont need facilities. Will hopefully be at tunnel earlier but allways book a later crossing or under in this case just in case of traffic as we are driving from Scotland.

Cheers
Gerry

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We went to Annecy a few years ago,intending to spend the first four or five days of our holiday in the area.When we arrived found all the sites to be very busy and when did find a site with space pitch was very small and awkward to access. In the end we moved on,this was in the French peak season though, first week of august. It did look a nice area and we will try it again out of season.

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
You will probably travelling east through France on the E17 (A5) Autoroute.
If you leave at junction 24 (just south of Chaumont) There is a super village called Arc-en-Barrois where there is a free aire by the river adjacent to the campsite.
We have used it several times. The village is attractive and has two good restaurants.

bushman51

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Mainly France
Funster No
Exp
30+
...but where in the Malbusion area last year..
Nice to hear that you know this place (actually: Malbuisson) which is more or less around the corner from where I am. As you might be doing the same route, this time use the aire on the other side of the lake in Saint Point Lac (water and disposal, but no electric as for now), rural and quiet, good for a walk, the lake just in front invites you for a swim. Always some Brits to find there. Don't forget to try/buy the local Comté cheese. Before you arrive there, do the shopping in Pontarlier.

On the same route but off the beaten track, there is a very hidden aire in Nozeroy. See in what countryside it is: http://images.google.ch/imgres?imgu...?q=Nozeroy&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=de&sa=N&start=180. The aire is below the medieval village. It has water and electric - and the view is just breathtaking. Never seen a Brit there, however.

Bonne route!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi All
Thanks for your replys and advice i will be taking it on board.

Hi bushman when we where at malbussion last year we came from Germany then headed across France so never really done the route from Calais down. We did stop at the aire next to the lake and it was lovely with bakers van and pizza van didnt realise it was that close to the route we would be taken so's how much attention i pay lol. When we went last year we didnt have any plans or targets so didnt really pay much attention to the road names and numbers .

Thanks again guys

Gerry

S

S&J

Deleted User
This is a good link for route planning!
ViaMichelin: Maps, route planner, route finder, UK maps, European maps, hotel booking, travel guides
We went South in April/May via the Dover Dunkirk crossing. Took our time and went through Belgium and Luxembourg to Metz then Strasbourg then down the Rhine Wine route Colmar but stopped at Kaiserburg Aire which was well worth a visit. Then work down via Belfort. Strasbourg has an aire by the Rhine (free). Tram and bus link into the centre of the city. Spectacular city if you have time. If you don't go that far east then go Lille (motorway from Dunkirk to Lille is free in France), then Rheims and head for Besancon via Beaune (good aire near town) around Besancon are some interesting aires especially Baum-les-Dames, Poncin, Nantua, Bourg en Bresse. We kept off the peage motorways and found the Rhine valley route was good. We then were heading for Grasse and Cannes via Grenoble and across the Route Napoleon. Castellane and Sisteron worth visiting if you decide to go that way (beyond Annecy). Aires are rare after you cross the Alps. Once we reached the South we met a Brit who told us the diesel was cheap in Luxembourg 88 cents a litre... no you tell us!
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back