Route through Spain, then Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are in Decize in France near Nevers, making our way to Portugal, which part of the border is the best way to get through to Spain, then Portugal?
We want to avoid a dodgy route,ie bandit country, so any suggestions please?

It's quite warm here at 25 degrees, hope you have it nice in the UK wherever you are.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Where have you got that notion from ? Every road you drive on is "bandit country".

Take the sensible advice in Jim's security book and you can take any route you like.

We've done the east coast route many times on a bike and in the van and we are alive to tell the story. We have never stopped in Barcelona which has a bad reputation but on the autovia you are only near it for 15 mins.

Having said that going past Madrid and stopping at Aranjuez and Granada get you the lovely palace in Aranjuez ( with nearby campsite ) and in Granada ( camsite dead centre of town ) the one and only Alhambra. After that Tore del Mar.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are in Decize in France near Nevers, making our way to Portugal, which part of the border is the best way to get through to Spain, then Portugal?

It's quite warm here at 25 degrees, hope you have it nice in the UK wherever you are.

We are just a bit west of you more or less on the Border of Spain and France and just planning our route, we look like we may go to the aire at Donostia-San-Sebastion and then the one at Carabceno but beyond two or three days we do not plan as we always change our minds. Hey it is a bit hot and sticky here also 33 degrees in fact

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
San Sebastian is a must. Its excellent.

Then just follow the coast to Compostela.

Its safe as houses if you use common sense.

Good luck

billkce

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
[HI]We want to avoid a dodgy route,ie bandit country, so any suggestions please?[/HI]

My suggestion is [HI]go back home ASAP[/HI] as you will not be able to sleep at night worrying about BANDITS

I'm not sure what it is with people coming from the UK into Europe and worrying about so called bandits - where did you hear about bandits????? You are more likely to get MUGGED in the UK.........

30,000 Motorhomes a year travel across Portugal to and out of Spain and across France into Germany then Spain then Portugal............ How many of the 30,000 do you hear getting spotted in BANDIT country..... not even sure were that is in the EU.

Please enjoy your MH and your holiday - the best way to do this is use COMMON SENSE.

I will get off my high horse now and have a drink.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My suggestion is [HI]go back home ASAP[/HI] as you will not be able to sleep at night worrying about BANDITS

I'm not sure what it is with people coming from the UK into Europe and worrying about so called bandits - where did you hear about bandits????? You are more likely to get MUGGED in the UK.........

30,000 Motorhomes a year travel across Portugal to and out of Spain and across France into Germany then Spain then Portugal............ How many of the 30,000 do you hear getting spotted in BANDIT country..... not even sure were that is in the EU.

Please enjoy your MH and your holiday - the best way to do this is use COMMON SENSE.

I will get off my high horse now and have a drink.

the moroccan tourist board reckon 40,000m,homes hit maroc in the winter . most of them came through spain . there must be nearly that many left in spain never mind the ones in portugal .
in winter can you drive a couple of miles with out seeing another camper on the main routes? i dont think so. the worst bandits are the guardia .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
From Decize you can head down to us - not far from Limoges - then after a good night's sleep (or a week) you can take the direct route via Bergerac and Mont de Marsan to the crossing by Bayonne. Great countryside, no tolls.:thumb:
Then you can go to San Sebastian and on to Santiaga de Compostela - you should have no problems, and you will really enjoy the travelling.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Torre del mar

Where have you got that notion from ? Every road you drive on is "bandit country".

Take the sensible advice in Jim's security book and you can take any route you like.

We've done the east coast route many times on a bike and in the van and we are alive to tell the story. We have never stopped in Barcelona which has a bad reputation but on the autovia you are only near it for 15 mins.

Having said that going past Madrid and stopping at Aranjuez and Granada get you the lovely palace in Aranjuez ( with nearby campsite ) and in Granada ( camsite dead centre of town ) the one and only Alhambra. After that Tore del Mar.

I am at the asci site just outside the town at this moment and can vouch that it is a nice site :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back