Route suggestions from Annecy to Italy please (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi, well as the title says or implies, we're currently in Annecy and definitely thinking about going to Italy.
Looking at a couple of routes and one is via Chamonix and Mont Blanc tunnel or down other routes away from the tunnel.
Questions though. The tunnel appears quite expensive but is it a great overall cost saver? Are the other routes Péage or are they free motorways?
I know you guys have great suggestions and looking forward to seeing the suggestions.
I think I'd like to get to around Padua before coming back.
I don't know whether I'd return on same route so probably not return ticket through the tunnel. Plus, what do I need for Italy?
Cheers, Tony, Janet and Pepper

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd go through the tunnel but we like Chamonix so always stop there for at least a day. It's also the shortest route from Annecy.

Yes the tunnel is quite expensive, €57 last year, not sure if it's changed, but if you take the Switzerland route you will be paying either €40 or €32.50 for the vignette depending on your weight so there's a big chunk of the cost. You might also have some extra mileage to consider depending on where in Italy you're headed for plus if you decide to overnight in Switzerland it will have to be on a site so assume €50 minimum for that.

I know that the tunnel sounds expensive but when you consider everything there's nothing really in it.

From Annecy it's one of those two routes. There's no other sensible way to go.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mont Blanc tunnel is expensive. If you want to compare prices with an alternative tunnel look at Frejus.

To avoid tunnels, but taking some extra miles, there's Grenoble > Briancon > Montgenevre > Oulx. The road winds in places but is fine for MHs. Artics use it regularly and the scenery is lovely. Aires available at both Briancon (free) and Montgenevre - we've used the route quite a few times.

If you're carrying bikes on the back you need one of those diagonal striped red and white warning boards in Italy. You also need an acceptance that speed limit signs in Italy are treated as advisory, and you will only get anywhere in a busy town if you push push push, like they do :). I still love the place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
To avoid tunnels, but taking some extra miles, there's Grenoble > Briancon > Montgenevre > Oulx

How many extra miles?

Bear in mind that your mpg will be crap going up and down mountains and it doesn't need to be all that many before you've spent the cost of the tunnel.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Col du Petit St Bernard might be another alternative? Mentioned in a thread last year as 'easy' - http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...blanc-tunnel-how-bad-drive-over.134481/page-2

I cycled it once many years ago from Italy to France and then took the road from from Bourg to Annecy via Beaufort. No idea how MH friendly that part might be but it included the climb I hated most - the Cormet de Roselend. We'd done the good St Bernard earlier in the holiday. Wish I could climb any of those now!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
How many extra miles?

Bear in mind that your mpg will be crap going up and down mountains and it doesn't need to be all that many before you've spent the cost of the tunnel.

About 90 extra miles to a key Italian autostrada junction just past Turin, assuming the OP is heading east after crossing the Alps. For my MH that would translate into 18 litres of diesel, which is about 22 Euros at supermarket prices. As there are as many downs as ups and you're driving more steadily we found our mpg wasn't hugely affected. Plus I find long tunnels mind-numbing :)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
What about Chambery and then over via Val Cenis? You can avoid peages all the way I drove from Samoens to the Val Cenis valley this March and it is pretty straight forward I haven't been over the Val Cenis pass myself but was considering it when we were thinking of heading over to Italy from that neck of the woods. Appreciate that it is horses for courses as they say and who knows someone else may say that the pass is a disaster!

If you want to compare costs with and without peages use Via Michelin and configure the options as car and caravan (class 2) it is pretty accurate.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Frejus and Mont Blanc tunnels are the same price (€57.60)
From Annecy, Chamonix/Mont Blanc tunnel is a no brainer, although I guess it depends on whereabouts in Italy you're heading.

If you decide to take an alternative route check for road closures before setting off, some of the diversions are not motorhome friendly and must be a massive inconvenience for the locals...

Untitled.jpg

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/T...1NDJ2aXMxMGNORFV1T0RrNU56az1jTmk0eE1qZ3pOUT09

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We had a horrendous wait ( about 4 hours) getting through the Mont Blanc tunnel last summer.

Just check for the French school holidays and avoid the beginning of them, which is what we hit.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'd go through the tunnel but we like Chamonix so always stop there for at least a day. It's also the shortest route from Annecy.

Yes the tunnel is quite expensive, €57 last year, not sure if it's changed, but if you take the Switzerland route you will be paying either €40 or €32.50 for the vignette depending on your weight so there's a big chunk of the cost. You might also have some extra mileage to consider depending on where in Italy you're headed for plus if you decide to overnight in Switzerland it will have to be on a site so assume €50 minimum for that.

I know that the tunnel sounds expensive but when you consider everything there's nothing really in it.

From Annecy it's one of those two routes. There's no other sensible way to go.
Yes, we've already got the Swizz vignette. Not deliberately but just happened to get to the border. The cost is €57.60 and €73 ish return. Still deciding. Thank you for that @NickNic.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We had a horrendous wait ( about 4 hours) getting through the Mont Blanc tunnel last summer.

Just check for the French school holidays and avoid the beginning of them, which is what we hit.
Never thought of that. Thanks @Chris.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
For us Chamonix is the attraction. If we spend 2 or 3 days there it doesn't make a lot of sense to not use the tunnel.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

We had a bit of a delay last year.

It was quite amusing to watch the Gendarmes definitely absolutely certainly not using racial profiling in the way they chose vehicles for "special attention" :whistle:

If I ever thought we could learn something from the French it was then. They didn't give a shit and didn't care who knew.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We went through the tunnel de Frejus a couple of days ago. As mentioned, €57.60, plus the tolls either side (another ~€14).
We have in the past gone over the Petit San Bernard and enjoyed it.
We overnighted at Susa - at the aire by the railway station. €7 inc water, elec by separate slot machine. The town is worth exploring.
Currently just settled at camping Covelo, Iseo :)

Edit: we stopped overnight at camping magenta, Magenta. Free, but noisy (didn't bother us) Impressive motorhome and camping dealership: if you need anything, it's there!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A

We had a bit of a delay last year.

It was quite amusing to watch the Gendarmes definitely absolutely certainly not using racial profiling in the way they chose vehicles for "special attention" :whistle:

If I ever thought we could learn something from the French it was then. They didn't give a shit and didn't care who knew.

Held back and checked all the Welsh then? Them French can smell a wrong un.:LOL:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We went through the mont blanc tunnel last month..just a heads up the return journey must be made within 7 days. So we just got a return and came back via Switzerland.

It's on our thread titled 2nd honeymoon.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would always go Switzerland by choice, the 3500kgs plus makes it very reasonable and St Gotthard is free, bringing you down by Lake Magiore which is lovely.

However this time we changed track too far down France so the only real option was Mont Blanc, Its a nice drive up there, although you re regularly tickled for a bit more peage the tunnel is 17kms of two way traffic boredom and 57 euros. On the plus side emerging from the tunnel itself there is apparently a choice of motorway or A road down to Aosta. We were in a hurry so took the motorway and went through another load of tunnels ( possibly more than the tunnel itself) thinking - OMG what is this going to cost? Answer - Nothing.

Weather still good here in Croatia, currently down by Starigrad in a little autocamp

Happy travels

Jon

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I would always go Switzerland by choice, the 3500kgs plus makes it very reasonable and St Gotthard is free, bringing you down by Lake Magiore which is lovely.

However this time we changed track too far down France so the only real option was Mont Blanc, Its a nice drive up there, although you re regularly tickled for a bit more peage the tunnel is 17kms of two way traffic boredom and 57 euros. On the plus side emerging from the tunnel itself there is apparently a choice of motorway or A road down to Aosta. We were in a hurry so took the motorway and went through another load of tunnels ( possibly more than the tunnel itself) thinking - OMG what is this going to cost? Answer - Nothing.

Weather still good here in Croatia, currently down by Starigrad in a little autocamp

Happy travels

Jon
Thank you Jon and your original route sounds nice. Albeit that we're in Annecy, we're thinking of going back into Switzerland because of the scenery and experience and lake Maggiore is one of our ideal places. The series of tunnels sounds like when we came into Switzerland from Montreux Chateau towards Biel. There must have been 30 tunnels (somebody will have counted them) but emerging from each one, a different vista.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We went through the tunnel de Frejus a couple of days ago. As mentioned, €57.60, plus the tolls either side (another ~€14).
We have in the past gone over the Petit San Bernard and enjoyed it.
We overnighted at Susa - at the aire by the railway station. €7 inc water, elec by separate slot machine. The town is worth exploring.
Currently just settled at camping Covelo, Iseo :)

Edit: we stopped overnight at camping magenta, Magenta. Free, but noisy (didn't bother us) Impressive motorhome and camping dealership: if you need anything, it's there!
So to enjoy the pleasure of the tunnel, it's €71.60 including tolls?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive just remembered about Simplon pass,would that work for you, its a lovely drive and there is a free camper stop right on the top. brings you down by bottom end of maggiore.

OP
OP
EX51SSS

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ive just remembered about Simplon pass,would that work for you, its a lovely drive and there is a free camper stop right on the top. brings you down by bottom end of maggiore.
That sounds absolutely wonderful. I've just looked at Brig and obviously Lake Maggiore would be a bonus too. Thank you @jonegood

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back