Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
just off to France on Friday:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Smile::Smile: and yet again sat nav and autoroute are showing preferred route skirting edge of Paris. For years I have avoided this route, preferring to go left hand side via Druex, does anyone use Paris route if so is it the hell I assume it to be?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Paris IS NOT hard... If you can handle the M25 it's no different..
Once you reach the outskirts near Charles de-gaule airport it's free motorway all the way around.. Look for "BORDEAUX" signs and follow these... It will put you around Paris and you can drop off the other side before you hit the toll roads again..

Calais to Paris non toll is the bit I hate.. Much prefer the Rouen, Chartes route..

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
We have done this loads of times and it isn't bad. Traffic is pretty slow going so you have plenty of time to get into the right lane.

I do believe though depending on your time of travel the tolls vary in price. Our friends travelled through the evening we did the same route in the afternoon and we paid loads more than them. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Done it a few times and I don't think its like the M25 at all, which is pretty easy. The Paris ring is much more intense, it goes from 2 lanes to 4-5 in a flash, and just when you need the nearside to take the slip, you find yourself in the middle. :Sad:

But its doable, you just need to be alert, and it helps if you have a good navigator.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
and just when you need the nearside to take the slip, you find yourself in the middle. :Sad:
Ian

For sure, if you don't know where you are going you collect a few horn blasts with all that lane changing. ::bigsmile: But its not too bad as long as you have one of the big cities to head for, you just have to concentrate and keep your wits while following those signs. Signage is much better than it was . Years ago it was terrible, you'd be following say signs to Lyon, then they would just stop, no mention of Lyon again for long enough to get you sweating, then you'd see one but soon you'd be making guesses to the direction as they were missing again.

I was asleep one time and Sian was driving on the Périphérique we were heading down south to Gap. I woke up as we were passing Charles de Gaulle airport, then after a really good sleep, I woke up to Sians cursing as we were passing it again:ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I travel alone (apart from dogs who are pretty hopeless map-readers) and avoid Paris like the plague-even in a car. Did it once, never again. Maybe I'm just too used to rural driving now!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Like any major city it depends on the time of day. Most of the time I find the A26/A1 down to CDG fine, although try to avoid approching CDG from 0700 local to about 0930 if possible. To avoid most of the peripherique just past CDG follow the A3/E15. This puts you back on the peripherique at Bagnolet. Tthe main SP is for Bordaux, although this isn't consistant! If you are going to the A6 south you need exit A6a of the peripherique.

The main trick on the peripherique is to know your exit AND the one before it before you get on it. Each exit name also has the name of the next exit on it which in theory gives you time to get over to the nearside, although some exits are quite close together, (the one before A6a is an example).

WARNING if you do get on it in busy times the biggest danger is scooters/motorbikes. they seem to think that putting their hazards on gives them complete right of way, and some are not adverse to giving you a kick as you go past if they think you're not giving them enough room.

All part of the fun of France!

Malcolm

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Driving anticlock around the M25 in our old eurovan a few years ago with the wife driving. Susan has a habit of wanting to turn off at every slip road :Doh: so was under strict instructions to stay on the M25 and not to turn off for any reason, so what happens? The M26 ::bigsmile:

For some reason the road designers made the road straight ahead turn into the M26, you need to take the slip to stay on the M25, so there we were heading for Folkestone, and as she informed me when I complained, it was my fault, I had told her not to take any slip roads.:Doh:

Ian

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have done it twice in a car but I wouldn't fancy it in the MH. You do need to change lanes a lot, sometimes at the last minute and I don't feel I have the visibility in the van to do so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back