Route Planning

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Duff, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Duff

Duff Read Only Funster

Hi, total beginner here i am afraid !
    Pick our new motorhome up in a few weeks and starting to think about where to go and how. Its a 6 berth and rather long so i was wondering how people plan their routes ? I clearly dont want to get stuck in a little village or under a low bridge
    How do you plan your routes and are there any Motorhome specific Sat Navs or Phone Apps ?
    Many thanks
    Duff

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

A regular sat nav works fine
    Look out for road signs warning of low bridges and narrow streets and you'll be fine.
    We've used ours all over Europe without issue in a 7.6m van
    If you approach a road that looks tight, simply stop, zoom out on your sat nav screen, pick another street and carry on.
    Camper specific sat navs only cover major routes so are not totally reliable.
    Enjoy your travels

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. mushy

mushy Funster

I'm a beginner but also an HGV driver so very little worries me regarding where I can drive. Just remember if the bus or the bin lorry can go there, you should have no trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gordon-G

Gordon-G Funster

What Mushy said.......drove a fire engine for 25 years, it's amazing what can fit through some streets.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yorick

Yorick Funster

No. 1 planning trip.

Make sure the fridge is full of beer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

That's a thing we always look out for,if bins are out you can get through
    No problems.:)

7. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Most Sat Navs can be programmed for a particular size of vehicle, hubby uses CoPilot app on his phone & it's more reliably than our SatNav!

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Look out for bins, but also keep a keen eye out for large tankers. :)

In France the Michelin atlas is useful as it shows bridge heights.

9. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I'm assuming the new M/H is your first? Well don't worry too much about the size, it's amazing how quickly you'll get used to it; just don't forget that there are two of you (I presume again) and if you're in doubt, stop and one of you get out and have a proper look.

Don't rely too much on a satnav either; despite driving hundreds of thousands of miles I've only ever got stuck following the satnav rather than my own common sense!

You're about to embark on probably the second best adventure of your lives so take your time and ENJOY!

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We do have a camper specific sat nav now, but managed perfectly well for many years using a regular one. When the sat nav directs you to do something (camper specific or not) it's up to you whether or not you actually do it!
    The road signs will direct you, and you'll see things like a sign saying 'Avoiding low bridge' directions etc. you just have to be more aware of the signs.
    As for route planning, it's good to have a plan, so you know what it is you're ignoring :D

11. SMB

SMB Funster

I have Copilot truck on my phone and tablet which lets you put in the vehicles dimensions, rarely lets me down but isn't totally infallible. Plenty of apps for campsites such as ACSI, Archies, Park4night, Motorhome Parkings etc. Also ViaMichelin app can be handy. If you have a Windows laptop then Autoroute 2013 is very good and its a good way of remembering where you have been on your travels as you can create maps i.e. war sites, hiking campsites. It was discontinued in 2013 but I managed to buy a copy online.

12. Duff

Duff Read Only Funster

Thanks all, some good advice - best one being the beer in the fridge !
    Yes this is our first motorhome, cant wait to get started
    Thanks again
    Duff

13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

:drink::wine::beerchug::cheers:

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Remember if the bins are out its bin day so big lorry coming in the other direction :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if you cant reverse for at least a mile then you arent capable of driving the vehicle at all.
    i really dont know why it isnt in the driving test.
    vote for me and it could be . ha ha .

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN and try not to worry too much, as others have said you'll soon get use to the size and forward planning is the key. (y)

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

but rearward planning is equally important in some cases .
    just stay off toll roads , motorways and avoid dual carriageways . eyes open look for height limits .
    go slow enjoy the journey .

18. sueandjohn

sueandjohn Funster

Try not to worry. We had our first trip last year and I was a 'worry bucket'
    We planned every mile and every stop through France and it spoiled the first 3 days! Then we relaxed and enjoyed it. Like someone else said, if it's a bus route or wheeli bins are on the street chances are it's ok.
    Just be careful with French and Spanish villages. Park up and check on foot if you are worried. Most of all enjoy!

19. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

These will help for France and Spain. aboutfrance.com , About-Spain.net

20. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

We upgraded from a VW T5 pop-top to a high top PVC last year and the height worried me, especially as we had in the summer used a sat nav to get across a city (can't remember which one) in France and it took us through an underpass of about 2.1m - it was a one-way busy route so if we'd had our current van and I'd had to stop and reverse it would have been interesting to say the least! As a result I took advice from this great site and was recommended Navmii sat nav for the phone as it has a lorry/RV option. It's free to download for UK/ROI and only about £2.99 for each european country so not big bucks.
    We've used it extensively and find it to be really good, very clear and seems to route in a logical way. It uses GPS so does not use or need data and it has replaced my old satnavs (Tom Tom and a Garmin) which I just keep as a back-up.
    We did Luxembourg city in June and I'd not charged my phone (silly - I normally keep the phone on charge as I use it but was having a lazy day) so used the Tom Tom and that took us in via a back road and up to a 2.5m bridge which we couldn't go under so had to back track. When we went back there two days later Navmii took us on a different route - whether that is because it knew about the bridge or it was just chance I don't know but it worked on that occasion.
    As an aside, I used Navmii when I hired a car in the US - £2.99 per state so spent £8.97 on sat-nav and it worked really well over there.
    In case you've not guessed I'm a big fan...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1