Route Planning App?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ron & Gerri, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Hello lovely people! We are trying (unsuccessfully so far!) to plan our 4-5 week summer tour. We have booked our Dover-Calais ferry.....that's it!
    Now, we have one or two ideas of places we want to see. Well, I want to see, Ron just wants to get far enough South to get hot weather! I want to include Chartres, Oradour sur Glanes, Guedelon Castle, and spend some time in the Dordogne again. Ron wants to drive through Southern Germany and see some of the castles on the Romantische Straße. Can anyone recommend a good app that will help us plan this tour? Many only allow a few stops. What do you guys do when you plan a big trip?
    Thanks in advance! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

maps.me - but don't plan in to much detail - just identify the areas you want to go to and roughly how long you want to spend in each area - after that just go where you fancy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Agree, if you plan from now till you go you won't keep to it, just go where you think is the right way and just grab an aire when you feel like stopping(y)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

He's right (y)

Also worth a look at other peoples blogs for inspiration ;) haha......

The Romantic Straße section of my blog starts here :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Do a bit, consult "Campercontact", select from their selection of Campsites, Aires, Stelplatzs, servicepoints. Recommend joining £4.60, then download the relevant maps so it will work "offline" Mosey along, you can use their built in "Route" to the site(sat nav on your phone job) and if it is what you like, Bobs your uncle. If not mosey along to the next !
    Sounds like you are retired so not on a must be home tour, lucky devils !!
    To do the Romantische Strasse properly I would guess you need another week or so ! Don't miss out Fusson and Neuschwanstein. Just back from three weeks down there, not long enough ! (y)

PS. Freiburg, smashing golf course, nice one near Augsburg too, ooh can I come?

• Like Like x 2
  6. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

maps.me and camper contact are great

• Like Like x 2
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Park4night great free app, not routes but every stopping place all over Europe

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I normally use google maps as it gives miles and hours for each sector of your journey

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

@Gerri19 ooooh lucky lucky you two. 5 week trip around France. I've been all over the world but never France. Not even on a weekend break. Food , wine Fruit de mare .... Right up my street.
    We will go once we've been to Norway next year. Hope your taking all your marking ( not !) We have to wait till Ralph retires to be able to do so long. Comes in handy being a teacher sometimes. Long holidays. See you soon at Misterton , pug will be a little bit nearer to being finished.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

We got one of the laminated maps so we can plot routes but clean off for future use.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Aw! Thanks for all your replies guys! Sorry I didn't reply before, leave a thread overnight and before you know it you're on page 4 and obscurity! I think I might try a combination of ALL your ideas, sounds perfect! So what about a mini Funsters tour to France next summer @Ralph-n-Bev and @Allan & Loren? Even just a week or two would be a real hoot!

• Like Like x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

Aren't we invited then:(

13. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

The more the merrier! :party2:

14. chaser

chaser Funster

We go to France 4 or 5 times a year , fort nights usually but one big one for 5 weeks in September, October, as Julie used to live there she has friends around the twin lakes / blaye area so we always tend to end up there but do roundabout tours to get there, we are going next Tuesday the 23 rd but only for 10 days so will probably stay North and into Belgium , probably park up at gravelines for a few days and get the bus out to other places, but as I said waste of time planning as something always crops up that changes our plans.(y):)

15. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Going for a few weeks myself after Misterton, going to stay around Brittany this time Dinan, St Malo etc Meandering around the Rance as haven't done it for a few years.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Cool! I'm hoping to get a few more ideas from peeps at Misterton! I'm very excited!

• Like Like x 2