Route options Zaragoza to Pau (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There appears to be a main road and a somewhat less main road

Has anybody done both or either and have any useful input?

I was aiming for an aire in Laruns which means the less main route

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I believe we did that route (less main road) on the M/bikes coming back from Valencia a year or three back up through Huesca from what I can remember was a bit "twisty" but very scenic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The bit to Huesca is common, a decision has to be made at Sabinanigo

I need somebody else to blame when Bev says WTF are we doing here

(That's not made Jims text correction yet then) :D

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Yep we went up the N260/A136 a few little villages fuel stops was not that bad for bigger vehicles but with nine other bikes all jockeying for position a few things got missed (sometimes very close,but missed ):)
I'm sure someone who has been that way more recently will be along in a mo .

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yep we went up the N260/A136 a few little villages fuel stops was not that bad for bigger vehicles but with nine other bikes all jockeying for position a few things got missed (sometimes very close,but missed ):)
I'm sure someone who has been that way more recently will be along in a mo .

That will do for me, a recommendation from a life member (y)

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Hi, done this route many times in the car, road widths are fine and have seen many motorhomes on the routes. It's either through the Somport tunnel, or using the N260 over the top!!! As previous post says the decision has to be made at Sanbinanigo. Weather will be a factor as a lot of snow on the N260 route in winter, with occasional road closures. We have used the tunnel in Dec and Jan without any real problems. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thank you, our decision was made and completed a few hours ago, we opted for over the top, nice run, Bev a bit concerned about the white roads on the map, but all OK

Not unlike driving in Scotland, the French side is the worst, much narrower, unforgiving rock faces

Col de Pourtalet, 1794m high, still well below the top, a little disappointing summit

I would use again but probably use Somport tunnel, we wee aiming for an aire that we couldn't get into at Laruns so might as well have gone the long way round

more comment in my thread 'Granada and back' (y)

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
do you need snow chains on the samport route jan/feb and do they have to be fitted if not snowing? or just have them on board in case it does

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we took the slightly higher route over the 'col', on the Spanish side (our way up) they have a couple of large laybys with signage for stopping area to fit chains

This road did lead up to skiing car parks though

I would not expect you to need to fit them if not needed, but I have heard the French police can ask to see if you have them and if you are asked to fit but cant you can be in trouble, probably another MH myth :D

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Was thinking of taking the Somport Tunnel route south in early January, really just for a change rather than the nightmare that is Biaritz. I've got winter tyres fitted but not interested in snow chains - my philosophy is if I think I might need them I'm not going - and was wondering if carrying them was compulsory on that route?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
033.JPG
I had to go over the top in early July as the Tunnel was closed due to fallen rock. It was raining & thick mist/fog. Could barely see 2m in front. Opposite the derelict French border post this bloke was wandering about .:unsure:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I have actually been over the top some years ago, before the tunnel was completed (in a 4WD), in June. But I suspect it might be a bit different in January......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back