Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
West Scotland-Loch Lomond
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006... but caravans and tents before that
Our holiday to France in May now seems such a long time ago, and I'm having withdrawal symptoms, and feeling "homesick" for France:cry:

So......I've just booked the tunnel, and we're off again in September for 3 weeks:thumb:

Now I really fancy "doing" the Route Napoleon, but am a bit concerned about the suitability of the roads for a largish motorhome.
Has anyone been on this route? I would really appreciate some advice - not only about the road itself but also about sites, aires, stops etc.
I've go all the books, cards, maps, dvds etc., but first hand experience would be so much better:Smile:

Cheers,

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Kooky,

I've done the Route Napoleon a few times but never in a motorhome - only on motorbikes - so I can't say anything useful about sites. The road itself is really very good and I wouldn't hesitate taking my large(ish) MH along it. We did venture off it a couple of times and it got quite narrow and just a wee bit scary, so beware. Loads of lovely French aires.
The only downside will be all these bloody bikers......:Blush:

Norrie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone been on this route?
Cheers,

Never forget it. There we were, me and my wife hugging a tree because it was the only way we could shelter from the stair-rods. Bike was parked nearby. Some spectacular views though a lot was hidden in clouds.

We did Nice then north. Love Nice, a really nice place.

We have it in the back of our mind to do it in the MH one day.

Hope you have better weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I have been up and down it a few times, my M/H is only just over 6 metres but we had no problems. Beautiful scenery, so just allow plenty of time.

A must see place is the Verdon Gorge near Castellane. We have stopped at Camping International which is on the Route Napoleon as well as a campsite along the road to the Gorge. There are several supermarkets nearby.

The drive around the gorge can be quite hairy in places but coaches do it so a large M/H should be ok.

Phil.

OP
OP
Kooky

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Norrie,

Thanks for your reply, it's put my mind at rest a bit.
OH is a biker too, he has a Moto Guzzi Nevada at the moment..............but no way is he taking that:whatthe:

OP
OP
Kooky

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Phil and hilldweller.

Castellane is on my list, and I will check out the campsite on the web.
I'm really looking forward to the scenery, and as we have 3 weeks we can take our time.
The idea is to end up at the med, but who knows:Smile:

Northy

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi, did the Route Napolean about 5 years ago in a 25 foot m/h had no problems at all, just take your time and enjoy the scenery. Castellane is a must and there is an Aire at the far end of the village, gets a bit busy in the peak season so get in early. If you go through Grasse watch for pedestrians they seem to just step out from anywhere they feel like and expect you to stop for them. Have fun

OP
OP
Kooky

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Northy.......the aire sound interesting, and I will look out for pedestrians in Grasse:Smile:

Lincolnshire Rover..........................great photos, but..................:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
I got vertigo just looking at them::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Kooky

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
OH has just read your post hilldweller..........................and agrees:ROFLMAO:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Northy.......the aire sound interesting, and I will look out for pedestrians in Grasse:Smile:

Lincolnshire Rover..........................great photos, but..................:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
I got vertigo just looking at them::bigsmile:

Thats the easy part of the route further south is a bit more intense but fantastic views its the motorcycle riders that put the fear of christ up you heading towards you with their knee on the tarmac taking the hairpin bends not to mention the one's that overtake you on blind bends :thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We had two surprises at the top of Route Napoleon.

The first on was in the small village near the top of he climb from the south. On entering the village we were confronted by two iraffes. A bit furthe on we came across the Cirque de Paris at rest and exercising the aninmals. If the circus lorries can get up there it should be OK for a largish motorhome.

Many years before that (late 70s) we found a site also near the same village which had a row of toilets that all flushed automatically atthe same time, no matter what you were doing. It certainly brings you back to reality in a very short time. Hopefully they have now updated these strange loos.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We had two surprises at the top of Route Napoleon.

The first on was in the small village near the top of he climb from the south. On entering the village we were confronted by two Giraffes. A bit further on we came across the Cirque de Paris at rest and exercising the animals. If the circus lorries can get up there it should be OK for a largish motorhome.

Many years before that (late 70s) we found a site also near the same village which had a row of toilets that all flushed automatically at the same time, no matter what you were doing. It certainly brings you back to reality in a very short time. Hopefully they have now updated these strange loos.

Northy

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
Kooky, the Aires at Castellane is at the far end of the village just off the main rd (Travelling towards Grasse)

OP
OP
Kooky

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Northy,
I "googled" Castellane aire, and found a really good photo....it looks as if it's beside a bridge.
I also noticed that there were quite large motorhomes in the aire, so if they can get there so can we:thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Bump: any more feedback on Route Napoleon in a MH ? aires, places to stop and things to do ?

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Just driven it last week nice route in our 7 metre Burnster no problem only a couple of place a bit hairy but coaches on the route too enjoy

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Took the Route Napoleon this week on a 4 day trip in the region, we had great weather (24º most days) and the area is really very nice indeed.

The road is easy enough in a camper, nothing too challenging at all and there's plenty of campsites and aires along the way. Sisteron was very nice as was Castellane where we used the aire in the centre of the town although there are 2 others in Castellane but we took the lazy option. Well worth a trip through the are as the scenery is quite special and different to anything else you may find in France.

Reactions: DBK

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Few pics: