Route des Grandes Alpes (1 Viewer)

petertee

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
since June 2008
Musing about a May/June trip to S France and remembering a trip down to the Med which I did in 1963 :Eeek:. We went down the Route Napoleon from Grenoble via Grasse to the Riviera and returned via Switzerland (and eventually Paris) up the Route des Grandes Alpes over passes such as Col de Cayolle, de Vars, Galibier, Iseran etc all well over 2000m.
My question is what experience advice does anyone have on taking a MH over these passes?

Cheers

Peter

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
I have done both of these routes but only in car.

So long as your motorhome is healthy :thumb: and you don't go any earlier than May, I would have thought you should not have any problems so long as you take your time and don't look down:roflmto::roflmto:

I have read of others who have traversed the Route by motorhome

view previous post

Link Removed

OP
OP
petertee

petertee

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
since June 2008
Hi Jinks?

Thanks for your reply and the link to previous posts.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Musing about a May/June trip to S France and remembering a trip down to the Med which I did in 1963 :Eeek:. We went down the Route Napoleon from Grenoble via Grasse to the Riviera and returned via Switzerland (and eventually Paris) up the Route des Grandes Alpes over passes such as Col de Cayolle, de Vars, Galibier, Iseran etc all well over 2000m.
My question is what experience advice does anyone have on taking a MH over these passes?

Cheers

Peter

Yes - we drove the Route Napoleon in our van - spectacular! Stayed on the Camping Cordelia as I recall.

We 'did' the Grand St Bernard Pass in early June and lost our brakes ... :Eeek: and also had black smoke pouring from the exhaust - apart from that - fantastic!

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995

Cheers

Peter

We did a lot of the route that you are talking about last year in late June. Galibier and Iseran are spectacular and as has been said, is easy for a healthy motorhome. The temperatures were sub-zero on Galibier but the views made it worth it. Iseran is higher, warmer when we were there and much easier to park at the top.

The Route Napoleon is, to my mind, at its best just to the north of Grasse. We found plenty of lat-bys to stop in to take pictures of the stunning scenery.

I think you have chosen a good route for motorhoming.

Have fun.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
advice

hi there, have done it with a d reg talbot tallisman, and a 1900 boxer diesel starfire, both in late may, a tip some ne gave me was take a short piece of wire, about 8 inches, put a terminal on each end, at the bottom jump the switch on the fans, have them blowing constant, remember to remove, went over grand massiff last june, oh yes with 125 bike on rack, no problem with over heating, of course, on its own fans cut in when hot, before it cools, gets even hotter, this way starts cool ,, stays cool,, never go without wire, even loaned it to fellow camper on st gottengurg route,, travel well, remember any road is a good road if it goes somewhere :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We have done quite a few passes over the years Route Napoleon is fairly tame, in general just check the road width, gradients (C.Club Caravan Europe Vol 1 for France) There are a couple of passes restricted to 3.5T and some with low tunnels studying Michelin Maps is worthwhile. We`ve never had a problem other than one attempt to cook the brakes by going too fast in too high a gear. I now engage a very low gear and take my time!

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
We have done quite a few passes over the years Route Napoleon is fairly tame, in general just check the road width, gradients (C.Club Caravan Europe Vol 1 for France) There are a couple of passes restricted to 3.5T and some with low tunnels studying Michelin Maps is worthwhile. We`ve never had a problem other than one attempt to cook the brakes by going too fast in too high a gear. I now engage a very low gear and take my time!

That's what we did on the Grand St. Bernard, but it b******d the diesel filter because of the high altitude! :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back