Route de la Cavaliere (N9) Millau

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by steveclecy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Returned yesterday from a 15 night trip to France, in which we reached the Mediterranean at Agde. It was absolutely fantastic, cold on the route south but very hot on the Med.

The highlight of the trip for me, though, was not crossing the famous Millau bridge on the A75 travelling south (which was extremely impressive and well worth stopping at the Aire de Service immediately prior) but in fact negotiating the Route de la Cavaliere, the former main road into Millau from the south before the A75 was built. Leave the A75 at Sortie 47 (the last one before the peage for the bridge) and follow the signs for Millau.

I am sure many Funsters will have travelled this road, but it was my first time travelling north and the descent into Millau is truly spectacular, like landing in an aircraft. Take the opportunity, if you can, at stopping at the only Panorama point to take in the views. We were past it before we realised it was the only proper view point and it was impractical to return. Some of the views can be seen on Google Streetview but they are nothing compared to the real thing.

Steve

2. TDH

TDH Funster

Yes, its a great trip isn't it. Better by a huge amount since the bridge was completed - it used to be nose-to-tail all the way down into Millau.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Totally agree, the views from the old road traveling north are breathtaking.
    We came back up that way last month,stopping at the viewpoint halfway down.
    You have to be lucky to find a space to pull in as its almost always full,and difficult to turn round once your in.
    Before they built the bridge hardly a month went by without an accident on that road.There used to be a yard at the bottom full of the remains of caravans years ago.

4. territo

territo Read Only Funster

Millau Bridge

Currently in a site by the river in Millau, about to go out and take photos of the bridge from the town while testing local beer. Especially nice in this clear hot sun.

Also nice to meet and talk to funsters Loujess in Sarlat, by coincidence I already met them a few weeks ago at Misterton.