May 8, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All

I have a caravan but later this year I will be using a motorhome to do Route 66 from Los Angeles to Chicago.

Never driven a motorhome before or even stayed in one so it's all new. So joined up to ask some basic questions.

Wish me luck!!!!

OP
OP
Sirrogue58

Sirrogue58

Free Member
May 8, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks. Will be picking up motor home day after we land but got a rough idea what it looks like but that's it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sirrogue58

Sirrogue58

Free Member
May 8, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks I bought the DVD for my wife for her birthday Saturday just gone this trip was a dream of hers. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Wish me luck!!!!
Good Luck! - and welcome to the Fun :hiya:
I did a part of the original Route 66 (by car) a few years ago, Kingman to Flagstaff if I remember correctly. Came in from Phoenix to Kikngman, then headed east and off to Gallup and Farmington and all points north. Only a small section; I'd just love to do the whole trip - I hope you have a most wonderful time!
When do you go?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and Welcome
Perhaps have the hire company email you a list of exactly what is included inside the motorhome for your holiday. I seem to remember reading about a couple having to immediately go to shops to buy stuff that you'd expect to be already there.
Do some research online about stopover places along your route, other than regular camp sites. Friend and her late husband did an 8 month tour of the States years ago, ( neither had ever stepped inside a motorhome before) stopped in some remote places and had no problems at all but we've all seen " There's Something about Mary" :Eeek:

If you can, video the handover from the hiring co as its really not easy to remember everything. I couldn't work out why the water heater wouldn't work then remembered I'd been told to remove the outside vent cover..........

A very exciting trip. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Sirrogue58

Sirrogue58

Free Member
May 8, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We fly out 13th September. And to make you all a little jealous... we won the holiday which includes flights, motorhome hire and campsites. The stop overs are being booked for us too.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We fly out 13th September. And to make you all a little jealous... we won the holiday which includes flights, motorhome hire and campsites. The stop overs are being booked for us too.
:eek: Unfair!

Seriously,
Congratulations-Wishes-Banner.png

Do you book your own campsites & travel when you want, or are they pre-booked for you? Tell all!!!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
w2f and by the time you get back, you may have found to your cost just how contagious motorhoming can be !

OP
OP
Sirrogue58

Sirrogue58

Free Member
May 8, 2017
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
:eek: Unfair!

Seriously,
Congratulations-Wishes-Banner.png

Do you book your own campsites & travel when you want, or are they pre-booked for you? Tell all!!!

They book the campsites for us but we can tweek it if we fancy doing something on route like visit Las Vegas or the Grand Canyon they will book a site for us there. The company is www.bon-voyage.co.uk. We won it with the Caravan and Motorhome Club via Face Book.

Reactions: CWH

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hahaha not sure about that, we only bought our 1st caravan last year 2003 Bailey Senator Vermont.
I came to motorhoming from a Senator and they are good vans, but wait until you see how easy touring becomes :LOL:

Whatever the future brings, enjoy your trip (y)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Since you've managed to wangle yourselves a cheapskate holiday :rolleyes: can I just mention that to get the full benefit of MotorHome Fun you need to subscribe - it's just £15 annual fee and gives you unlimited access - at the moment you're restricted to certain areas of the Forum and you've technically run out of free posts (5). Once you've subscribed you'll also get access to discounts with some camping traders, and be able to send & receive Personal Messages. It won't be long before you realise that it's the best £15 you'll ever spend!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:pink:

Wow what a trip something I need to do :)

Just remember to keep the steering wheel side on the white line and alls good.
Can't be that difficult they let Americans drive over there :D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just remember to keep the steering wheel side on the white line and alls good.
Err... I seem to recall white lines at the SIDE of the road and YELLOW lines in the middle - 'course we were usually on one-lane-in-each-direction roads...
(or are you just having fun with Sirrogue58???)

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Err... I seem to recall white lines at the SIDE of the road and YELLOW lines in the middle - 'course we were usually on one-lane-in-each-direction roads...
(or are you just having fun with Sirrogue58???)

Just having fun

But when I was over there in the 80's they had white lines between lanes as we do here, think they were broken as here also :D

Reactions: CWH

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I recommend you watch the film "RV" with Robin Williams before you go. That should give you a list of things you need to to understand on handover before you start the journey.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We rented RVs from Cruise America a couple of times long before we bought a motorhome.
The rental company will show all you need to know.
The first thing we did was to call in at the first Walmart and buy cheap folding chairs and barbeque. We kept the receipts and Cruise America bought them from us for the price we paid!
"camping" in an RV is very simple. Most sites have "pull through" pitches so you dont need to reverse and they also have mains water, mains electric and many have mains grey water connections too. A simple matter of drive in, connect up and you are sorted.
No cassette emptying either as RVs have big black tanks which you empty with a big hose.
Have fun!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The scene is set, North Rim Grand Canyon, 30' RV, BBQ , fire ring and all hooked up .
This was our last trip from Chicago to St Louis, Memphis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Alberquerque , much of it on Route 66 then on to Monument, Zion and Las Vegas, a one month holiday to remember
You will love it over there, fabulous.
Beware mirrors, because cab is narrower than the hab area mirrors are very wide and a 500$ + excess for a broken mirror hurts.

image.jpeg

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The scene is set, North Rim Grand Canyon, 30' RV, BBQ , fire ring and all hooked up .
This was our last trip from Chicago to St Louis, Memphis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Alberquerque , much of it on Route 66 then on to Monument, Zion and Las Vegas, a one month holiday to remember
You will love it over there, fabulous.
Beware mirrors, because cab is narrower than the hab area mirrors are very wide and a 500$ + excess for a broken mirror hurts.

View attachment 162051
Great picture Larry.....(y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
WE used Camping World and had a Damon Daybreak Sport and this site at Zion National Park was the only one we had to reverse into all the others were drive through.

USA 103_800x600.jpg

Thouroughly enjoyed the experience and I'm sure you will too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back