Rough over the Pyrenees today (1 Viewer)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Drove up from near Teruel today, heavy rain but no real problem until we started to climb the Pyrenees, saw a few cars coming in the opposite direction covered in snow. Didn't think too much if it until we encountered a huge queue of HGVs stationary in the nearside lane, carried on in the outside lane for a Mike or so and ground to a halt. Road was sheet ice and nothing was moving, was stationary for over 2 hours before we slowly moved on. Think an artic had crashed through the barrier blocking both carriageways.

Attachments

• IMG_20161123_144709594.jpg
    IMG_20161123_144709594.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 262

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yep, Winter is coming!. Not the first time I have followed a Snow Plough (A15 to Pamplona). Once in a 28ft R-V towing a car on a trailer!, with a convoy of British Motor-homes behind! Did the N121A once, that was hairy!.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Oh dear, we sail on Sunday for Spain and hoping to arrive in Benidorm on Tuesday morning. I knew I was leaving it a bit late.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do you think spring will be in the air next week in readiness for my forthcoming travels.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
According to the BBC the UK is going to get better weather than Spain or Portugal next week due to a high pressure system over the UK and a low pressure system over Southern Spain so those of you down there get ready for the wind and rain

And Scotland get ready for more ice due to the clear skies at night

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Can I ask when Pyrenees sort of area becomes bearable in the Spring, ie how late Feb, Mar or Apr should I leave till it is a lot better than UK, I have to be back home earlyish May.
I am easy to please its the other half I have to keep smiling. We did Bavaria April May and that was fine ! Sorry to diversify the thread, thanks !
I know that with the weather it is always a gamble But I have not been so far South in the van.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Drove up from near Teruel today, heavy rain but no real problem until we started to climb the Pyrenees, saw a few cars coming in the opposite direction covered in snow. Didn't think too much if it until we encountered a huge queue of HGVs stationary in the nearside lane, carried on in the outside lane for a Mike or so and ground to a halt. Road was sheet ice and nothing was moving, was stationary for over 2 hours before we slowly moved on. Think an artic had crashed through the barrier blocking both carriageways.
@Xabia Got to cross the Pyrenees next week and was wondering what way you went,was thinking of going via the Somport tunnel.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We are crossing border next week but will be crossing at Irun. Not sure which way to go from there yet towards Villajoyosa.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can I ask when Pyrenees sort of area becomes bearable in the Spring, ie how late Feb, Mar or Apr should I leave till it is a lot better than UK, I have to be back home earlyish May.
I am easy to please its the other half I have to keep smiling. We did Bavaria April May and that was fine ! Sorry to diversify the thread, thanks !
I know that with the weather it is always a gamble But I have not been so far South in the van.

One option,? We stayed on a site near St Jean De Luz. And waited for a better weather window Once. Just off J2 of the A63/E80.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
According to the BBC the UK is going to get better weather than Spain or Portugal next week due to a high pressure system over the UK and a low pressure system over Southern Spain so those of you down there get ready for the wind and rain

And Scotland get ready for more ice due to the clear skies at night
sHowing rain here sat & sun then normal service is resumed.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Weather supposed to be OK for the next 2 days in Benidorm and then rain for a week until we go home. We're having fun but the weather is nowhere near as good as this time last year.

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
We have been in Benidorm since the beginning of September and have found the weather far better this year than last year. We have not had nowhere near as much rain and its been a lot warmer.

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Is the journey through central France, down to Narbonne, Barcelona, Valencia etc a lot further from the UK, you would obviously miss out the winter covering on the Pyrenees. Just wonder why so many Funsters choose the Westerly route down to Spain.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Is the journey through central France, down to Narbonne, Barcelona, Valencia etc a lot further from the UK, you would obviously miss out the winter covering on the Pyrenees. Just wonder why so many Funsters choose the Westerly route down to Spain.
Because you avoid going over the Massif Central from Clermont.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yep, Winter is coming!. Not the first time I have followed a Snow Plough (A15 to Pamplona). Once in a 28ft R-V towing a car on a trailer!, with a convoy of British Motor-homes behind! Did the N121A once, that was hairy!.
We have been using the N121A from Irun to Pamplona every January for the last few years and have yet to see snow ? Lucky or what !

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are crossing border next week but will be crossing at Irun. Not sure which way to go from there yet towards Villajoyosa.
I have done this many times in the winter.
Suggest you take N121A to Pamplona - Zaragoza - Valencia - A7 -Alicanti and up to Villajoyosa. All toll free and good roads.

OP
OP
Xabia

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
@Xabia Got to cross the Pyrenees next week and was wondering what way you went,was thinking of going via the Somport tunnel.
I came up from Zaragoza to Donostia. Normally the roads are kept very clear this way, the carriageway going South was kept clear with snowploughs constantly up and down (literally down against the flow of traffic!), but complete absence on the northbound carriageway. I think the Roads on the French side of the Somport would have been very bad.

Lovely dry, sunny drive today to Sainte Maure de Touraine.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I came up from Zaragoza to Donostia. Normally the roads are kept very clear this way, the carriageway going South was kept clear with snowploughs constantly up and down (literally down against the flow of traffic!), but complete absence on the northbound carriageway. I think the Roads on the French side of the Somport would have been very bad.

Lovely dry, sunny drive today to Sainte Maure de Touraine.

They keep the French side clear normally as it is an important route through the Pyrenees and access up the valley for residents and to the ski resorts...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Drove down the A9/AP7 from Narbonne to L'Estartit today in lovely sunshine.
Bit of a holdup on the Spanish section of the motorway due to a broken down truck in the roadworks but the only snow was high up on the mountain tops, way, way higher than we were.

Richard.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Less chance of snow while following the coast.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Can't really understand why you would go over the Pyrenees this time of year i would of thought better to stick to the main roads or motorways happy travels Rod

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Can't really understand why you would go over the Pyrenees this time of year i would of thought better to stick to the main roads or motorways happy travels Rod

All the major routes have tunnels, they are well prepared if there is snow, if the routes are closed they are signed as such a long way before as well as on the internet, France and Spain have reasonable weather forecasts available, the coastal routes are equally prone to severe winter winds, you miss the mountain scenery if you along the coast...etc.

It just takes a little planning and have options available dependent on the route and weather forecast...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
'Cause it's snowing ? :) I'll be testing my snow chains Christmas,hopefully, up Can Franc. Depending on what it is like, how bad etc; I might even go over the Col du Somport.
http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/en/001889-webcam-weather-live-inland-aragón-col-du-somport.php

:cold::cold:

Drove up from near Teruel today,.

Actually considering it is only around 100kms to the coast , Teruel has the honour of being one of the hottest & coldest places in Spain. Some years below -20ºc isn't uncommon.:cold::cold:

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
we followed a french lorry up , they kept jumping off with shovels to clear the road, very interesting driving , especially coming down when the van was sliding , and we had to pass a large artic size conversion ,white knuckle stuff . this was on the route via Bielsa tunnel, afterthoughts where maybe we shouldn't have gone this way.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

You cannot say,,some winters it hardly snows and the ski resorts are moaning,,another year there is plenty but unlike the UK the roads don't stay blocked very long.When snow is forcast they send the gritters out before and park up in lay byes and wait for the snow and then plough and grit,,,Excellent,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
'Cause it's snowing ? :) I'll be testing my snow chains Christmas,hopefully, up Can Franc. Depending on what it is like, how bad etc; I might even go over the Col du Somport.
http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/en/001889-webcam-weather-live-inland-aragón-col-du-somport.php

:cold::cold:

Actually considering it is only around 100kms to the coast , Teruel has the honour of being one of the hottest & coldest places in Spain. Some years below -20ºc isn't uncommon.:cold::cold:

Have had minus 27 on way to Millau,,Didn't get out for a pee,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back