Rouen bypass avoiding low underpasses

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ShiftZZ, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Which is the best route to avoid the low bridge/underpass?
    Destination Brezolles..

Ta

2. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Rouen

The traffic always seems to be running fairly well on the direct through route when we are heading south. I have never had reason to want to by-pass the place, so I'm not aware of any low bridges. Some people by-pass Lyon because it can be a bit intimidating due to the tunnels but there again if you stay alert and keep your wits about you then it's ok.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Have driven through Lyon and yes the tunnels are impressive, but they do save a lot of time, the biggest issue I had was the loss of GPS to Tom Tom and then the need to catch up. I can agree that its not the best city to drive a MH, but as my Goddaughter lives there, I have no choice.

Thanks for the info re Rouen, I know its been mentioned before,

4. champers

champers Funster Life Member

We always try to avoid it like the plague :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: first time we went under that vey low bridge we were in Wilma (we had previously owned Loftys m/h) which was a conversion , we were diverted onto it by the Gendarme due to Bastille Day celebrartions , I thought I closed my eyes and ducked as low as I could in a split second thankfully John stayed focused but we were very very close to losing the top vents ..I come over faint just typing this :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Must add it was our first time in a camper van in Frnace, so we were naive about Rouen

We have driven the long way round Rouen without any probs but very slowly scanning for low bridge signs

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  5. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Ruin

We've been lost in Rouen so many times it's a disgrace ! If we take the normal route out down to Evreux it's fine, I know where I'm going it's no problem. Last year I thought no we'll take the road to Le Mans just for a change. I don't pay tolls on principle so the payage is a no no, set the sat nav for Le Mans (no tolls) managed to avoid going down any of the ring road tunnels (stay on the nearside lane all the the way) and then at the other end got completely lost because all the signs were for the payage. Somehow managed to get out of the city but couldn't find a bridge to cross the motorway nor could I even get on it anywhere even if I'd wanted to. After many U turns and and back tracking we made it out on the road we were looking for.
    On the way back through Rouen roads were closed bridges were shut and we got lost again ! I think we shall go around by Reims this year. Best of luck !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

you come around a roundabout and right in front of you is a low tunnel, best bet is to stay on the peage, that section is not that expencive just to get past Rouen. otherwise you will spend more time getting lost and trying to find a safe way through. Next to the restricted height tunnel is I think a restricted width tunnel anyone tried that? how bad is it. I seem to remember there is an alternative which is easy if you know it but what the hell stay on the peage and zip on through.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

We had always driven through Rouen (without any problem) but last time we went I was in the middle of an argument with my wife and all the kids were tired and fractious so I turned onto the peage just to get it over with as soon as possible :BigGrin:

For the sake of a few quid, it made me wonder why we hadn't always done it.
    Highly recommended :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. keith

keith Funster

Avoiding Rouen

Here is the route we use to miss out Rouen. All good roads and no tolls and we have used it many times.
    It follows the East side of the river and drops you on the A154 missing out all the industrial sites of Rouen and from there choose your route South.

Miss out Rouen route

It's also quicker because you don't get lost. :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  9. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, I agree with Keith's Route personally.
    Just out of interest where's the paege road in Rouen, can't see one on my map not until a town called Criquebeuf sur seine A13 south in one direction or at Bourg Achard A13 in westerly direction . Some 10 miles from centre of Rouen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Dave go straight through:thumb:.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I thought there was no peage around Rouen which is why you had to go through?

We got lost and fell foul of the tunnel about 3 years ago. Done the same journey three or four times since without any problems.

If you do get lost, drive slowly, keep a good lookout and tell the fuming French drivers to :swear: off:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Definately agree with this route. :thumb: Even with our RV no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Heyupluv

Roger we go through Rouen a lot and never ever been on a peage:Doh:...keep on the main road in and just before the water you head east following the river (follow TOMTOM) or go straight the bridge and then head east following the river again...lots of railway sidings and industrial companies...

TWO WAYS :thumb:

HEAD STRAIGHT INTO ROUEN..ON THE... N28-E402 ...THE MAIN ROAN IN FROM THE NORTH

KEEP ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE RIVER HEAD EAST D6015....D7.....A13....AND THEN HEAD SOUTH
    THIS ROUTE IS A BIT MORE SCENIC.

OR

MAIN ROAD IN FROM THE NORTH N28 - E402....CROSS THE RIVER PONT MATHILDE D6028,...E46,...E402,..D18E,....A13, E5......HEAD SOUTH.

...lots of railway sidings and industrial companies...

MEL

• Like Like x 2
  14. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

Simples

Yes Keith that's the route we choose when we don't want to get lost, but you can only get to know a place properly when you go round and round it, re visiting landmarks every 30mins and wondering how the hell you got back here again ! :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  15. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I've just had the Atlas Routier out to see which way we went.

I think we got onto the A13 peage (heading south to north), onto the N338 through Rouen then the A150 and A29 peage.

We had never been this way before but it seemed much quicker and easier keeping to the west side of the city (and no tunnels, if that's your bete noire :Smile: )

16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Agree....

This is the way I have always used, (except first time in 1984, when I did get lost).

Come in from the North as above. Once you cross the river on Pont Mathilde, turn off, not the first off but the secons, signed A13, Elbeuf, le Mans, ZI East,(it's quite a tight bend on the off slip) and then follow the railway, industrial estates and all the HGV's.....

very briefly onto the A13 then turn off south onto A154 then N154 towards Evreux....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We ran down though rowan to Dordogne
    And followed toll free option I remember going past all railway sidings and industry area does this mean I was lucky as I did not know rowan could be a problem

• Like Like x 1
  18. Heyupluv

Correct Callum...as far as I know there is NO Peage in Rouen....I am not saying once you exit the the outer regions of Rouen you will not finally come to a Peage...

also

If you are coming from Dieppe...then its the N27,..A151,..A150,..N338,..N138,...A13..THEN SOUTH...

OR
    IF YOU ARE A BIT UNSURE OF THE ROUTE THROUGH ROUEN AND YOU ARE COMING SOUTH FROM CALAIS.
    KEEP ON THE A28-E402,...THEN ONTO A29-E44...THEN .JOIN UP WITH THE OTHER ROUTE FROM DIEPPE THE A151.. A150,..N338,..N138,...A13..THEN SOUTH...:thumb:

Dave.. do not worry you will finally get out of the Bermuda triangle:RollEyes::RollEyes::Wink::Wink::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

If anyone is nervous about driving through the city, have a look at this route on Google street view.
    It's motorway/dual carriageway then two roundabouts before a six-lane bridge over the river and straight back on to the dual carriage way and motorway.

• Like Like x 1
  20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Been through Rouen many times, never had a problem :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2