rouen bridge any updates from traverllers

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by SC 05 OUT, Jul 30, 2013.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

anybody been over and back latly, are there any updates on the bridge being out and routes open

The route Im planning is a28, a29, a150, a151, over bridge, n1338,n138 and out

is this route flowing ok ? Im taking two newbies so Ive got to get my plans right
    heading for le mans and then on to the Veedee

2. Detnor

Detnor Funster

3. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

I went through there last month on my way to Le Mans.

The way you propose worked for me. By keeping to the west I sailed through, without any holdups.

This was a Sunday when no lorries were around, but my research prior to going all led me to go via N150/151.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 15edward

15edward Funster

we went that route early July- very straightforward- big holdup on the northside of the road on our way down - accident
    clear and well signed 3.00pm going on Friday and 1.00 pm back on a Thursday - signed Dieppe and Calais
    Our daughter and family were overnighting in central Rouen and also had no trouble either way - their satnav was fine and all routes clear

• Like Like x 1
  5. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Rouen bridge any updates from travellers

Coming back north on the diversions was a nightmare for us this year, the traffic was horrendous. Whether the diversions are still in place I don't know. If they are then I would advise you to take a different route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Going we have no option but go this way as were booked into a site at Durtal off the A11, ubt as its a sunday afternoon it should be quite quiet.

However I did wonder about coming back as it will be a friday afternoon, I might take the long sweep and come up the a137, a84 a13, then a29 over the bridge at le harve and ontowards calais, more miles but a saving on tolls and looks an easier route for newbees, Im dreading leading a convoy into roeun friday rush-hour with roads closed everyware:Eek!:

7. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

You need to bear in mind that the French people are having their annual holidays at this time and what might seem a quiet time could be the opposite. If I was going again, if the bridge is still closed I would take the route south that keeps the river on my right hand side.

8. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Plan to be there Friday morning... Will get you an update but pretty sure it's still closed.
    I am going south so will use the N road via Pont de la Arche..

9. sedge

sedge Funster

We were told by numerous peeps in France (both French and English persons) prior to our return home at the end of June, that it isn't due to re-open until 2014 ?

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Steve, it definatly colsed, its which way to take a convoy of neewbes that my problem

ps liked your vidios on utube

11. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Travelling in convoy can be an absolute nightmare, I have only done it once as the leader and you can loose friendships very easily. I would be inclined to say " we'll see you there". If you all have the same route you will eventually meet one another. None of my friends would volunteer at the time to take the lead, preferring to follow me all the way to Switzerland. This was about 30 years ago and we have always travelled solo ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  12. keith

keith Funster

Avoiding Rouen

This Google map (Link above) shows a way to miss out Rouen via Pont-de-L'Arche as mentioned before. Brings you out on the N154 heading South. Click on the Blue line to get driving instructions.

It follows the Eastern bank of the river so missing Rouen completely. We always go this way and have never met any substantial traffic, even at weekends, and it avoids going through Rouen after the closed bridge or battling with the mad French drivers on the diversion route :BigGrin: We used this route even before they closed the bridge. There is a nice little aire at Pont-de-L'Arche by the river, it is small though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Keith, this is the route we do use.
    However when coming south, at the point you turn off the main N28 is exactly where the road closes and all the traffic filters off up the slip road. Catch it at the wrong time and there are long queues. One trick to note is that most of the traffic does go right, so stay in the outer left lane to make your way up to the junction. Once you get left and across the road junction it's always clear....
    Good post on the map, sure it will help others..

• Like Like x 2
  14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thats a route I considered, and does come highly recomended, but as we're going onto the a13 east then the a28 south, I think my route will suit us better going, comeback might be a different kettle of fish, but by then the drivers will be acustomed to driving on the "wrong" side

15. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

not an option for us, my daughter who will bve towing a tt, has never driven over there, her partner does not drive and therefor wont be good a map reading or aware of triffice and signs ( a tribute a lot of young men seem to have today?:Doh:) with two kids in the back I think she will need a lttle help.

16. Leltel

Leltel Funster

Tried to avoid Rouen mid July, ended up driving through all the diversions :Eeek:
    Traffic flows steadily though....just watch out for any road signs that are slightly over the road....like the one my mirror said hello too :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We always route via Gourney en brey adds around 20 mins to journey but a nice drive. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  18. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

update:

We just got back from our trip we took the A28, A29, A151, A150 route, it was a Sunday so no lorries, no ques, it went really easy quicker I think than prvious years,:thumb:

coming back ther was a 30min delay at the a29, a28 toll.:Angry:

hth

19. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Hi Our daughter will be driving back by car to France from Calais, to south of Angoulême, on Thursday 29th this month (Aug). She will have our Sat Nav so just wondering if anyone can give concise directions for her to enter into the Sat Nav to navigate via Rouen and also any advice re navigating or avoiding Rouen. Many thanks in advance! Anna

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

we set the sat nav for somewere on the A151, I used co ordanats taken form autoroute, then set a route to caliais, I cant aces them at this time but will look later.