Rotten Swift - don't trust damp checks (1 Viewer)

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
For those of us who are new to mh's and were unaware of the swift damp problem, what models and years were affected

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
That'll be the category that Rita and I fit into then Paul, and why do you think that is?

When looking for our first MH, as ex tuggers, we had always admired the Swift styles and designs. Imagine to our horror, that with the aid of a damp meter, our search for our dream MH found four Swifts, all suffering from damp, prevalent in exactly the same place in all models.
One couple had just paid Broonfools for a habitation and damp test before putting their pride and joy up for sale. Isn't is strange how I, a complete novice, (but knew where to look) managed to find damp in their lovingly cared for MH. I felt really sorry for them, when I showed them the reading on the meter, and my wet finger from the source. :whatthe:

Remember Russell's (Rapide561) fiasco with his Swift MH which he was fulltiming in? It wasn't damp related, but the faults were horrendous.
We feel that the above discoveries and knowledge justify us being in the "never have and never will own a swift" brigade.

Best regards,

Jock & Rita ( owners of a 12 year old foreign built MH).

But here's the issue.
I have 2 friends, (well more than that of course but you know what I mean) 1 purchased a very expensive Burstner, you know the one. After 6 months due to inept build quality it ended up with them having to threaten action in order to have their big expensive Burstner.
So would I now not buy a Burstner? No chance, I would have one tomorrow, Although Ive never owned one, I wouldn't slate them on his experience.

other friend owned an Autotrail, after over 2 years of taking it back to the dealer, it finally went back to Hull to have the floor completely replaced.
Would I not buy and Autotrail? Yep I would have one of them tomorrow.

Our industry is full of shit products that either don't work or go wrong. I love it when an oven breaks down on a Swift, you get posters stating " bloody Swift" despite it being an oven from Dometic or someone else. Fridge blows up? thats swift;s fault. Fridge blows up on a Hymer? that's dometic's fault.

So we have a choice, we stop buying inept products, and that would mean approx 90% of the motorhome market gets no business, the other 10% goes to Frankia.

However, I like motorohoming, and I have come accustomed to what ever I buy likely to have problems, I carry a tool kit in my van and I bet most of you do. In a way, despite the cost I enjoy the odd trivial repair, today it's rattly blinds that need repairing.
The cost? is worth it in my opinion, for the enjoyment I get from it.

If I wanted a hassle free life I would not be a Motorhomer, END OF.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a thought..
Was the name Kontiki a bad choice right from the off ? A name associated with water .....

I well remember, as a lad, reading the book 'The Kon-Tiki Expedition' .. A raft that was built to try to cross the Pacific ( and indeed did so ) but only just as it became water logged !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
For those of us who are new to mh's and were unaware of the swift damp problem, what models and years were affected

...and where should i be poking my finger...???

Only from memory ::bigsmile:around 2006/7 model swift -also AUTO TRAIL ::bigsmile:(MUST ADMIT THAT SWIFT LOOKED AFTER CUSTOMERS A lot BETTER THAN AUTO TRAIL- less of a fight to do the fix :winky:
Basically all the floor areas especially around the edges :Eeek: under beds etc
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Oh and BTW,

Will some one please answer my question, especially all the so called swift damp experts.

Why has no one had a go at Marquis?

I recon for 6 years, at £200 a service, they owe the OP £1200, because they obviously aint been doing it properly?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Haganap makes a fair point - you are bound to get rogue vehicles.

It's the same with cars . I have had new BMW's that have been full of faults and others that were faultless.

The problem that the British manufacturers have though is that the faults are somehow expected. That's awful.

Same with Bailey - free 10 year warranty- now withdrawn.

What message does that send to a punter with money to spend?

It means I wouldn't buy a Bailey for starters.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh and BTW,

Will some one please answer my question, especially all the so called swift damp experts.

I recon for 6 years, at £200 a service, they owe the OP £1200, because they obviously aint been doing it properly?

I did suggest the OP sued Swift and the Dealer.

He has to sue the dealer as that is who the contract is with.

You would like to think that even the threat of legal action and such negative publicity would be enough for Swift and the dealer to put their heads together and come up with a solution.:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I am not going to get into an argument and I am only stating facts and what I see/know
(If this was/is an actual event)

This is taken from my own experience with Swift and also the facts stated by the op.
Op:
I purchased a new 2006 model Bessacarr E725 from Marquis. Every year I have complied with the conditions by having a habitation service and damp checks carried out. The damp check results have always been OK and there have never been any smells or other indications of a problem.
Please note:
I purchased a new
Then he states: The technician investigated and found that a seal fitted when the vehicle was manufactured had NOT been fitted correctly and water had been leaking past it for many years - probably before I purchased it.
Please note:
many years probably before I purchased it
Now no matter how anti Swift anyone is or even if you have had a bad experience with them the fact is simple
The op seems to be saying the impossible above, his words not mine
The dealer who did the damp check is the person who the op has a claim against, no one else
Also the op states:
The area of floor that produced the high damp reading was far wetter than could be attributed to the leaking window
Who stated that? Oh the company that failed to find the damp in the first place
We have had many posts started on here and other sites with similar intent and lack of clarity,
The facts as I know/see them
Swift had problems and once known have fixed them, I had the dreaded door issue on the Bolero (It was replaced)
I am unable to find any mention from the op on the Swift talk site (maybe he could provide a link so we can see the response from Swift)
Swift have fixed many problems out of warranty
Swift listen to their customers and have strived to improve constantly
We swopped our Hymer for a Swift and have had no regrets, yes the Hymer was a nice motorhome but it also had its faults. We are now onto our second Swift from new and we are more than happy with it. If you compare £ for £ then there is no competition, to get a Hymer with the layout and things we liked about our Swifts from new would have meant nearly twice the price
Swift is fine for us :thumb:

I was kicked off the other site for defending Swift, history will not repeat itself on here:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Having been given the choice of having the m/h collected and delivered back to us or we could deliver it ourselves to the factory near Hull we opted to both deliver it and collect it again with Swift paying for our overnight accommodation and all expenses each time.
/QUOTE]

You can consider yourselves lucky, our experience was totally opposite, our motorhome was collected by Swift on a recall from our home in London and taken to Hull for repair. On completion we were informed it was ready for collection from Hull no option of delivery. On asking we were told it would be at our expense totally, they would offer nothing either for hotel, train or fuel. This was on a Swift recall remember.

They would offer no further guarantee on the repair only the remaining months of existing guarantee. Our dealer when told offered a good part exchange deal without even seeing the van, and said Swift could deliver it back to them, needless to say the replacement was not a Swift.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh and BTW,

What you say is true Paul,the problem lays with Marquis :thumb: who can then get onto Swift who admit they made it wrong ::bigsmile:If it were me I would have them in court Monday :thumb:
I did suggest the OP sued Swift and the Dealer.

He has to sue the dealer as that is who the contract is with.

You would like to think that even the threat of legal action and such negative publicity would be enough for Swift and the dealer to put their heads together and come up with a solution.:thumb:
:thumb: let the dealer sort out problem with Swift :thumb:

This is a first post and no more comments since from the OP

Do I smell a troll?
Give them chance to answer-why pay subs? they could have done it for zero cost on the free posts
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is a first post and no more comments since from the OP

Do I smell a troll?

Long running thread on the darkside.. where he has responded..
can'y give a link. but find it with a Google search : "cotswoldman swift forum"

Oh dear! My message seems to have been taken the wrong way in many cases.

I will try to clarify some points raised.

1. This may be my first post to this forum - so what!. This is the first time I have had something to contribute.

2. I have posted about this matter on the SwiftTalk forum prior to informing this forum of my warnings. No where else - yet!

3. My post was essentially a warning about damp checks and advising that they are not to be relied upon.

4. The problems I have encountered with Swift was meant as background information outlining my reasons for the warning.

5. As stated in my original post - Marquis contacted Swift on my behalf but they refused to act as the warranty had expired. Swift offered to repair the vehicle when I contacted them but that was after the vehicle had been repaired.

6. The prospect of taking legal action isn't viable against Marquis - the damage was below floor level initially so there was no where to stick the damp meter probe.

7. Statements have been made about my honesty and reasons for making the post. I can assure you that I am totally honest - another ex-copper having served 30 years dedicated to public service.

I appreciate the concern offered and the comments made.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But here's the issue.
I have 2 friends, (well more than that of course but you know what I mean) 1 purchased a very expensive Burstner, you know the one. After 6 months due to inept build quality it ended up with them having to threaten action in order to have their big expensive Burstner.
So would I now not buy a Burstner? No chance, I would have one tomorrow, Although Ive never owned one, I wouldn't slate them on his experience.

other friend owned an Autotrail, after over 2 years of taking it back to the dealer, it finally went back to Hull to have the floor completely replaced.
Would I not buy and Autotrail? Yep I would have one of them tomorrow.

Our industry is full of shit products that either don't work or go wrong. I love it when an oven breaks down on a Swift, you get posters stating " bloody Swift" despite it being an oven from Dometic or someone else. Fridge blows up? thats swift;s fault. Fridge blows up on a Hymer? that's dometic's fault.

So we have a choice, we stop buying inept products, and that would mean approx 90% of the motorhome market gets no business, the other 10% goes to Frankia.

However, I like motorohoming, and I have come accustomed to what ever I buy likely to have problems, I carry a tool kit in my van and I bet most of you do. In a way, despite the cost I enjoy the odd trivial repair, today it's rattly blinds that need repairing.
The cost? is worth it in my opinion, for the enjoyment I get from it.

If I wanted a hassle free life I would not be a Motorhomer, END OF.
But we didn't look at "one" Swift Paul, we looked at "four", and "all four" suffered the same problems!

I like Fords Paul, but if I looked at four Mondeos in search for replacement car, and all suffered the same problem, I wouldn't be looking at any more, and there are a damn site more Ford Mondeos in this world, than there are Swift MHs.

Scotjimland said:

Quote:
Oh dear! My message seems to have been taken the wrong way in many cases.

I will try to clarify some points raised.

1. This may be my first post to this forum - so what!. This is the first time I have had something to contribute.

2. I have posted about this matter on the SwiftTalk forum prior to informing this forum of my warnings. No where else - yet!

3. My post was essentially a warning about damp checks and advising that they are not to be relied upon.

4. The problems I have encountered with Swift was meant as background information outlining my reasons for the warning.

5. As stated in my original post - Marquis contacted Swift on my behalf but they refused to act as the warranty had expired. Swift offered to repair the vehicle when I contacted them but that was after the vehicle had been repaired.

6. The prospect of taking legal action isn't viable against Marquis - the damage was below floor level initially so there was no where to stick the damp meter probe.

7. Statements have been made about my honesty and reasons for making the post. I can assure you that I am totally honest - another ex-copper having served 30 years dedicated to public service.

I appreciate the concern offered and the comments made.
And unfortunately Jim, due to suspicions re his dilemma, he goes on to add Wish I had kept quiet now - I'm reverting to 'lurking mode' again.
That is a shame. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
But we didn't look at "one" Swift Paul, we looked at "four", and "all four" suffered the same problems!

I like Fords Paul, but if I looked at four Mondeos in search for replacement car, and all suffered the same problem, I wouldn't be looking at any more, and there are a damn site more Ford Mondeos in this world, than there are Swift MHs.

And unfortunately Jim, due to suspicions re his dilemma, he goes on to add Wish I had kept quiet now - I'm reverting to 'lurking mode' again.
That is a shame. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.
am thinking of going in LURKING MODE AS WELL

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi Jim assuming you copied that from elsewhere - this gives me a couple of points one serious one not so :Smile:
5, Ask Swift to reimburse the money paid for repair :thumb: after all it is not your fault they made a van not fir for purpose- you have 6 yrs to claim :winky:
6, Why not ? indeed that is your first contact rather than Swift-let Marquis sort Swift :winky:

7,ex COPPER never met a honest one :Doh: some think they are honest but they all cover there arse :winky::ROFLMAO:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Haganap makes a fair point - [HI]you are bound to get rogue vehicles.[/HI]

It's the same with cars . I have had new BMW's that have been full of faults and others that were faultless.

The problem that the British manufacturers have though is that the faults are somehow expected. That's awful.

Same with Bailey - free 10 year warranty- now withdrawn.

What message does that send to a punter with money to spend?

It means I wouldn't buy a Bailey for starters.
If we are only talking about the occasional rogue vehicle then why any reluctance to guarantee all vehicles. They have nothing to lose, just the odd return for de-rogueing and everyone is happy. Doesn't equate in my mind.:Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If we are only talking about the occasional rogue vehicle then why any reluctance to guarantee all vehicles. They have nothing to lose, just the odd return for de-rogueing and everyone is happy. Doesn't equate in my mind.:Sad:

Probably a whole year or more off the production line :winky:
terry

krysty

Free Member
Feb 16, 2012
India
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'M NEWBIE
Go to your local County court and ask

Go to your local County court and ask

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
As it's come back up on the thread list when I thought it would die.

I thank Jim for posting teh link from the other side.

Again, I ask, point 5 in Jims post says " When I contacted Swift, tehy offered to repair the Van. However it was already repaired".

So again, if this was me, why are people still sat here having a go at Swift? they offered to repair the van despite it being out of warranty? No doubt they would of carried this out in there workshop meaning that they could meet the cost themselves, well done Swift :thumb:
as I keep saying for me this post should not be "Rotten Swift" it should be Rotten Dealer. :Angry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I feel I should clarify the stance I have taken on this, as it seems / sounds as if it is the faults I am condemning ..

Far from it.. As stated elsewhere the % of vans with faults is, in reality, quite small and no worse ( or better ) than I would expect from any builder..

It is the response owners often get.. Definitely not consistent as some peeps get a great service while others get absolutely ZERO service without a major fight, and when things are put right it seems Swift 'punish' the owner by quoting very extended repair times.

Simple question then, for those firmly in the 'Swift is good' camp.

If it takes 8 weeks to REPAIR a van, how long do they take to actually build one ?

Obviously that is a rhetoric question..
Chances are the actual repairs are carried out quite quickly once started, but they want the van to hand ( probably ) so as the work can be carried out at their convenience in quiet times at the factory..

Soooooo..

Surely a simple answer to 99% of the issues would be to better organise themselves..

With even a simple system they could look at dates and tell a customer 'we will have the required parts on the premises on x date. Please make the van available to us is on Y date so repairs can be undertaken.'

It is unreasonable to expect a customer to be without a vehicle for 8 weeks unless a loan van can be offered.

Yes, Swift will do a repair ( often it seems the word 'eventually' needs to be inserted here ), and yes I also note folk who have had fixes done seem very happy with the repairs in general .... I repeat the question I have asked before..

Swift accept the repair needs doing and was a fault of manufacture
They do make good the van

But will someone who has had to be without a vehicle for an extended period let me ( us ) know if they offer fiscal ( or other ) compensation for:

Tax ( two months tax is a fair few bob )
Insurance ( often considerably more than road tax )
And all the diesel used running about ( and I mean all, not just to cover the trip to the place of repair )
With diesel rapidly heading towards £6.00 a gallon the amount involved can put quite a crimp on someones purse, especially if that someone is on a fixed income as is so often the case with motorhomers

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John from what I have read etc,Swift have varying levels to customer service/satisfaction (wrong words?)::bigsmile: Some get fuel van picked up and dropped off etc while others don't-I think it depends on how much fuss you create :Smile:
8 weeks is a long time (two of us can and have done strip out a van and replace everything in it in 3 weeks) It only took 2 of us 3 weeks to build and fit the entire inside of the van we have now.Most people are relived that they are getting the fix done ::bigsmile: thus there van is still a viable commodity--Ask how many have had the fix and still got it ? or did they loose faith and PX it for another van ?
If I was OP I would be getting Dealer/Swift into court FOR THE COST OF THE REPAIR :thumb:Swift have admitted having the fault so let the courts decide who should stand the cost for the repair IE dealer for not getting it done by Swift or Swift for refusing to do it in the first place?did they ?or did they not? Cannot fault them for offering after the fix had been done and it looks like they are standing by there word to fix as and when presented.Could all be PR jobby if so they should offer to pay the repair costs full stop!
I still do not know why they never recalled all the vans with that floor type,even if only to check them.IT has all left a ba mark on Swift's reputation in my mind but as has happened on a few occasion people who know / do not know of the problem are left with bills of thousands to rectify there vans :Sad:
terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
With diesel rapidly heading towards £6.00 a gallon the amount involved can put quite a crimp on someones purse, especially if that someone is on a fixed income as is so often the case with motorhomers

By my calculations diesel is already well past £6 per gallon.

4.54 litres to a gallon. £1.41 per litre x 4.54 = £6.41 per gallon:Eeek:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have owned three Swift motorhomes.

Swift Royale:- bought new. A couple of Minor problems with cupboard catches were rapidly sorted by dealer, they simply needed adjustment. At 14 months old we were contacted direct by Swift to say that they had had a problem with some roofs leaking at the swan neck. At their request they collected the vehicle from our house, stripped back the roof to check for leaks and rebuilt it. They also carried out a couple of jobs we had not noticed and carried out three upgrades to later model spec, at no charge in compensation. Vehicle absent from us for about three weeks.

Consider this to be good service.

2:- Swift Gazelle. Excellent vehicle. Only fault in three years of ownership was a broken bed slat where I had stood on the bed. Swift replaced the slat foc when 2 years old. I fitted it myself.

Consider this to be good service.

3:-Swift Sundance 2007 model. I have posted elsewhere on the forum that we bought this secondhand on our return to motor homing after an absence of a few years. We had the rotten floor problem and it was a major problem, but repaired by the dealer under warranty. No other problems experienced in 17000 miles of ownership.

Consider this to have been a problem initially, but M/H proved great other than that.

4:-Swift Esprit, bought today after trading in Sundance. Dealer, knowing the problem with that era Sundance gave it a very thorough check with no problem found. New M/H has 10 year water ingress warranty, so we will see how it goes after we pick it up in March. (Waiting for the 15 plate).

We have owned other M/H's, including an Autosleeper Ravenna, It had always been my ambition to own an AS so treated myself on my retirement. In 18 months of ownership we had leaks on the shower, the shower head split open, and a few more minor problems. However we had 5 gas leaks on the gas system requiring us to find dealers to fix them while away from home. Very worrying as a major safety issue.

We traded that one in against the Swift Gazelle!

All manufacturers have their problems, including very expensive continental models.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
can we get some help in here please?
we need a defribulator to help revive a long dead thread! hey its only been dormant 3 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back