Rotten Swift - don't trust damp checks

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by cotswoldman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cotswoldman

cotswoldman Read Only Funster

I purchased a new 2006 model Bessacarr E725 from Marquis. Every year I have complied with the conditions by having a habitation service and damp checks carried out. The damp check results have always been OK and there have never been any smells or other indications of a problem.

In December 2011 I had the annual check carried out and some damp was found around the rear offside window. The floor directly below it produced a very high reading too.

I took the van in to Marquis to have it repaired after having had a quote for £400.

The following day I was requested to visit them and they showed me what they had found. The area of floor that produced the high damp reading was far wetter than could be attributed to the leaking window. They dismantled the vehicle and found that the whole offside of the vehicle in front of the rear wheel and below the floor was absolutely rotten. This was the area behind the bathroom and the boiler/wardrobe.

The wood fell to bits when touched - just like a rotten fence post.

The technician investigated and found that a seal fitted when the vehicle was manufactured had NOT been fitted correctly and water had been leaking past it for many years - probably before I purchased it.

Marquis took photographs and contacted Swift on my behalf - they Swiftly replied that the vehicle was out of warranty ...... they just didn't want to know.

I was stuck with a rotten vehicle partly dismantled and was facing a bill far higher than the original quote. It had to be repaired so I had no other option than to authorise the repair. It eventually cost me just under £3000 to complete the necessary repair work.

Marquis had done an excellent job with the repair, but I was very annoyed ( I can't print what I really felt) that I had to fork out my savings to put right a manufacturing defect caused by Swift's employees.

I wrote a long letter to Swift explaining the problem and asking for some assistance with the expenses I had incurred through no fault of my own. I enclosed copies of the photographs taken by Marquis and a copy of the invoice which I had paid.

I had forgotten to include a copy of the Service Record but forwarded that at the request of Swift.

The outcome of my contact with Swift was a complete refusal to make any financial recompense towards my outlay.

So, my warning to all motor-home owners, especially those of you running anything from the Swift factory is:

1. Don't trust your damp checks. There are areas where the damp meters will NOT reach.
    2. The Swift warranty and good name does not cover anything that they have done wrong ..... if it is not found within the warranty period.
    3. Before your warranty runs out pull your nice vehicles apart to check any areas that are not able to be checked with a damp meter just to make sure that your vehicle is sound. (Sorry! I am just being cynical)

If you have a manufacturing defect like mine - Swift will NOT want to know.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Terry

Terry Funster

Interesting :Eeek: SWIFT PROMISED this would not happen :BigGrin::Eeek: They knew of the manufacturing fault (admitted what was at fault) and said they would mend vans as and when they turned up even out of warranty - This is clearly no longer happening:thumb::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
    I would be very worried if I owned a 2006/7 Swift :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  3. jaygee

jaygee Funster

"They knew of the manufacturing fault (admitted what was at fault) and said they would mend vans as and when they turned up even out of warranty - This is clearly no longer happening"

Are you saying that this is a known fault that has occurred before in other vans?
    If this is the case I'd be writing to every motorhome magazine asking them to investigate!!

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Terry I would be very worried if I owned any Swift any year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Once upon a time SwiftGroup was a member on here and would address these issues.. and try to help.. but no longer .. :RollEyes:

There is a SwiftGroup forum and a SwiftGroup owners club.. get on every motorhome forum you can register on and give them hell... also look for consumer group forums ..

Also contact trading standards, this product is not fit for purpose .. end of

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

You might also be able to sue them. You have 6 years to bring a claim , possibly longer as you have only just discovered the problem.

Go to your local County court and ask for a Part7 claim form. They might even be on line.

Claim on the form for the cost of repairs. State they are in breach of contract and in breach of the Sale of Goods Act.

You will need to prove

1. that they admitted a manufacturing defect

2. Your losses so you will need to produce the receipt.

Technically you would need to sue the dealer. Issue against the dealer and Swft Group.

It's a small claim ( less than £5k) so all you are risking is the court fee and your time. I would think the court fee will be about £100.

Go for it and good luck:thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

An absolute and utter disgrace...

This should be fought all the way down the line...

I hope you have drawn Swift's attention to the post you have (and the posts you will) put on here drawing as many people's attention as possible to this disgraceful service...

As Funsters let's start kicking some butt... :Angry::Angry::Angry:

JJ :Cool:

PS. Was it Marquis who carried out the annual habitation checks?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Have you had your head berried in the sand :BigGrin: There is more on this than gassing :BigGrin:
    terry
    EDIT WILL FIND SWIFTS RESPONSE TOMOZ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. madbluemad

madbluemad

On face value, you must be able to sue them. Sorry for your problems and good luck
    Jim
    :Smile:

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

In a post the other day a funster doubted I had ever even owned a Swift when I dared complain about them, this Pissed me off a little as I have 1, FIRST AND LAST.

What I find strange is some people's praise of this manufacturer when they need a new floor as its rotted away on a newish motorhome while this continues they will continue to make leaky vans

• Like Like x 3
  11. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I'll chuck in a tenner to help sue them, anybody else?

mail me

• Like Like x 4
  12. lunarman

lunarman Funster

SwiftGroup used to monitor the forum and did provide a lot of help to members. It seems however that they no longer do that their last visit was 07-07-2011 and they now have read only status. So don't expect an answer from them on here any time soon.

Lunarman

13. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Perhaps they are to busy booking in repairs:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

This sorry tale sounds so familiar.................

Sorry to hear of your problems, we had a similar situation with an Elddis, it was in warranty, it took nine months for the repair to be authorized and the workmanship of the repair was crap. I finished it properly myself!

Rule one of Motorhoming, never trust anyone in the franchised dealerships or the manufacturers!

Rule two, it you aren't a keen DIYer, find a good local independent workshop, they beat the socks off the 'technicians' in the dealerships!

Rule three, forget about having a warranty, it won't be worth anything!

Hope all goes well for you in the future.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

Even thought i dont own a Swift i will throw a tenner in as well because it could happen to any one of us whatever van you have, i had a problem with a failed turbo on my Transit last year 15000miles but seven months out of warrenty Ford did not want to know even though the company i work for run a fleet of Fords both Transits and 4x4 Rangers which i can influance what we purchase but it made no differance, my Ford dealer were fantastic and they got Ford customer service to go half and they discounted the labour cost so reducing it again to a level that did not hurt as much, so the little man needs to stick together :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

That's so true,
    I have had 3 vans and had to carry out all manner of repairs on them. All minor damp work and all other manner of jobs. Not one of the vans was older than 4 years.
    We should be warning people that due to the appalling level of craftmanship of motorhoming building, if you aint got a screwdriver and knowledge of how to use it, Then Stick to hotels.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Or you can hire someone with a screwdriver that knows how to use it:thumb:

I am completely hopeless at anything technical with absolutely zero interest in improving myself.

Doesn't stop me wanting a Motorhome though:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am very sorry to hear of your predicament which is totally unacceptable in a luxury item like a motor home but I wonder why the people at Excel spent £8.7 MILLION on Swift products in one weekend last week. They obviously didn't do there homework. If I was spending something like £70000 on a motor home I wouldn't want a 10 year guarantee, I would want a lifetime guarantee.:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We once had a Swift Suntor 590RS (from new) ... never again! We had 'unique' extra in our van ... an indoor swimming pool! We didn't know about it though until we went on holiday to Ireland (where it rains a lot!) and found the underneath of the side sofa awash with water. The swimming pool was caused by Swift not sealing round the gas dropout vent which was immediately behind the rear nearside wheel - when driving the water was spraying up from the wheel and into the gap then making its way along and under the sofa. We ruined a video camera (which were very expensive at the time) and it was absolutely sodden. When we got back I had to take it immediately to Swift themselves (fortunately they are just a mile away from us) as they had never (apparently) had this before, they crawled all over the 'van and found that the gas vent had a 1 inch gap all the way round which hadn't been sealed so no wonder the water was getting in. The had it a while to dry it out and repair it, but this was just the latest in a long saga and we sold it after 18 months as we'd had enough.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

To be honest as a Swift Dealer whenever we have had a problem with a van it has always been sorted out properly and no cost either to us or the purchaser.

This includes vans that have been out of the normal warranty period with this wet floor problem and has included vans NOT supplied initially by us.

Peter