Rotten Oil Pan (sump)

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Jean-luc, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Jean-luc

Jean-luc Funster

My MH is on a 2005 Ducatto 2.8 JTD.
    When going through its Roadworthiness Test (= UK DOE) the tester said its sump was so badly rusted and should be replaced asap.
    Back in March when getting the oil changed the mechanic used a machine to suck out the old oil as he was afraid to open the sump plug incase the whole lot came away :eek:
    On inspection it appears it is rusting from beneath the paint, no scrapes or scratched just the paint bubbling. (see pic)

It must have been made from sh1te metal first day.

Has anyone else come across a sump rusting away after only 10 years, it's never been on a salted road, hasn't seen very many wet roads either.

Attached Files:

2. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Common problem on Fiat, lots of replacement sumps on ebay :(

3. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

4. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

5. berni109

berni109 Funster

When i changed the oil the other day (x250 2007) i noticed some nice rusty patches on the sump and i recalled reading something about this in the past.
    Gave it a coat of hammerite but only had 'post office red' so thats its new colour.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Yup I had one go. Luckily a cheap repair using a part found on ebay. Just make sure you get the right gasket :doh:

7. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I was wax oiling underneath my van (Fiat) recently, and the garage where I was using the ramps in comes the local guy who does the MOTs for them, told me to put plenty at the very front (where it bolts to the engine) of the sump as he said he sees lots of them come in with rust all along the front due to the water spray

8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

It's not just the sump it the front cross-members that rust as well; normally on top where you can't see it.

Joe

9. Jean-luc

Jean-luc Funster

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Absolutely pointless wire brushing and repainting unless you completely eradicate ALL the rust using a proprietery rust eater first.
    the rust will simply continue to spread under the new paint.

For piece of mind its cheaper to replace than find, one day, as you drive you have lost your oil.

11. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

One Fiat, one rusty sump, one rusty cross member - all only 7 years old. Put me off ever owning a Fiat again (along with broken radiator, alternator, front discs and pads after only 12000 miles and and and ....... - and don't get me going about the four sheets A4 snagging faults I had with the Swift coach(un)built part.

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We bought a new Fiesta years ago.When it was about 4 years old, one day I noticed oil under the car. After clambering underneath to have a look, I could see oil dripping from the sump wall. It had rusted through completely.
    We were due to travel a couple of hundred miles the next day, so I cleaned the sump the best I could and applied plastic metal to the rust. I replaced the sump a few weeks later, the plastic metal was still doing its job, but new oil leaks were appearing along the sides.
    Never thought I would ever see a sump rust through..Always a surprise with a Ford!