Rosabella does something bad in France...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TDH, Apr 22, 2011.

1. TDH

TDH Funster

Well that was a good start. 10 miles from Dunkirk, The Rosabella munched her gearbox into oblivion. We're now camping in a garage compound on an industrial estate, where we're going to be until at least next Thursday at which point we will be relieved of 1200 Euros and sent on our way. Bon blinkin' vacance!

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Really sorry to hear that, :Eeek: drink plenty of wine and pastis whilst you can still afford it and try to enjoy the rest of your holiday. I'm surprised a gearbox could be found, seems you have been lucky in an unlucky sort of way, well you know what I mean.

3. JJ

JJ Funster

What bad luck... I feel for you... on the plus side though... I had a replacement (second hand) gearbox fitted to the Wagon last August and it now drives like a new van...

Hope yours will be the same.

JJ

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

What rotten luck let's hope that's the end of it.

Good luck for the rest of your trip

5. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Crikey - you don't expect that. Really scary! I really hope the rest of your trip goes well. :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Ivy

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

What bad luck I hope you get fixed up soon:thumb:

7. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

ah! Thought this thread was about something else entirely:RollEyes:

Bad luck though, hope you are on your way soon.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Look on the plus side - that amount would buy two a decent two weeks holiday so just one more trip and you are quids in.

Can't wait for the blog -- "the little known delights of the French industrial estate", you could start a whole new trend.

9. TDH

TDH Funster

Well we're still here, in industrial Northern France, still awaiting our gearbox. The breakdown insurance people are being slippery but we have managed to get a hire car out of them.

There's a great beach here at Dunkirk and the sun has been shining so not much hardship there. Yesterday we had a trip to Paris - lunch in Les Tuilleries and dinner in Montmartre - maybe this breaking down mallarkey isn't so bad!

We should find out today whether they're going to fix it or send us home on a truck - in fact as I'm writing this K is on the phone to them. The garage can't find the chassis number so we have to head back from a retail therapy session at Decathlon to give them the V5.

It's all go on holiday in France!!

Thanks for your good thoughts.

10. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Hope you get sorted sooon and are able to enjoy your trip, spend as much money as you can then tell them after they've fitted the gearbox you aint got any :BigGrin:. Seriously, hope all goes well I cant imagaine how you must be feeling. PS hope they aint charging you for staying!

Dale

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon and you can get on your way, a day in Paris and sunshine have got to help. Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

12. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

You should be given a standing ovation and a round of applause:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:for making the most of a bad situation.

13. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

feel for you....we were dumped at the side of a little garage when the head gasket went......Still waiting for it to be fixed (that was on the 15th....stayed a week, but had to go home) Oh well at least you are making the most of a bad situation...

14. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi TDH,

We do sympathise, having been there and done it, needing a new engine. Fortunately, we were eventually repatriated to the UK, with the MH to follow within 21 days.
    Repairs and parts can be very expensive abroad, and am surprised that your insurers didn't try to repatriate you, and the MH. Did you have a choice?

Good luck with it all. :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

15. TDH

TDH Funster

We really appreciate your words - thanks, and we feel for those of you who have had much worse than us.

We asked for the van and us to be repatriated right at the start of this episode last Friday. We told the breakdown insurance people that the garage would have difficulty sourcing the parts but obviously its cheaper for them if its fixed in France and they don't have to repatriate us.

There's now the question of whether or not the cost of repatriation outweighs the value of the van. I did try to tell them that they would have difficulty putting a value on it (a 1989 Tabbart FFB on a Ducato) - this morning they confirmed that they were struggling. I've told them the insurance value and they're going to get back to us.

Meanwhile I have my mechanic buddy in Perpignan looking for a second hand box down there - if necessary I'll go and get it myself. I can't believe that in the whole of France there isn't a knackered old Ducato somewhere, just waiting to be relieved of its 'boite de vittesse'.

Of course, if we were at home, our local mechanic would whip the box off and take it down the road to the bloke who fixes gearboxes. As it is, the recovery bloke here waggled the gear lever, had a look under the bonnet and pronounced that it was irrepairable and needed replacing, to be followed with the assertion that a used one was 'introuvable'.

Weather is murky today so, providing we can get the car hire extended, we're going to go and find the sun again - we had a good trip to Cassel yesterday.

I think the angels have made this happen because I was nasty to that bloke from Cornwall on the forum the other day, but just for reference, our 'freedom camping' site here is brilliant - mains hook up, as much water as we need and a great view of broken down cars being recovered from the autoroute, yesterday's highlight being a Carrera 'S' with British plate M 1 WAY. I think it is Frank Sinatra's but Kay says she doubts it.

As Brian says, the blog for this trip will be interesting, if a little short on mileage. :thumb:

16. kls

kls Read Only Funster

Thought I'd better add my two penn'orth, so after wrestling T to the ground to get my hands on the laptop, here goes.....

It is really encouraging to read all your comments and support, thanks everso - I can't believe all you nice people out there care enough to bother to wish us well. It gives us both a great feeling. Thanks so much.

As it's chilly and damp here today my enthusiasm is waining (or should I say as it chilly and waining here my enthusiasn is damp!) but Decathlon is proving to be one of the big up sides of our little disaster. One of our favourite outdoor shops here in France, we always make a visit, however on this trip it has become a daily occurance. It has a great internet hotspot and the loos are spotless; we're getting a little over-run with new walking socks now though!

The positive things about this trip are that it has been the longest we have stood still in the van ever. I have actually nearly finished my book, T has successfully fiddled with all kinds of knobs, pipes and switches and has made any number of new discoveries about how things work. We have had a fabulous trip to Paris, and a couple of scorching hot days lazing on the beach. We've discovered that Dunkirque is a charming old town and made the garage repair guys smile at our (apparent) English 'eccentric-ness.' One of the mechanics offered us use of the shower in the garage, 'monsieur, madame aussi' although I don't think he meant together at the same time (maybe he'd seen the photo competition from last year .... NO Jim; don't even think about it!!!:Blush:) T went to check it out and it was full of a cylinder block (whatever that is???) so we gave it a miss, the Rosabella II meeting every requirement - except the gearbox of course.

We've met a mad Belgian called Josheph who was best friends with the Queen and had a brother who should have been the Pope or something (more about him to follow in the blog)

So all in, things could be alot worse, just hope the breakdown people will call soon so that we know if it's worth chasing the sun for a couple more days. Until then we will sit, cozy in the van wondering what to explore next.

Happy days! K

PS we did a trip to Belgium yesterday, we truly are international jet setters now (we crossed the border for all of 3 minutes!):france:

17. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Good to see you have not lost your sense of humour, and seem to be making the best of a bad job.
    Your luck must change soon, I Hope!!!

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Congratulations....you have found the most Expensive Aire in France!:BigGrin:

As said before - it is lucky in an odd way, as they have a better parts supply - would have cost a similar amount over here most likely - and would have waited for months to find a box.

19. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.....

But well done to you both for making the most of a bad situation......

A trip to Paris, a day in Cassels, a day in Belgium, and basking on the beach at Dunkirk just as our predecessors did 71 years ago.... certainly a bit about the Dunkirk spirit being shown by you both.

You could also try a day out at St Omer, about 45 minutes away, have lunch in the main square sitting out on a terrace watching the world go by, very pleasant. If you are having withdrawal symptoms there is a huge Decathlon on the retail park on the south side of the town....

Seriously, hope they decide and sort you out which ever way sooner rather than later...

Bonne chance et bonne fin des vacances......

Callum

20. TDH

TDH Funster

Well we're home, minus The Rosabella.

Our esteemed breakdown insurers (don't want to be libellous so p-mail me for the gory details and warning!) finally decided that I was right last when I told them the day after we'd broken down that they would struggle to find parts and get the job done before our cut-off point of Monday 2nd. I did have to lose my temper with the person on the other end of the 'help' line but they did eventually sort out our journey back to the UK (great service from Enterprise car hire by the way).

So now all that remains are the trifling matters of all the agg I'm going to have to have to get the van home, (their latest gag is that if the van's value is less than the cost of repatriation then they won't do it - I asked them how they intended to put a value on a 1989 Tabbert FFB. They came back and told me they'd done it - £1000! I, naturally, put them right, pointing out that they'd actually valued it as a Ducato panel van, despite the cover being specifically for a motorhome!), and then the fun of either fniding a gearbox myself, or getting Rosie to the bloke who fixes gearboxes (any suggestions would be gratefully received).

In the meantime, we've had a reasonable time although not what we'd planned (I am thinking wryly of my previous thread about whether to go the the Med or stay in Burgundy - 10 minutes out of Dunkirque was definitely not one of the options at that time).

Thanks for all your lovely messages - Kay only cried twice, once when they told us we needed to find 2000 Euros for the repair and then again when she saw the messages on here.

We need a blinkin' holiday now!:thumb: