Root folder of a memory stick

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Welsh girl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We have a freesat recording box and I need to update it as the postcode search facility won't work, I need to download an update and it says download to pc then add it to the root of the memory stick!?
    How do I find AND add it to the memory stick ie USB,?
    I have tried to find the answer on Google but can't, anyone explain in simple terms please?

2. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

The root is just the top level. Your memory stick when in the computer will - from windows explorer - look like another disc and will have a label, eg E: . (could be F or others depeding on what else is in the machine). Within E: there will be folders with names.

Copy the file to your PC, somewhere you know (eg the dowload folder) then do copy and paste to put it on the memory stick plugged into a USB port. Make sure you paste it to E: (if it is E) and not into a folder on E:.

Hope this helps

3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I click on e within computer and a list comes up on the left with a label on the top saying empty folder, is that where you paste it?

4. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Is there anything else in the list on the left? If not, then as you say that is the root and you can paste into the area on the right. If there is a list of folder names on the left then make sure that E: is highlighted (not one of the folder names) and then paste in the area to the right.