Roof vents getting fitted

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Yomper, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Yomper

Yomper Funster

Hi
    I live i milton keynes. Just bought a new xlwb boxer and want a roof vent or 2 fitted. I have tried to get a price for someone to cut the holes but can't get one.
    Does anyone on here do it or know a rough price. Or do I buy a nibbler and take a gamble in me doing it!

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Have you tried a search for companies who fit car rooflights?

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I think if you are asking the question then I suggest you get someone else..

It's not difficult, but you only get one shot at it ..

if you decide to DIY .. you could practice on an old piece of metal first .. e.g. on an old car bonnet from the scrap man

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you give us a call we can supply and fit, have a chat to Glenn or Ian in the workshop first

Peter

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It isn't a hard job. However if you are fitting them to the ribbed part of the roof there are a couple of techniques you can use. I used a drill and a jig saw to do my windows, although I have seen other use a cutting disk in their grinder and a nibbler.

Measure twice, thrice and then once again.

The way I did it was to make a wooden frame that the window fitted into nicely. I then sika'd this to the wall, then drilled holes in the corner then drew lines on the outside using the holes as guides. I then cut with a jigsaw. Perfect fit. Might be a bit harder on a ribbed roof but the principle is the same.

The http://www.diymotorhome.co.uk/community/ has lots of builders who will be happy to give further advice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

PS: cutting the holes isn't the hard bit. on a ribbed roof getting it sealed and flush is.

7. Yomper

Yomper Funster

I know what your saying about if I'm asking then I should get someone else to do it I'm pretty confident I can do any Job (within reason) if I read up on it. I was kinda wanting to get this out of the way as I only got the van last Tuesday and my next few weekends are full I asked a couple of garages 1 a campervan converter and he couldn't give me a price or when he could do it. I want it done within weeks so I can insulate before cold weather hits. Glenn I will call

8. Yomper

Yomper Funster

Glenn your in East Sussex a bit far and gromett thanks I may do it with a jig and framework

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I was going to suggest @Terry and tie it in with a trip to magnums with a shopping list

• Like Like x 1
  10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

its not that difficult to cut either an angle grinder or jigsaw would be best i infilled the roof corugations with hard wood strips cut to the size of each dip ribbom mastic first then the wood then ribbon on top again
    i finished of with a line of sika outside of that under the flange
    its not difficult allow half a day each
    remember to catch as much of the swarf when you cut or it will rust i cut from on top but ductape a catch pit of polythene under neath
    if you use an angle grinder remember the sparks are a fire hazard and will mark even glass,there mnay be some pictures in the two links on my signatures below
    just looked and theres only a picture of the shaped spacers in my blog about three pages back

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster