Roof vent rattle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave and Val, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Dave and Val

Dave and Val Read Only Funster

We have an Eldis Autoquest 100 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2 chassis and are quite happy with it. The only problem so far is the the rear roof vent rattles like mad at speeds over 50mph. I have tried packing it and making edge covers out of foam water pipe insulation which made no difference. I can't make it rattle when stationary, inside or outside. Has any Funster any ideas please? I don't want to travel at 48/49mph. I contacted the Camping and Caravaning Club regarding this rattle but as usual got no reply from them. I am begining to think it's a waste of money being in the C&C Club:censored:2

Regards
    Dave and Val

• Like Like x 1
  2. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

Sounds as if there is something loose inside the vent which rattles when theres an air flow. I wonder if the fly screen has become detached?

3. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Read Only Funster

I notice ours has a little 'spoiler' type thing fitted in front of both the roof vents.

I wonder if yours has the same? Maybe it's missing?

Good luck cos things like this annoy the hell out of me,

Let us know how you get on,

Andy

4. WillH

WillH Funster

We close over our flyscreen and blind about one third of the way over when travelling, cuts down the rattle.

Rgds
    Bill

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Fiamma do a small spoiler that fits in front of the vent on the roof. It comes with screws but the best way I have found is to stick it on with Sikaflex. You can then run with the rear of the vent open to allow air distribution in the van on hot days or when closed it sends the airflow over the top of the vent. This problem normally occurs when the plastic vent becomes weak in the sun and allows it to reverberate. I have cured this problem a few times with the Fiamma spoilers.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Why. ???

would it not be more productive to contact Eldiss or the roof vent manufacturer.

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The Heki vents in our Elddis rattled too!

A symptom of using caravan parts in a motorhome!

Tuggers don't get to hear the rattles when travelling!:Wink:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  9. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

Sounds like you have the Heki 2 which is intended for Caravans. They fitted our old Castaway with these and after much emailing they changed them for the Heki 3, the one with the wind up handle. If you look in the little book that comes with the heki 2 rooflights it says they are not suitable in the first few lines of the book.

10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I think snowbird has the answer, my Autoquest120 was the same, the vent vibrated at over 60mph, there were no loose parts it was the actual plastic louvre reverberating.

11. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

The following is copied from the heki 2 installation manual:

1) Designed and recommended for trailed vehicles in which people do not travel. Technically
    also suited to a vehicle in which people do travel, but as the rooflight is designed with free
    airflow, there may be draughts, air noise and chattering blind mechanisms, which will not be
    accepted as a product fault.
    2) HEKI 2 suitable for max. 100 km/h (with Seitz spoiler up to 130 kmh).

So as said it is really best for caravans.

12. Snowbird

Fit a Fiamma spoiler. About a tenner, job done and dusted. Otherwise turn the CD player up with Dire Straits on.

13. Dave and Val

Dave and Val Read Only Funster

Did that first, but all I got was replace the roof vent.

Dave and Val

14. Snowbird

If you look at the vent you will see that it is made up of 2 parts. An inner with slots in it and an outer more solid piece. When the outer becomes flexible it rattles on the lower inner part at speed. As I said earlier, you only have 2 solutions, first replace the whole vent cover, which is not always a fix as sometimes the aerodynamic shape of your van may be not so good or something on the roof is causing the turbulence, such as a sat dish. The second is a sure fix, and that is fit the wind deflectors. You can of course make your own and try it first from a piece of aluminium or stiff plastic stuck on with sikaflex.

15. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Hi Dave and Val

I have an Elddis Autoquest 180 with the exact same problem. Here is the fix. You need a length of L shaped metal or plastic slightly longer than the vent, say 2 inches each side longer. The bottom of the L shape should be about half an inch wide and the longer part of the L shape about an inch or and inch and a half. I used some thin metal. You are basically trying to make a small aero foil like they use in Formula 1. You use some 3M tape on the bottom and glue the foil about 6 inches from the vent in front of it. I angled the longer bit slightly so that the wind flies straight over t he roof vent when you are going along. It works a treat. Rattle eradicated completely. Total cost about a quid. Let me know if you didn't understand and I will draw you a diagram. Cheers mike.:thumb:

16. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I did not get what you meant by an L sh....................oh hang on

17. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Very helpful.