Roof vent cleaning (Omnivent) (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have been asked by MrsShiftZZ for some suggestions as to how I am going to clean the space between the fly screen and the roof vent, Flies and other bits have got caught between them (when the vent was open)

Mrs ShiftZZ tells me that she can see no obvious way of taking the fly mesh thingy away and before she allows me to get anywhere near it she suggested that a very very nice intelligent funster may know the answer. This is her quest before I have ago with a very large screwdriver and a lump hammer..

Thoughts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
screwdriver and lump hammer :Eeek:... bit drastic Dave.

Sharp Stanley knife around the edge of the mesh should do the job on a permanent basis....never need removing again. :thumb:

But seriously, don't know without seeing it but you may need to unscrew the inner frame and remove it complete with fly mesh

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi there shiftzzzzy , Ralph took the plastic outer cover off ( 4screws) then took the wing nut off he thinks there were some more screws to take the fly screen off. All done from inside the van.
Then I scrubbed it with some soapy washing up liquid water. Its like a net in a frame. Dried it off with a towel then he put it all back together. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver:thumb:
We bought a new one eventually though as the lid was very uv damaged , the new one let a lot more light in.
The new one ( £43 approx , Johns x eBay ) was very easy to fit.
Just tie your beard up when your up on the roof so you don't trap it:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Do you really need to remove the mesh? Try blowing them out by using a hairdryer from the inside.:thumb:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Or a hoover with blower option.You may even be able to decrease the hose right down somehow so as to get a better jet of air.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Maybe I'm missing something, usually quite easy for me, but why can't you close the fly screen, open the roof vent and hoover the bits from on top the roof, works for me. :Smile:

Edit: On a second read it appears your fly screen doesn't slide like mine.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ours was the one over the kitchen area. It looked very grubby as well as having flies and bugs stuck to it. Probably with it being open when doing bacon sarnies etc. we had done the Hoover thing to no avail. Hence the dismantling .:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
When you do it, can you let us know what the successful method was please, and if unscrewing/dismantling anything to be careful of.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph dismantled ours in the above way without " busting it " .
It wasn't hard, even I could have done it:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back