Roof Stickers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Wombles, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Anyone got their registration or other markings on their roof in stickers that fix well?If so where did you buy them from please? Thinking of adding these but don't want them to come off the first time we wash the roof!

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Wombles, I am just being nosey..... why do people have their registration numbers on their roofs please? TY.

3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So that it can be spotted from above in case of theft.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Oh......... I thought that it was in case any helicopter pilots were Funsters so that they could wave...........:blush::doh:

• Like Like x 10
  5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I had my registration on the roof of my previous van. I just got the chap who did the signage round the hospital to do me one, it was just like giant dymo tape. Unfortunately now I've retired I will need to pay for it so am getting a vehicle graphics chap to do it.

It seems worthwhile, a thief would change the number plates, but is unlikely to consider the roof.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

From the C&C web page.

Roof markings

Put the last six characters of your caravan’s CRiS number on your caravan roof using large stick-on letters that can be read by roadside cameras.

Register your caravan with the CRiS scheme

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, make sure that you are registered with The Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS). This is a voluntary registration system that shows who is the owner of the caravan. All caravans since 1992 have been issued with a CRiS number, which is stamped onto the windows and chassis of the unit. The number, made up of 17 characters, can then be used to identify the caravan, and, as long as you have registered it, that you are the owner.

7. Andy

Andy Funster

Must admit to this being one of a number of 'identifying' points the Hymer is going to get in the very near future.

• Like Like x 1
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Does anyone think that the few Police helicopters we actually have around the UK are flying around looking for numbers on the roofs of motor-homes.

Helicopters don't work like Dixon of Dock green. They are generally used for serious incidents, such as at major accidents, fire arms incidents, terrorist threats, chasing "live" suspects on the ground, taking over on high speed car chases, crowd control, providing support to Royalty and dignitaries, etc etc....

Do you think when that they take off the Police monitors on-board are looking for passing motor-homes and typing the numbers that they observe on their roofs into the PNC....

You would do better by typing your number in 2 feet high letters down the sides of the van as that will be seen by more Plods on Patrol in Cars, vans and on bikes.

This is yet another example of folks being sold something they do not really need, just by using the fear factor......
    A total waste of cash...... imho.......:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

How many roadside cameras are positioned so high up that they are looking vertically down on a motorhome roof.... or any vehicle roof for that matter.

APN does not read your roof......, and even if an APN camera was mounted on high, it would still not read 2 foot high letters on your roof, as they are not number plates......:doh:

10. Mike B

Mike B Funster

Your sitting on the fence with this one, why don't you say what you really mean.:winky: (sorry could resist)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Lots of CCTV around nowadays so could be seen on that. Also if stolen thief might change number plates but probably wouldn't look on the roof or want the hassle of trying to remove it. All security measures are only a deterrent but hope that it makes it less attractive to a thief so they discount ours & move on to another one!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If someone really wants your van they will take it. All we can do is make it less attractive to a would be thief and try to increase the chances of getting it back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

At the end of the day they are Insured or should be.

It might help if it was reported as stolen a d heading a certain way AND there just happened to be a sky cop up there at the time. I doubt the police would have the resource to send one up just to look around.

the

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Know that the police have other priorities but still an added deterrent. Anyone brave enough to admit that they have these:) & if they work well please let us know what make/where to buy from?

• Like Like x 1
  15. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

EBay
    & they are on most HGV trailers nowdays

16. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Have looked at loads online but minefield for this kind of thing & could be total waste of money if not tried & tested:frowny: Hoping for a few suggestions for good ones...

17. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Its only a simple vynil sticker just search
    vynil sticker
    Vynil roof sticker
    Vynil post code sticker but don't use your post code

18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I don't really support the deterrent bit, how is the thief going to know that yours has the stickers on

More stickers on the side to tell him about them maybe?

then he might just remove them?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We have them on the roof or our van. They are discreet and don't detract from the appearance but just might help the plod find it if we are unfortunate enough to have it nicked. For what they cost (less than a tenner, if I remember correctly) I thought they were worth a punt. At the end of the day, it's your van and your money, do what you want, nowt to do with anybody else.

• Like Like x 5