Roof refit - do I need ply against the outer roof skin? (1 Viewer)

Stevewe

Free Member
Nov 8, 2016
Ash Vale
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi folks,
I'm getting underway on my major damp repair (check out the blog here) and have got to the point when I need to start obtaining the refit materials.
The question I've got for you all is how do I fit out the roof? The old damp and rotten bits I'm removing seem to be a sandwich construction of wallboard/insulation(polystyrene)/ply with the ply against the outer roof skin. Do I need to keep this sandwich, or can I put the insulation directly against the outer skin?
On the rear and side walls it seems to be just a timber framework bonded to the outer skin, then infilled with insulation and all covered over with wallboard - which is all I was thinking of doing for the roof.
I also can't tell if the ply was bonded to the outer roof skin or not, although looking at the marks/rubbish I'm have to clean off I suspect the answer is yes.
As usual, all advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If it was a panel van with a tin roof you would definately stick the insulation directly to it to prevent condensation. But with a coach built you may need the plywood sandwich for strength.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As above....unless it never snows where you are.
The ply and foam sandwich gives the roof it's strength....foam is VERY easy to crush.

Bonded to outer skin ?
Some are, some aren't. the outer skin will expand and contract with heat....the ply and foam won't....so I guess it depends on the roofs outer material.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back