LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been up on the motorhome roof this morning and noticed that at some point in the last 22 years its been painted with some form of paint. I would imagine by the looks of it, it was done to reflect the suns rays as it looks like reflective paint. After giving it a clean and a good inspection it seems to have started to crack. Am thinking of repainting the whole roof. Can anyone recommend a good weatherproof roof paint for a fibreglass roof.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Our RMB - probably about the same age as yours- had a bit of roof paint trouble too. We bought some non slip paint from a marine chandlers but in the end we decide that there was a bit of lift. There were already a couple of aluminim plates up there and we put a sheet over the bit we thought was dodgy. We're happy its sorted it out for us. Not an expensive job.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Its not lifting as such, more a slight crazing. Am not sure if its original from the factory or if its been painted on by a previous owner. The paint looks to me like the reflective paint that is used on flat roofs. Am maybe being a little over cautious but don't want it to start flaking and then have to scrape it all off. I would prefer to paint it over and hopefully re seal it before it starts to lift. I also have alloy checkerplates on the load bearing areas, but don't really want to add more weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I would suggest its original from the factory because thats exactly what we were at first looking at- thats too much of a coincidence for more or less same age vans!! It was only when we noticed a bubble that we decided on the plate route. We wanted non slip which sent us down the marine paint route. We found then chandlers better advisers than motorhome places in this instance!!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
"Blakes" deck paint. I've used many different deck paints over the years but Blakes seems to be the easiest to apply the longest lasting, the best colour range and of course the dearest.
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back