xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
When storm Barbara arrived it was a bit draughty up here. I was sitting in the kitchen at home having a brew watching the van wobbling about when I noticed the roof lights were lifting and twisting out off shape ! Went out to the van , the wind speed 10 minute average at this time was 67mph, had a look at the lights from inside to see what was going on and what to do about it so got some gaffer tape and started to stick it everywhere but still had loads of movement. Scratching my head thinking what to do next as there was no way of tying then down I suddenly thought ah ! they are being sucked up so I need to suck them down, suction cups I need suction cups so jumped in the car and shot into town, Half an hour later and £12 poorer I had it sorted :D

front_zpsqwuuoilt.jpg

rear_zpsnwhie1y3.jpg

After Barbra passed and Connor arrived, I cant say I noticed when the one ended and the other begun but on xmas day we were all sitting having xmas dinner with the breeze blowing at 68mph again we were commenting how much the van was wobbling in the wind and wouldnt like to be sleeping in it, the front number plate blew off and disappeared down the bottom of the garden :LOL:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Brilliant .. was thinking of one to help me get into my mh ..just inside the door ... step seems to be going higher as I grow older.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
He didn't mention the need for shoe laces as well :)
And the slats from an old bed :D
it will be fun taking the gaffer tape off, lovely job.:)
Set too it the next day so as it didnt get too sticky, came off not too bad and cleaned off any residue with methylated spirit.
Great idea... strange thing to happen though
Its the design, as they are hinged at one end but the handle to put them up and down is hinged in the middle so nothing holding the other side down.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Good job you never drove at 70mph before you noticed.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Brilliant .. was thinking of one to help me get into my mh ..just inside the door ... step seems to be going higher as I grow older.
We used to use them to help Sue around the van. Beware the suction does lessen and if you haul yourself into the van you would be better off with a handle bolted through near the door. I've had to pick a VERY cross wife off the floor because of dodgy handles.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I sell all sorts of suction cups at shows, I will be at Newark show

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We had a similar situation at exactly the same time while visiting our daughter on South Uist, it was terrifying, we thought the rooflight above the bed (we were sleeping in the MH as the family were all there) was going to tear off. I had a similar thought (wish I'd taken pictures) and ended up using the suction holder for my satnav attached to the underside, a length of cord from a free-hanging battery powered bulb and tied 2x 2 litre bottles of water by the neck so the the bottles hung like pendulums 2 feet below the rooflight. It worked during Storm Barbara but still lifted slightly on the odd occasion during Storm Conor but not enough to cause concern.
I bought a set of seals when I got home and sealed the open end too which took up the slack, and yes I know its for ventilation purposes but I've left the other others alone so there's still plenty of natural ventilation.
We really would NOT want to do that again.
I'm now grateful for a childhood watching BluePeter, Magpie etc. Sadly I had no need for sticky back plastic or squeezy bottles.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Its the design, as they are hinged at one end but the handle to put them up and down is hinged in the middle so nothing holding the other side down.

Are you sure they are down fully, if there is any thing on the outside stopping them going down fully they will lift. The hanle lock you see is not the full locking system.
There are clips in the sides that also lock them down and you have make sure they are engaging. Open the window and look at the sides in the gutters for the locks.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Are you sure they are down fully, if there is any thing on the outside stopping them going down fully they will lift. The hanle lock you see is not the full locking system.
There are clips in the sides that also lock them down and you have make sure they are engaging. Open the window and look at the sides in the gutters for the locks.
Hi, yes thanks, I checked when I did it and they fully engage. The movement was only a couple of mm but the seal when compressed is even less.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I will have a look at the weekend (y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As I sell lots of different suction cups this thread has made me think that surely I can design something that will do this job. Im off to the Shed

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Heres my first attempt.
What do you all think?
It consists of an aluminium tube with rubber caps and an bungee loop holding 2 high quality suction cups.
Now the devil is in the detail. A lot of suction cups are conical and if stuck on a window can create a magnifying effect focusing the sun and causing a risk of fire, the ones we use are stepped so do not magnify and are also UV stable.
2017-02-27 12.42.10.jpg

2017-02-27 12.45.41.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back