Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
For the first time since we got the van I went up on the roof today thinking I would clean the big Heki rooflight that looked so dirty from inside. To my horror I discovered that it is covered in a crazed surface that looks like old hardened wax. It is breaking up and very unsightly. I've spent an hour with my thumb nail and got about 10% of it off. No idea whether it is wax or something else but it is dull and comes off in flakes.

Any ideas to get it off? My nails won't manage the whole lot.
Funnily enough the other roof lights were fine. Strange ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings... but it sounds to me as if it is has been attacked by a cleaning / polishing product .. either by yourself or previous owner. Either that or it's UV degradation .. but since the others are ok, that is unlikely

I doubt you will get it clean.. a new window may be the only solution ..

I hope I'm wrong and someone knows better ..

Do you have a photo ?

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've never been up there before so haven't put anything on it. We took it in turns with a plastic scraper this afternoon and got about a quarter clear of whatever it is but then had to stop. Tiring work! It looks like a film of something that has dried on hard. Comes off in tiny white flecks.
Might go for a replacement - will need to check the cost though. Having just replaced the clutch the MH is proving a bit expensive this year. :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it may be that the installer left the protective clear tape on - should be removed after installation - It may be hard to get off but try a GENTLE hair dryer to see if it helps remove it
Try a plastic wedge /scraper -If the van is new take it back :winky:If it is what I say it is a pain to remove
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mags - cross post as I was writing :thumb: sounds like I am right -sorry to say but persevere :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Terry - that's what it looks like. Unfortunately it's 5 years old so it has had a long time to get well and truly stuck. We'll try the hair dryer - great idea.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi it may be that the installer left the protective clear tape on - should be removed after installation - It may be hard to get off but try a GENTLE hair dryer to see if it helps remove it
Try a plastic wedge /scraper -If the van is new take it back :winky:If it is what I say it is a pain to remove
terry

never thought of that Terry.. :thumb:

I knew someone would know better :roflmto:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As Terry already mentioned, this sounds like the installer left the protective film on when fitting (similar to cling film). Either warm it gently with a hair drier or use warm soapy water. Be careful even with plastic scrapers as acrylic scratches easily and will then hold the dirt more

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Try lighter fluid

Try light fluid.. it evaporates fast, but is used to remove sticky labels from magazine and while it looks like it leaves a smudge mark that evaporates within minutes. I use it on model plastic boxes to get old labels off on train items.. I have used it for years.. I even used it to removed some of the dried stuff they left on the wheel arch on my RV.. a film .. took a fair bit of the finger nail, then a soft bit of wood, but it was the lighter fluid that broke it down.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mags, been trying to think of a better way to remove it but not come up with anything so it looks like a bit at a time :Sad:Look at it as a labour of love :Smile: a new roof will set you back more than ÂŁ100 or perhaps ÂŁ450 or more for a complete Heiki :Eeek: It is only 2 pins to squash and remove it but the handle is a pain as well, so stick at it ::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You should see peoples faces

When I used to do toy fairs years back you should see peoples faces when we got the tin out and poured it on the label.. it comes off bit by it and then it removes the sticky .. hard work I know, but once you get it to move you will be able to squirt a bit more and then more as you work your way through the mess, it does evaporate fast so be prepared to to get a few cans.. but a lot lot cheaper than a new roof light ... wait to hear how you get on

Bob

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Another idea, is to try a little of your wifes (or your own) nail varnish remover, give it a go on a small spot first.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I would be VERY cautious using any type of solvent or petroleum based product which could attack the plastic surface even dissolve it.
Usually the protective tape or sheet covers on plastics is coloured mainly tranlucent blue.
I fear the only solution may have to be soapy water and elbow grease.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would be VERY cautious using any type of solvent or petroleum based product which could attack the plastic surface even dissolve it.
Usually the protective tape or sheet covers on plastics is coloured mainly tranlucent blue.
I fear the only solution may have to be soapy water and elbow grease.

I agree with this completely, as many caravanners have found over the years, some solvents like nail varnish remover actually react with the acrylic and melt it. There is a product on the market though that is a fine enough cutting compound to remove light scratches from acrylic windows. Just cant recall the name at the moment. You may need to use this to restore the surface once youve scratched all the film off.

As previously mentioned, even minor scratches on the surface will hold dirt and verdigis and you will of gained nothing from your hard work. Ive seen people use Tcut and Cif to try and remove scratches, but this leaves the surface even more damaged. Use the product designed for the purpose and you should be ok

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Plastics do not like solvents of any description!!
Try an e-mail to Dometic headquarters,as they are the makers of heikis
they should be able to advise re your problem and the best way to resolve it. Worth a try.
Heres a link.http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Customer-Center/Contact/

hope this helps

Regards
Steve

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
do not use any solvent at all it will craze the plastic and you will need a new window/rooflight any way :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is why Light Fuel works

I agree with this completely, as many caravanners have found over the years, some solvents like nail varnish remover actually react with the acrylic and melt it. There is a product on the market though that is a fine enough cutting compound to remove light scratches from acrylic windows. Just cant recall the name at the moment. You may need to use this to restore the surface once youve scratched all the film off.

As previously mentioned, even minor scratches on the surface will hold dirt and verdigis and you will of gained nothing from your hard work. Ive seen people use Tcut and Cif to try and remove scratches, but this leaves the surface even more damaged. Use the product designed for the purpose and you should be ok

That is why light fuel works as it evaporates as soon as it touches the material and only softens the item attached to the plastic.. but it does not damage plastic.. I have been using this trick for 30 years now.. and believe me a model (collectible) with a damaged box is worthless, so it is important that it works and does no damage .. and no way would I put it on my RV if there was a risk. Common sense when doing it.

But no to acetone (nail varnish removed) is a stripper and I would not use it. to drastic.

Bob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
this is the acrylic scratch remover I mentioned
Link Removed

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Reminds me of an incident a few years ago when I was at work. A colleague decided to try cleaning her glasses using acetone (nailvarnish remover). She immersed them into it but when she lifted them out the frames just dripped back into the liquid, having been dissolved by the acetone. We thought it was hysterical :ROFLMAO:
Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back