roof leak

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by psyfried, Jun 10, 2010.

1. psyfried

psyfried Funster

hi
    has any one had this problem a after driving in to heavy rain a leak has just appeared high up one side about where the curtain rail goes across to the rear of the pull-down bed. I have checked under the beading the over the cab roof and found that some of the stainless screws underneath the trim has rotted away. anyone got any ideas how to fix:cry:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

Remove the beading and reseal underneath with mastic.

Peter

3. psyfried

psyfried Funster

Thanks peter is this a big job as it is where the top of the cab meets the roof
    which sort of mastic should i use

4. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Silkafix,most dealers should have it just tell them what it is for and they will give you the right number of silkafix.
    Easy job but you need to clean off all old mastic and clean with white spirit then dry.
    Dave

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi. I have used Polyseal 40 successfully on a couple of vans as well as sticking / sealing a complete roof off / new roof on job.
    http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/
    I bought mine from O'learys not far from the factory
    you will find that a few screws will not come out and or round off as you try to undo them / just carefully grind -drill- or chop heads off with a Sharpe chisel on any that you cannot undo.Slide a scraper (hd paper type ) under the bead to cut through the remainder of the mastic/ sealant holding on the bead.Be careful as it bends easy,clean both van and bead, reseal and reassemble. :thumb: If the leak is on a straight join on your van not covered by a strip/bead you can cut/clean off any sealant you can get to mask up a few mm either side and apply sealant over join then smooth off with a wet finger, remove tape. Let it dry then paint if required.CHECK all your roof while up there,be careful that you do not place ladders etc on the van sides as to damage them.A small scaffold may be required.
    ALL THE ABOVE ADVISE IS GIVEN ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU HAVE THE DIY SKILLS/TOOLS TO DO THE JOB- :Rofl1:
    terry

6. psyfried

psyfried Funster

Thanks Terry will have look at the roof tomorrow how do i refit new screws

7. Terry

Terry Funster

use a screw driver - better still a battery drill
    terry