Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Guys

Whats the best and safest way to clean the roof over cab bit of the van?

Powerhose?

How do I get rid of the black marks?

Ta

ShiftZZ

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Traffic Film Remover, soft brush (car brush) to agitate, rinse off with hose. You can use a power washer, but don't go too close to the roof and keep on a wide fan. Try to stay well away from edges, fixtures (roof lights, mast bases etc) and seals.

Sometimes you can break these if too keen with the pressure, and end up with a leak!

Whilst you are up there, and the weather is nice - check the sealer around skylights, etc for age and cracking. If it needs replacing go for it!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would use a hose but never a power washer have seen the resultant damage done around seals etc.

If you doubt the power of water from a power-washer and the damage it can do I have seen the walls of tyres stripped of a layer of rubber.

Dave :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Grandson.. works for me !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Ladder to roof, protect the GRP when you rest ladder on it with short section of pipe lagging insulation tube on each vertical ladder ladder side . Use Fenwicks cleaner with brush , agitate and leave for 10 minutes before hosing off

Perfik !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I use a 10 foot stepladder to stand on and a long handled brush to reach over onto the roof. That way I'm able to reach most of the roof from one side - which is next to our neighbour's lean to car port so not far to fall :Smile:

Ordinary car shampoo deals with most of the muck. The awkward bit tends to be getting the flies off the front of the Luton in summer but I can manage to reach most parts from the stepladder, placed either side of the van, and use one of those magic sponge cleaners.

Graham

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I brought a Gardena brush & lance from B&Q which will reach the whole roof when stood on a ladder at the side. Also useful for giving the walls a quick scrub down when a full wash & polish is not necessary / or I don't have the time.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi ShiftZZ pressure spray with a good squirt of Stardrops,1 part bleach to 3 parts water--- spray on good rub with either a soft sweeping brush or one of those extending brush type things followed by a good rinse :thumb: cheap as chips
terry

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
We are fortunate that the "new" MH we have now, came with "PaintSeal Direct" applied by that company. I was told it's expensive to apply, but I think it's worth it. Our MH is 23' long & after using the power washer on soft spray to loosen the dust/muck etc. & just using a very cheap detergent in a bucket of cold water (advised by the company) applied by a long handled telescopic type brush, I can do the entire job in well under 2hrs.
The cursed black marks just fade away without any extra attention. Finish the job with the power washer nozzle on a wide spray to rinse off. Job done.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back