Roof Boxes ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At end of next year, we are planning to live part of the year in Lanzarote, and rather than fly over, we plan to drive down to Cadiz and get the ferry over.

This means we can take Elvis and carry more of our gear. And we get a touring holiday to boot :Smile:

Anyway, I have seen some roof bars for Ford Transits and seem OK.

Now need to know about roof boxes. Any ideas ?

And HTF do you get onto the roof ? I assume a small ladder ? One attached to rear door ?

Cheers

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've always thought of you as angelic, couldn't you just float up?:winky:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would be wary of fixed ladders as they are a very convenient way for thieves to get onto your roof and enter through any rooflight you may have left open for cooling when away for the day or when asleep at night.

You can get telescopic ladders but even when collapsed they are not small.

I would look at back boxes instead, fiamma make one and you can get any number which fit onto towballs.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I would be wary of fixed ladders as they are a very convenient way for thieves to get onto your roof and enter through any rooflight you may have left open for cooling when away for the day or when asleep at night.

You can get telescopic ladders but even when collapsed they are not small.

I would look at back boxes instead, fiamma make one and you can get any number which fit onto towballs.
The back boxes are too small. Gonna be taking a lot of gear :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The back boxes are too small. Gonna be taking a lot of gear :roflmto:

then take a trailer instead...

A lot of stuff high up will affect the vans handling and stability by altering the centre of gravity....possibly drastically or even dangerously.

And a roof box will reduce your mpg...maybe by 3 or 4 mpg.

You will get far more in a trailer without the dangers.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Why don't you just have a small trailer? We've had a top box and they are abit of a ball ache, difficult to load/unload, stuff slides about in them, noisy and they do affect your mpg.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
then take a trailer instead...

A lot of stuff high up will affect the vans handling by altering the centre of gravity....possibly drastically or even dangerously.

And a roof box will reduce your mpg...maybe by 3 or 4 mpg.

You will get far more in a trailer without the dangers.
Hmm, I want to get away from trailers. I pulled one with the bike on for 10 years and bought this van to carry it inside.

There won't be a lot of weight, and we can take a bit of a fuel hit once a year.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Why don't you just have a small trailer? We've had a top box and they are abit of a ball ache, difficult to load/unload, stuff slides about in them, noisy and they do affect your mpg.
As previous reply, will only be once a year and only stuff we need when we get there.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Stuff you can leave out there? Somewhere?

Thinking outside the box, what about that company that ships student trunks around the world cheaply? Maybe you could just send your stuff?

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

couple of sky-hooks,rope ladder, when done roll ladder up and take sky hooks down:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And HTF do you get onto the roof ? I assume a small ladder ? One attached to rear door ?

Cheers

Perhaps one of these?
Broken Link Removed

or these?

Broken Link Removed

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Hi we have a back box{500} fiamma fitted on to a thurle easy base
rides very well both for sale:Eeek:

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Roof Box

Why not make yourself one in ply, can be the size you want, keep it low but can be 8'x4' if you need. Fix with u bolts and use piano hinge for access. Coat Of gloss.We did this on a land rover and toured Spain, Portugal and Morrocco for 3 months in the 70's, all worked well.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Why not make yourself one in ply, can be the size you want, keep it low but can be 8'x4' if you need. Fix with u bolts and use piano hinge for access. Coat Of gloss.We did this on a land rover and toured Spain, Portugal and Morrocco for 3 months in the 70's, all worked well.

Aye, that looks a winner. We won't use the stuff until we get there :Smile:

A few have mentioned a tail box, but not sure if a good idea. We will already have a 200Kg bike sat right on the rear axle, so more weight 6' behind axle might not be good.
And it will be 2 weeks each way and we will have to get the bike out at each stop, which could be a pain with a tail box.

Thanks for all replies :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back