roof bar bracket cowl thingies (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The plastic cowls around the brackets for the roof bars and rear ladder on my Hymer are looking a little worse for wear after years of weathering and impacts from overhanging tree branches.
After cleaning the roof yesterday I decided to see what I could do with them.
The cowls just snap off in two halfs and (I hope) snap back on again.
They seem to be coated in a thick paint which has scraped off in places. I was just going to give them a couple of coats with off white spray paint but maybe this won`t be up to the job given the battering they get.
Does anyone have any experience of painting these and a suitable paint to use ?
It could even be brush applied as it`s not going to be noticed much on the roof.
TIA

APACHE 1988

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
WISBECH FENLAND
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL APACHE
Exp
3 YEARS
There is a charming man near Boston that runs a very laid back business dismantling caravans and selling spare parts. A photo of what you require and he will check his stock and if you are lucky post the part out to you. It is surprising how many parts are common to different makes and models of caravans / motor homes. If you are interested I will look out his phone number and post it on here.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks but I don`t need replacements, the originals are ok just rather scraped and discoloured.
I just wanted to find a suitable paint to make them look better and then refit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

APACHE 1988

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
WISBECH FENLAND
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL APACHE
Exp
3 YEARS
painted some plastic vent covers that were cream with a white aerosol paint that included some plastic ingredient, got it from Poundland. Fridge vent shown on here is now a dazzling white.
100_1051.JPG
.....cannot remember what it cost though.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks, I think I will just spray paint them off white as you suggest and maybe see if there is a protective laquer I can apply as well. If not at least they look better for a time. They`re not even that noticable really being up on the roof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've used aerosol paint to respray awning light cases, covers, flaps etc and they've always lasted ages - it's the preparation that matters, do that well and then put on plenty of coats of spray paint and they job should last a long time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back