roof bar bracket cowl thingies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Figaro, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

The plastic cowls around the brackets for the roof bars and rear ladder on my Hymer are looking a little worse for wear after years of weathering and impacts from overhanging tree branches.
    After cleaning the roof yesterday I decided to see what I could do with them.
    The cowls just snap off in two halfs and (I hope) snap back on again.
    They seem to be coated in a thick paint which has scraped off in places. I was just going to give them a couple of coats with off white spray paint but maybe this won`t be up to the job given the battering they get.
    Does anyone have any experience of painting these and a suitable paint to use ?
    It could even be brush applied as it`s not going to be noticed much on the roof.
    TIA

2. APACHE 1988

APACHE 1988

There is a charming man near Boston that runs a very laid back business dismantling caravans and selling spare parts. A photo of what you require and he will check his stock and if you are lucky post the part out to you. It is surprising how many parts are common to different makes and models of caravans / motor homes. If you are interested I will look out his phone number and post it on here.

3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Thanks but I don`t need replacements, the originals are ok just rather scraped and discoloured.
    I just wanted to find a suitable paint to make them look better and then refit.

4. APACHE 1988

APACHE 1988

painted some plastic vent covers that were cream with a white aerosol paint that included some plastic ingredient, got it from Poundland. Fridge vent shown on here is now a dazzling white. 100_1051.JPG .....cannot remember what it cost though.

• Like Like x 4
  5. f6c

f6c Funster

Lovely Van(y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Thanks, I think I will just spray paint them off white as you suggest and maybe see if there is a protective laquer I can apply as well. If not at least they look better for a time. They`re not even that noticable really being up on the roof.

7. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

You beat me to it, isn't it just. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've used aerosol paint to respray awning light cases, covers, flaps etc and they've always lasted ages - it's the preparation that matters, do that well and then put on plenty of coats of spray paint and they job should last a long time.

• Like Like x 1