Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
We're planning on using this ferry next June has anyone used it?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've seen that sort of route mentioned, long time ago. You could try an advanced search on ferry with don madge as the poster.

Seems a shame to me, some grand sights to be missed.

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Thanks for that could only find his post Rome to Sardinia.

We will be travelling there overland but need to leave Italy by the end of June when the prices double worked out its cheaper to ferry to Barcelona than drive. Plan on being in southern Spain before July and the heat hits

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that could only find his post Rome to Sardinia.

We will be travelling there overland but need to leave Italy by the end of June when the prices double worked out its cheaper to ferry to Barcelona than drive. Plan on being in southern Spain before July and the heat hits

It was long ago, could even be on another forum.

You must like your heat then, never done Spain that late. Wish I was there right now though.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Me not knowing there was a ferry that did that and being nosey - WOW.

Check out Grimaldilines.it. (Citavecchia to B)

Mini-cruises R us !

Watch out for dates, up to a certain date in June it's LOW season, plus they do special offers (lesss 30%) for M'Hs up to 8 metres.

Looks like a damn good idea to me.

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
Hi Sedge thats the ferry I originally asked about! Still trying to find anyone whose done it

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We-e-ell, were I you, I think I'd risk it. In fact I know I would. This is one HUGE shipping company with a London office that you can speak to and most likely cross examine. If not book with, but then you wouldn't need to becaue the online is so easy. Pre-booked meal deal looks pretty slick too. (A la carte for dinner, please!)

I'd want to know how big THAT ship is, how many cabins, passengers and vehicles does it carry? Oooer, safety record. I expect someone who really wanted to find that out could Google that one?

But that's just my opinion isn't it.

But sometimes, you have to blaze a trail. It's ONLY money.

Deleted User
May not be particularly useful to you but we used the ferry from Genoa to Barcelona three years ago, this was operated by a different shipping line, Grand Navi Veloci.
The boat was a little 'tired' but OK, and continued on to Tangier after Barcelona so was used by a lot of Moroccans which was not a problem.I would, like Sedge, advise you to do a little research if you are worried about anything but then go for it. Grimaldi Lines is a major operator and I am sure the boats will be fine.
For us with the 5'er the cost of using the autoroutes through France at Class 4 made the costs comparable and in terms of time and convenience the ferry won hands down.In your case I would think the same logic would apply. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It appeals as much to me because it's different, as for any other reason. A day and night on a ship in the middle of a motorhome holiday.

Don't get me wrong, I love our van.

Just makes a change from 'home' though.

OP
OP
redchad

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
I'm not particularly worried about the safety aspect I was looking for tips like value for money or what are the reclining seats like (able or unable to sleep in them) & on arrival in Barcelona can you spend the night in the port?

There is an aire near the port, as it docks about 18:30 ish i don't wanna be doing a long drive after arrival.

Deleted User
I personally would never do any overnight crossing without a cabin, preferable even on the longer day crossings, it's nice to have your own space. If I could not afford a cabin then I would make other travel arrangements. The aire in Barcelona has been discussed on this and other forums before but I have no personal experience. There is a good site at Villanova which is only a short and easy drive south of Barcelona, in June you will not run out of daylight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back