Rome airport pick-up

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by SMB, Mar 19, 2014.

1. SMB

SMB Funster

Hi

Has anyone any experience of picking up from Rome airport in a motorhome? My friend is flying out in April and I am going to check on the internet etc for suitable parking etc but, knowing the vast wealth of experience of Funsters, thought I would start here first.

When collecting people from previous airports I normally park up nearby and await a call from the person when they have cleared baggage collection, sometimes collecting them from departures drop-off points. Does anyone have any parking places saved in their satnavs and know where is the best collection point at Rome? I will be checking the airport website for information on short-term parking anyway as I am fluent in several languages :Rofl1:

Thanks in advance

2. sadlonelygit

sadlonelygit Read Only Funster

i take it you're talking about fiumicino.
    there is a huuuge retail park a mile or so away, park there and wait for the phone call as the arrivals road area is a nightmare (i was on a motorbike)

3. SMB

SMB Funster

Thanks for that, I will find it on the net. Appreciated.

4. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

There are 2 main airports serving Rome - Fiumicino and Ciampino

(Easyjet [for example] fly into Fiumicino and Ryanair into Ciampino)

5. SMB

SMB Funster

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. Better make sure I get the right one, especially when I pick my mother up later in the year (my mate will just find the nearest watering hole and stay there until I find him or he runs out of money)

• Like Like x 2
  6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

We flew into the Ciampino airport about 5yrs ago to get a cruise.
    The airport is about 10mins away from the terminus to the underground and as such is served by a bus that does the route for 'nothing' ie pennies.

It's a small airport that seems to be very sleepy and you can walk right out of the airport terminal building to a small bus station. I seem to remember the ubiquitous taxi rank as well but, as with most small airports abroad, there isn't the "screw your pocket" attitude that you get in the UK.
    I don't think, once you have established that this is the right airport, that you will have difficulties.
    The other airport is Vasco de Gama and its a big bu**er off type place. Lets hope your rellie ain't going there.

7. SMB

SMB Funster

Hi and thank you for the reply, I have only just found your post on here, its appreciated. :thumb: