LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having watched the Moroccan tour meet going so well which through circumstances beyond my control I unfortunately had to pull out of at the last minute. I got to thinking that this rolling type meet is such a good idea, as it gives funsters a chance to see several different places in the company of like minded friends. Without realising it at the time this was the type of thing I used to do in the early days of my motorhoming. Several friends would travel together and meet up on different beaches or occasionally campsites and stay in each others company for a while, then move on and meet up with others elsewhere. It stops the boredom of being in one place and adds interest. Different people have different interests and it caters for everyone.
What do the rest of you funsters think.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think it sounds brilliant. If I were free to travel then I would be first on the list... hope it comes off.. sounds good.:Smile:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think its a superb, ideal way of getting the very best out of a holiday, as you said Dave, its a natural combination of all whats great about motorhoming life, different people, different places and different countries !!!!!!!,

:thumb: :drink:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This year we hope to do some longer trips (within the UK) using C&CC THSs as far as possible to travel from one place to another. It would be even better if we were able to meet up with people from time to time.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh I think so - also occasionally there will be someone or two who you don't like, and the thought of being corralled with just them could be offputting but if you could either avoid them altogether or there be enough other people there to make it OK, then that's good.

Plus you can do your own thing as and when you want to without it being awkward or folks getting upset that you don't happen to want to join in all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I think its a superb, ideal way of getting the very best out of a holiday, as you said Dave, its a natural combination of all whats great about motorhoming life, different people, different places and different countries !!!!!!!,

:thumb: :drink:

Does England and Wales count as 'different countries'?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does England and Wales count as 'different countries'?

Of course...why not, I never really thought there would be much interest, but am sure even if it was a trundle around Anglesey with similar minded people it would be most enjoyable.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I would join like a shot, especially going over to Europe!

I'm a new to motorhoming, retired single female intending to travel with my dog - but also filled with a bit of doubt as to whether or not I could manage everything on my own, on my first trip out over the water. Moral support is what is required and the knowledge that there is someone close by who could advise or come to my rescue if things were to go wrong. A fear of the unknown I think! ::bigsmile:

Brilliant idea Snowbird and I would be just as happy pootling around the UK and meeting up and moving on as and when!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We would be interested, especially Graham's idea of using C&CC THS

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Great idea! It needs to be kept very loose though.

There used to be a group who met up at various locations around the UK then moved around the country for a few weeks at a time.

It sadly all fell apart when they ventured abroad and had different ideas about how far to travel in a day/how long to stay at a location etc.

Just a thought :Smile:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
With Regards to rolling meets ,there is always Rogers (wildman) meet in August , just roll out of your van with a carafe of scrumpy..hee.. hee...........Del:ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Great idea, We did similar a few years ago with 3 friends, 4 motorhomes not in convoy anti-clockwise around france ,21 days. Started by debating where each couple wanted to visit, freshnay sur sarthe, ile de re,dune du pyla. cognac, gorge de tarn,millau bridge,ardeche river and annecy. Used only 3 campsites other than that all aires to keep cost down,We met up most nights but all day went our seperate ways, kept in touch by texts as one of number broke down 3 times (old van) .All had great time especially each evening. Would more than likely be up for it again.
Terry:sin:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Great idea, We did similar a few years ago with 3 friends, 4 motorhomes not in convoy anti-clockwise around france ,21 days. Started by debating where each couple wanted to visit, freshnay sur sarthe, ile de re,dune du pyla. cognac, gorge de tarn,millau bridge,ardeche river and annecy. Used only 3 campsites other than that all aires to keep cost down,We met up most nights but all day went our seperate ways, kept in touch by texts as one of number broke down 3 times (old van) .All had great time especially each evening. Would more than likely be up for it again.

This is exactly what I envisage. We set off to tour Brittany in the summer but the weather was not so good so changed plans and followed the Dordogne using back roads Aires and a couple of Municipal campsites. It was great and we really enjoyed it, meeting some lovely people that we are still in contact with. I just think it is that much nicer to meet up with friends for a meal out or a night time get together for a couple of beers whilst away but with the freedom to come and go as and when you all please. I love my game of petanque in the afternoon whilst in France and herself likes to read so we are normally busy most days, but like to eat out at night and if there are others nearby it is a far more pleasant experience.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Great idea! It needs to be kept very loose though.

There used to be a group who met up at various locations around the UK then moved around the country for a few weeks at a time.

It sadly all fell apart when they ventured abroad and had different ideas about how far to travel in a day/how long to stay at a location etc.

Just a thought :Smile:

The group that springs to mind were loosely called Gypsys, but on a serious note it is a nice concept but you do need a clear set of criteria about what the group intends to achieve in terms of daily mileage in particular. I have to say that we do 100-150 miles a day on route to Spain and when you use the aires/stellplatz stopovers as a singleton you do sometimes have to squeeze in at the smaller ones. You may even need to consider "10-4 good buddy, looks like we got us a Convoy"

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was never any "criteria" for the Moroccan trip other than catching the boat on the same day. That seems to be working fine.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Errr! That sort of rings a bell - the breaking down bit and the old van! :ROFLMAO:

Never worry about breaking down in an old van....At least an old van can be fixed at the side of the road, unlike a new one.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
There was never any "criteria" for the Moroccan trip other than catching the boat on the same day. That seems to be working fine.

Sounds great how did everyone arrive at the same overnight stops? Were you just lucky that you all wanted to cover the same distances each day or did you all move as a group?

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds great how did everyone arrive at the same overnight stops? Were you just lucky that you all wanted to cover the same distances each day or did you all move as a group?

No overnight stops were booked. No ferries were booked, only that they arrive at Algeciras on the same day. Just a rough outline of what direction they were travelling in. No two people have the same bladder capacity. Although I was in at the concept of this trip I am not on it in body, only in mind :Smile:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979

Hi, we kept in touch by texts & phone calls , we didn't always meet up as some went there own way for the odd day , ie only 2 of us wanted to visit the Millau bridge , also only 2 of us went down the dune de pyla,( not the same 2 each time). someone would just say that they were going too such and such aire or campsite then if any of the party wanted to do similar they would just turn up or not because as you explore sometimes you come across somewhere else interesting and decide to stop then just text to say might see you tomorrow. nothing was set in stone apart from ferry home. (check out my photo album France 2008 )

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Hi, we kept in touch by texts & phone calls , we didn't always meet up as some went there own way for the odd day , ie only 2 of us wanted to visit the Millau bridge , also only 2 of us went down the dune de pyla,( not the same 2 each time). someone would just say that they were going too such and such aire or campsite then if any of the party wanted to do similar they would just turn up or not because as you explore sometimes you come across somewhere else interesting and decide to stop then just text to say might see you tomorrow. nothing was set in stone apart from ferry home. (check out my photo album France 2008 )

Sounds like the best solution to it, Checked out your album, nice pictures. We will try out some of those places ourselves. Did you do the Tarn Gorges whilst you were at Milau? it is OK out of season when the coaches are not hogging the road and much easier going east from Milau, the rocks all hang out on the way back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back