Rolling Meets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snowbird, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Having watched the Moroccan tour meet going so well which through circumstances beyond my control I unfortunately had to pull out of at the last minute. I got to thinking that this rolling type meet is such a good idea, as it gives funsters a chance to see several different places in the company of like minded friends. Without realising it at the time this was the type of thing I used to do in the early days of my motorhoming. Several friends would travel together and meet up on different beaches or occasionally campsites and stay in each others company for a while, then move on and meet up with others elsewhere. It stops the boredom of being in one place and adds interest. Different people have different interests and it caters for everyone.
    What do the rest of you funsters think.

• Like Like x 21
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I think it sounds brilliant. If I were free to travel then I would be first on the list... hope it comes off.. sounds good.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Brill, if it was in Europe, as I am not in UK with MH often, I would go on list.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

I think its a superb, ideal way of getting the very best out of a holiday, as you said Dave, its a natural combination of all whats great about motorhoming life, different people, different places and different countries !!!!!!!,

:thumb: :drink:

• Like Like x 3
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This year we hope to do some longer trips (within the UK) using C&CC THSs as far as possible to travel from one place to another. It would be even better if we were able to meet up with people from time to time.

• Like Like x 4
  6. sedge

sedge Funster

Oh I think so - also occasionally there will be someone or two who you don't like, and the thought of being corralled with just them could be offputting but if you could either avoid them altogether or there be enough other people there to make it OK, then that's good.

Plus you can do your own thing as and when you want to without it being awkward or folks getting upset that you don't happen to want to join in all the time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

[SIZE="4"

Really like this idea, would be up for this. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Great idea, travel with a small group and meet others, sounds like FUN:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Does England and Wales count as 'different countries'?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Of course...why not, I never really thought there would be much interest, but am sure even if it was a trundle around Anglesey with similar minded people it would be most enjoyable.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I would join like a shot, especially going over to Europe!

I'm a new to motorhoming, retired single female intending to travel with my dog - but also filled with a bit of doubt as to whether or not I could manage everything on my own, on my first trip out over the water. Moral support is what is required and the knowledge that there is someone close by who could advise or come to my rescue if things were to go wrong. A fear of the unknown I think! :BigGrin:

Brilliant idea Snowbird and I would be just as happy pootling around the UK and meeting up and moving on as and when!

• Like Like x 4
  12. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

As an Englishman living over half my life in Scotland ..... I am pretty sure it does !!!!!,

:thumb: :drink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. keith

keith Funster

We would be interested, especially Graham's idea of using C&CC THS

• Like Like x 2
  14. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Great idea! It needs to be kept very loose though.

There used to be a group who met up at various locations around the UK then moved around the country for a few weeks at a time.

It sadly all fell apart when they ventured abroad and had different ideas about how far to travel in a day/how long to stay at a location etc.

Just a thought :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

With Regards to rolling meets ,there is always Rogers (wildman) meet in August , just roll out of your van with a carafe of scrumpy..hee.. hee...........Del:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  16. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Great idea, We did similar a few years ago with 3 friends, 4 motorhomes not in convoy anti-clockwise around france ,21 days. Started by debating where each couple wanted to visit, freshnay sur sarthe, ile de re,dune du pyla. cognac, gorge de tarn,millau bridge,ardeche river and annecy. Used only 3 campsites other than that all aires to keep cost down,We met up most nights but all day went our seperate ways, kept in touch by texts as one of number broke down 3 times (old van) .All had great time especially each evening. Would more than likely be up for it again.
    Terry:sin:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snowbird

This is exactly what I envisage. We set off to tour Brittany in the summer but the weather was not so good so changed plans and followed the Dordogne using back roads Aires and a couple of Municipal campsites. It was great and we really enjoyed it, meeting some lovely people that we are still in contact with. I just think it is that much nicer to meet up with friends for a meal out or a night time get together for a couple of beers whilst away but with the freedom to come and go as and when you all please. I love my game of petanque in the afternoon whilst in France and herself likes to read so we are normally busy most days, but like to eat out at night and if there are others nearby it is a far more pleasant experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

The group that springs to mind were loosely called Gypsys, but on a serious note it is a nice concept but you do need a clear set of criteria about what the group intends to achieve in terms of daily mileage in particular. I have to say that we do 100-150 miles a day on route to Spain and when you use the aires/stellplatz stopovers as a singleton you do sometimes have to squeeze in at the smaller ones. You may even need to consider "10-4 good buddy, looks like we got us a Convoy"

• Like Like x 2
  19. Snowbird

There was never any "criteria" for the Moroccan trip other than catching the boat on the same day. That seems to be working fine.

20. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

Errr! That sort of rings a bell - the breaking down bit and the old van! :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1