Rollerteam TV Aerial ...... Doesn't Seem to Be One! (1 Viewer)

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Ok, I'm sat at Grantown on Spey trying out all the bits and bobs fitted to my new Rollerteam T-Line 740 and can't get a TV signal at all (I tried briefly in Lossie and just thought I was being thick when I got zero stations). I've looked for the TV aerial in case we needed to do the usual rotational shuffle, or switch on the booster and ......... I can't find an aerial at all :eek:. I've looked at all the Rollerteam promotional pictures of their 2016 range and none of them seem to have an aerial visible. Does anyone know what the x2 aerial sockets inside the van are connected to?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks James, I think that a standard aerial, put up when we need it is the best idea, especially as we may well be spending about 6 months down south EU in the winter.

Does this mean Spain or somewhere similar?

If so, and if you want any chance at all of picking up UK channels, then an aerial isn't going to be any use to you at all. You're going to need a satellite dish of some description. The further south you go the bigger it needs to be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Does this mean Spain or somewhere similar?

If so, and if you want any chance at all of picking up UK channels, then an aerial isn't going to be any use to you at all. You're going to need a satellite dish of some description. The further south you go the bigger it needs to be.
NickNic, yes Spain etc but the aerial is for UK only, we don't want to pay a fortune for internet TV whilst it's readily available in the UK.

Upvote 0

HarryBasilNigel

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Agreed it's odd but sadly normal in my experience. Last new van I had until March - a Bailey 745 SE - I knew there was no aerial, only pre-wiring. I didn't want tv for the first year but then gave in and had a status aerial installed. Now that van very usefully, in theory, has an external aerial point for hooking up at sites. Imagine my surprise when after installing the status aerial, I discovered that the external aerial point didn't work. i thought just obviously disconnected in error when installing the aerial but no - I questioned it with the dealer and they said I shouldn't be surprised as Bailey don't connect the external point to the internal one at the factory, and the dealer wanted 5 hours labour to wire it up. Don't know if it's true and I declined as not that important. And so in March I bought another new van of German origin. It already had a tv bracket in the lounge and I ordered a second one and aerial/power sockets for the bedroom, as well as a tv. 2 days before collection, they rang me and asked what I was planning to do for an aerial!!! I pointed out to them that I was planning to rely on the fact both the main brochure and the options brochure clearly stated a dvb tv antenna was standard equipment. They then rang back to say I was right, but whilst it works well in Germany it's hopeless in the uk and I'd need a Status aerial fitted at a cost of £380. Obviously I kicked up a fuss but with 2 days to go, and a potentially very disappointed other half, I said to go ahead but note that I would do so only under duress and would formally complain to the manufacturer that their marketing materials are misleading. Thinking about my Bailey experience, I also told them that I hope they realised I wanted the aerial to feed both aerial points .... Yes really I did. They said they were glad I mentioned that because the fitting cost allowed for connection to one point only so that's what they would have done had I not mentioned it .... But they did SO kindly agree to waive the second connection fee! So it's all terribly odd but I've learned when it comes to aerials and new vans you have to state the blooming obvious!!!! Thankfully when I picked the new van up in March the aerial cost was omitted from the bill so I think they got the message. And we love the van, hope you do yours too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
NickNic, yes Spain etc but the aerial is for UK only, we don't want to pay a fortune for internet TV whilst it's readily available in the UK.

Internet TV? What's that got to do with anything. You don't need a satellite dish or an aerial or even a TV for that.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I use one of these, not mounted, cable loose

View attachment 104911
It works well by just sitting on the roof (stuck to a heavy base) or even inside the van!
I got one of those too when I discovered the fitted aerial on the roof was worse than useless.
Got it from a Caravan Accessory shop, so you might be able to get one if you're near a store, without having to wait for eBay.
I get great reception - even indoors - but do have to reposition depending on what transmitter I'm receiving.
Useful free App for your phone - recommended on here - UK Aerial Alignment.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Exactly .... it's the alternative

It's certainly an alternative but not a reliable one.

You will either need fast WiFi or a reliable 3G/4G signal together with a huge data allowance. You can't really count on having either in this country never mind in Europe.

Upvote 0

marc batson

Free Member
Jan 7, 2018
County Durham
Funster No
Ok, I'm sat at Grantown on Spey trying out all the bits and bobs fitted to my new Rollerteam T-Line 740 and can't get a TV signal at all (I tried briefly in Lossie and just thought I was being thick when I got zero stations). I've looked for the TV aerial in case we needed to do the usual rotational shuffle, or switch on the booster and ......... I can't find an aerial at all :eek:. I've looked at all the Rollerteam promotional pictures of their 2016 range and none of them seem to have an aerial visible. Does anyone know what the x2 aerial sockets inside the van are connected to?

Upvote 0

marc batson

Free Member
Jan 7, 2018
County Durham
Funster No
Hello Andy have read your thread about , cannot find terminal point for the non existent ariel , I have just purchused a team line 740 and having the same problem could you let me know where ariel connections are in van as have looked everywhere and dont want to start taking things to bits looking for them.

Thanks Marc

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hello Andy have read your thread about , cannot find terminal point for the non existent ariel , I have just purchused a team line 740 and having the same problem could you let me know where ariel connections are in van as have looked everywhere and dont want to start taking things to bits looking for them.

Thanks Marc
Dont know if it helps at all but got a rollerteam 690 and the tv didnt work.
Then i found the tv aerial point hidden in a cupboard and it needed turning on. (Not the point you put the areial into)
It worked after that !

Upvote 0

marc batson

Free Member
Jan 7, 2018
County Durham
Funster No
Thanks have checked all cupboards called motorhome company they said it will be in the roof some where coiled upNOT MUCH HELP from them.:mad:

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Spoke to the dealer and as suggested earlier on in the thread, there isn't one because people might want satelite, use internet TV or might not even want an aerial. Seems daft to me to have "provision for TV" without fitting an aerial as standard whilst we still have a useable signal in the UK.

And that is the problem! "usable" DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcast Terrestrial) works really well when there is a "really" good signal and is useless otherwise. It varies but the drop off for signal quality is about 95%

We (Van Bitz) don't stock DVB-T aerials anymore for that reason. Some one staying on our campsite wanders over to the Van Bitz shop, looks at a TV aerial, picks one and asks us to fit it. We install one, show the customer how to use it and they are then sat happily watching Eastenders/Corrie/Emmy/Top Gear/the News (delete where appropriate)

Next morning they are off and pop in to thanks and how pleased they are with their new aerial

"Off home" we ask?

"Nope off to Exmoor for a few days" and then look quizzically at us as we wince!

That is because our campsite is about three miles from Taunton town centre, and whilst being rural, we have loads of houses and town houses just the other side off the M5 so the signal is strong, so reception is great.

Exmoor is full of sheep and ponies and very few people live there. The people that do point a satellite dish at space and get there TV that was, no people equals, no signal. No signal means no TV! however much sales people tell you about their "special" boosters.

I can feel for manufacturers as well, given the litigious manner of some, in that if there is a TV aerial fitted, they expect it to work, even if they are camping in the middle of nowhere, so no doubt a few dealers have had to fit more expensive satellite equipment over the years to satisfy some. Add to this, as has already been mentioned many don't ever bother with DVB-T because of its limitations (me included) leads people to think that they are wasting money paying for a DVB-T aerial that they don't want or will never use

One of those things that there is no right or wrong really, and more manufacturers are simply not bothering.

The Avtex set top box seems to work as well as any when there is a good signal, inexpensive and doesn't need fitting

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's very possible the inbuilt tv coax is for connection to a 'site supplied' tv point.
Somewhere externally, or in an external locker, there may be an input socket for a Sat or terrestrial site connection..

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The converters failing is none of the above. It is in providing a generic, or worse no, Owners Manual. It's not rocket science to provide a loose leaf, sectioned, owners manual. That way generic equipment pages would be the same for a range of models and only the sections that change by model or over time need to be altered. They might even include a schematic for wiring and plumbing indicating where on the vehicle it is placed. That'd be just after the Flying Pigs page. ISO 9000?

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The converters failing is none of the above. It is in providing a generic, or worse no, Owners Manual. It's not rocket science to provide a loose leaf, sectioned, owners manual. That way generic equipment pages would be the same for a range of models and only the sections that change by model or over time need to be altered. They might even include a schematic for wiring and plumbing indicating where on the vehicle it is placed. That'd be just after the Flying Pigs page. ISO 9000?
To be fair some do

I have a full wiring diagram, plumbing diagram, every component has a part number, paint codes, lacquer types, material type, pretty much everything I could ever need

Upvote 0

Dunc

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 625
Exp
Fairly New
I have the Avtex tv and figure 8 aerial which I attach to the motorhome on the face pointing to the nearest transmitter.

My Chausson did not have an aerial fitted from new but did have an internal socket with 1m of cable attached. I didn't want holes drilling in the body so I bought 10m of co-ax and run it down the back of the cupboards to the rear of the electric hook-up. I then drilled a large enough hole through the hook-up fitting as there is enough room to clear the socket. The cable was passed through and a mating end for the aerial to connect too fitted.

When not in use it is in behind the outer flap so protected from water etc and when I want to use it, pull it out, connect it and push it back under the flap, but I make sure the cable is downwards to stop water running down it. Simple but easy to connect.

As for the signal, it is excellent often better than the site connections and its been used in some poor signal areas such as the Yorkshire Dales

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back