Rollerteam TV Aerial ...... Doesn't Seem to Be One! (1 Viewer)

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Ok, I'm sat at Grantown on Spey trying out all the bits and bobs fitted to my new Rollerteam T-Line 740 and can't get a TV signal at all (I tried briefly in Lossie and just thought I was being thick when I got zero stations). I've looked for the TV aerial in case we needed to do the usual rotational shuffle, or switch on the booster and ......... I can't find an aerial at all :eek:. I've looked at all the Rollerteam promotional pictures of their 2016 range and none of them seem to have an aerial visible. Does anyone know what the x2 aerial sockets inside the van are connected to?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi, probably pre wired for an aerial to be fitted. Mine had a satellite TV connection....... I can't even begin to express my disappointment when I found that they hadn't actually included a dome. Similarly, you might find pre wiring for reversing camera and also solar panels

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Quite possibly nothing. When you ordered/bought it did you ask for an aerial from the dealer? If not there probably isn't one.

Have a look at your roof, they're pretty easy to spot. Also they will be on a pole so you can raise them. This will be in a wardrobe or locker somewhere.

Unknown1.jpg
Unknown-2.jpg

If you don't have one then you won't get very far.

What your next step is depends on how you travel: if you only intend to tour in the UK then an aerial like one of the ones above will be fine. If you intend to spend time in Europe they won't work and you would be better off with a satellite dish.

Have a search on here for advice (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Hi, probably pre wired for an aerial to be fitted. Mine had a satellite TV connection....... I can't even begin to express my disappointment when I found that they hadn't actually included a dome. Similarly, you might find pre wiring for reversing camera and also solar panels
Sat and TV points are provided in the lounge and bedroom and the Rollerteam blurb says that "TV Provision" is standard on my model. Surely there can't be TV provision without some form of aerial? Could there be an aerial within the GRP bodywork?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Quite possibly nothing. When you ordered/bought it did you ask for an aerial from the dealer? If not there probably isn't one.

Have a look at your roof, they're pretty easy to spot. Also they will be on a pole so you can raise them. This will be in a wardrobe or locker somewhere.

View attachment 104651 View attachment 104652

If you don't have one then you won't get very far.

What your next step is depends on how you travel: if you only intend to tour in the UK then an aerial like one of the ones above will be fine. If you intend to spend time in Europe they won't work and you would be better off with a satellite dish.

Have a search on here for advice (y)
Thanks NickNic, we used to have a caravan with the flat type aerial on a tube, turned from in the cupboard and that's what I was looking for, there isn't even a provision on the roof to fit an aerial. We had to take the RT from stock as the Pilote that we ordered was going to be at least 6 weeks overdue.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sat and TV points are provided in the lounge and bedroom and the Rollerteam blurb says that "TV Provision" is standard on my model. Surely there can't be TV provision without some form of aerial? Could there be an aerial within the GRP bodywork?
Very odd. What does the dealer say?

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"TV Provision" is standard on my model. Surely there can't be TV provision without some form of aerial?

Problem is so many want satellite these days. So yes, some internal wiring could be all you get.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks NickNic, we used to have a caravan with the flat type aerial on a tube, turned from in the cupboard and that's what I was looking for, there isn't even a provision on the roof to fit an aerial. We had to take the RT from stock as the Pilote that we ordered was going to be at least 6 weeks overdue.

There's obviously a cost implication to consider but I would be inclined to look at getting a satellite dish instead of an aerial.

Freesat is essentially the same as Freeview and you would be both future and Euro proofing yourself.

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a new AutoRoller 100 in 2011 no aerial fitted so I fitted the Status telescopic aerial above an overhead locker near tv bracket.

John.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Problem is so many want satellite these days. So yes, some internal wiring could be all you get.
Certainly that is what I got. The status aerial on the previous motorhomes were about as much use as a chocolate fire guard anyway.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe, maybe not. TV seems to moving to internet now. How long will they maintain expensive satellites ?

Until fast, cheap, reliable, mobile internet service is more or less universally available which isn't going to be in the immediate future.

Sky are reacting to that movement though with their newest Sky Q incarnation. That is internet based for fixed and mobile based TV service but does require proper WiFi to function. MiFi or mobile devices simply can't cope with the bandwidth required. We upgraded to it the a few days ago and I have to say it's bloody good.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok, I'm sat at Grantown on Spey trying out all the bits and bobs fitted to my new Rollerteam T-Line 740 and can't get a TV signal at all (I tried briefly in Lossie and just thought I was being thick when I got zero stations). I've looked for the TV aerial in case we needed to do the usual rotational shuffle, or switch on the booster and ......... I can't find an aerial at all :eek:. I've looked at all the Rollerteam promotional pictures of their 2016 range and none of them seem to have an aerial visible. Does anyone know what the x2 aerial sockets inside the van are connected to?
Our TV aerial is built into the radio aerial on the van roof
Did you have a TV supplied with the van? If so you'd expect it to work in the uk

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
MiFi or mobile devices simply can't cope with the bandwidth required..

3G and 4G are good enough, in places, to watch bike racing with a MiFi, a bit expensive though. It's incredible haw fast things are changing. 5G is on the horizon.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
3G and 4G are good enough, in places, to watch bike racing with a MiFi, a bit expensive though.

That's the killer even if you happen to be in an area with a good enough signal. An hour or so maybe OK but several hours a day, especially when out of the UK, will result in a nice surprise when you get home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Thanks again guys. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to get the gen but if we need to retro fit an aerial then we'll not bother and stick to DVD and Nexflix

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
There maybe a tv aerial point in the same locker as electrical hookup point. The wiring goes to the tv socket on the wall.

You can then plug in an normal freeview aerial or mobile sat system into it from the outside.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Grantown-on-Spey used to be a lovely little site. Hope the weather is good for you - Homesick Aberdonian....

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
3G and 4G are good enough, in places, to watch bike racing with a MiFi, a bit expensive though. It's incredible haw fast things are changing. 5G is on the horizon.
Ok if you aren't in a 3rd world country.
When you've only got the choice of wi-fi as Telefonica are too lazy to supply broadband via phone, then the last thing you want on a restricted bandwidth is the Brits all wanting to watch tv. Fortunately I don't have the problem as There are few here but elsewhere they have falling outs as the people wishing to use it to run businesses are struggling when the tv watchers start.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Spoke to the dealer and as suggested earlier on in the thread, there isn't one because people might want satelite, use internet TV or might not even want an aerial. Seems daft to me to have "provision for TV" without fitting an aerial as standard whilst we still have a useable signal in the UK.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Andy in Lossie
Hi,
Pro-tem, you could just buy a cheapie bog standard aerial, a short ally tube and (if you have one :D) use stout plastic clamps to attach to bike rack.

Satellite can be expensive, unless you buy something portable and are prepared to entertain the whole campsite 'devining' for a signal!

How remiss of the dealer. He should have pointed this out. When I bought my van, they threw in an aerial as part of the deal.

Hope you get it sorted.
James

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andy in Lossie

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
@Andy in Lossie
Hi,
Pro-tem, you could just buy a cheapie bog standard aerial, a short ally tube and (if you have one :D) use stout plastic clamps to attach to bike rack.

Satellite can be expensive, unless you buy something portable and are prepared to entertain the whole campsite 'devining' for a signal!

How remiss of the dealer. He should have pointed this out. When I bought my van, they threw in an aerial as part of the deal.

Hope you get it sorted.
James
Thanks James, I think that a standard aerial, put up when we need it is the best idea, especially as we may well be spending about 6 months down south EU in the winter.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I use one of these, not mounted, cable loose

upload_2016-5-8_11-46-51.jpeg

It works well by just sitting on the roof (stuck to a heavy base) or even inside the van!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back