Robbery at Marboue Aire (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One of the advantages of an A class is that when the bed is down at night it would be very difficult to get in at the front of the vehicle, I have a deadlock on the door anyway for additional protection, plus a Strikeback alarm, additional flashing led's along the lower panels on each side and Milenco alarms on every opening window. Hopefully that is sufficient, if not I have a little can of something nasty as the ultimate deterrent.
I'm told by a reliable source that all you need is a carpet knife around the rubber and the window falls out in complete silence. Dont sound very secure to me.....:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was once on Castl

I was staying on a very large campsite in Spain, in the early hours we were woken by someone screaming on the hill some quarter of a mile away. The town was overrun with north Africans with stuff disappearing from all over.
The screams were coming from a tent full of German blokes who had grabbed the thief as he cut his way into their tent. They restrained him until the police arrived. The second thief attempted to use a knife to free his partner but the Germans were having none of it.
The one where we met someone who was robbed was also a site in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A Lancastian who doesn't drink Boddingtons, how quaint. :)
I used to, before they took the factory to WALES and started making Lancashire beer with WELSH WATER, instead of taking it from the canal, as they always did. :confused:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You know Mr B, I'm starting to admire your good taste more and more.........:):)
We used to stay with relatives in Thornton Cleveleys it was more than my life was worth to order anything but Boddingtons in clubs and pubs.;)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having had someone knock on our van door late at night (before we had our alarm fitted) we always set the alarm at night.
Those little blue flashing lights on every side of the van are an obvious deterrant.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
How on earth can all that activity go on through the night without waking the occupants or even the whole site. They must have been either gassed or drunk as skunks. Have you attempted to remove windows without making any noise.
Thinking the same, also where were these 2 phones and 2 tablets in a cupboard or just lying on a table in full view?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Best 'Dodge' I read about when I first joined Fun was to drill a suitable small hole through the lip of the door cover slightly offset and then through the door lock button. A pop rivet is then inserted through the door cover and button when in the 'Locked' position.
No matter who is reaching through the Q/Light, the lock will not disengage. They would need to have octopus length arms to reach the button.

Forgot to add earlier that, if doing this, go slightly offline so that your hole in the pop up is "off centre". There's a steel rod up the middle and this will avoid clashing with it.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
;)
Something a little stronger than that, and the others suggestions, let's just say you can buy It from some French service stations.
And fishing/hunting shops perhaps ?:rolleyes: handy size hot stuff.....

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Really odd how alarms didn't go off and that there was no-one disturbed.

Waiting for the hubby to come home this evening so we can head down to the Vanbitz campsite tonight, having the Growler/non start package fitted tomorrow. Be great to have some peace of mind. Reading threads like this bring home the fact that it's worth paying out for a decent alarm system, getting ours for what is probably the price of those 2 tablets alone !!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Nothing ever happens in Skeggy........:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ahhhhh....Skeggy. Glad you mentioned it! (y)

Fantastic place, full of peace and contentment. :) The only gassing you EVER get in Skeggy is when the wife has double egg chips and beans!! (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never happens in Skeggy.......(y)(y)(y)(y)
No thief worth his salt would be seen dead in Skeggy,,,Now Mablethorpe thats another thing,,,BUSBY:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we have eddies growler alarm and all of the doors are alarmed plus three dogs ,there are also thule locks as additions on the doors,hope thats enough, there is a danger of becoming paranoid and it affecting your travels ,the risk of being burgled is very low

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Really odd how alarms didn't go off and that there was no-one disturbed.

Waiting for the hubby to come home this evening so we can head down to the Vanbitz campsite tonight, having the Growler/non start package fitted tomorrow. Be great to have some peace of mind. Reading threads like this bring home the fact that it's worth paying out for a decent alarm system, getting ours for what is probably the price of those 2 tablets alone !!
How many people set the alarm at night?

We do NOW

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose the 'biggest' problem is that those of us with alarms need to turn off the internal cab sensors when we're in the van so the only protection we actually have is on the doors themselves, if they are opened. I suppose a curtain across the rear of the cab would mean that the sensors could be left 'live' so long as the curtain couldn't be accidentally moved during the night such as a dog wandering through it and setting the alarm off ... scaring you silly! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How many people set the alarm at night?

We do NOW

Martin
We do as we often park on our own and our insurance requires it to be set.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Was thinking that myself......

If you aint got a dog you have to chew it yourself.....not a pleasant thought.
If you don't want to chew it yourself, you could go and have a mooch round the fields etc where people take their dogs for a walk as there are always some 'murdered' balls left behind! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back