Robbed in France.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, Aug 31, 2010.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Well after 20 years of going to France in cars cravans and campers it had to happen eventually. Nikki and I and the smaller haganaps were robbed.
    What makes this worse is that we were robbed actually in the ferry port by English people.

Here's how the story goes so do bear with it. Also I have so much to say after 2 weeks away there might be a few moaning threads for a while so be prepared :Angry:.

So our robbery. I was sat in the Dordogne when it hit me that I have to go to work on Thursday this week to clear my desk and get ready for my new adventure in life, (holiday's make me so philosopical). It was then I realised that my ferry was booked for Wednesday morning at 10ish. I therefore got on my Iphone (see that Mr Shiftzz & Bazza D I said my iphone :Wink: ) to get the information required to change my ferry. Easy, ferry I required was 0815 on Tuesday and this would cost £68. Having already paid near to that I thought as per normal I would have to pay a £10 administration fee and the normal difference in price making approx £18. I tried to log in and all that and to call but no reply so I thought I would just drive straight there and get it sorted when I got there.

We spent two wonderful days driving north having more great fun and eventually arrived at the port of Calais (busy) at about 8pm last night. I approached the ticket office and showed my ticket stating I wanted to change the ferry. The very strooppy big fat guy with the beard said, no the next available ferry is 04-15 tomorrow. I said thats fine but I wanted to change it to the 0800 ferry. He stated that this was possible but becasue p&o were busy he would do me a favour and only charge me £60. Bemused I then said so what ferrry can I have cheap? He replied that today P&O had decided that because they were now very busy they have hiked everything up and would not change any booking for less than £60. I explained that I had seen the ferry that I wanted only the day before at £68 and therefore would take that one instead, pay the full fair and then use my current booking in February instead when they were less busy and pay a £10 admin fee.

His answer was to tell me that because P&O were now busy the ferry that I had seen (although not full by a long way) was now to cost £286 single therefore making my suggestion an impossibility. I thought for a moment and then just thought, next time I walk in to ASDA if there is a q in the checkouts shop quick because they might just hike up the price as tehy are busy, its a comparison.

Anyhow, I have not travelled with P&O for probably 5 years because of a similar stunt they pulled before so should of known. Sea France have always said yeah change your ferrry and we charge £10 admin fee and whatever the additional would be AT THE TIME YOU BOOKED YOUR TICKET.

So in essence my camper friends, and I except some will not agree and that is your parogitive or course, I feel well and truly robbed and a letter to P&O will be on its way as soon as I have had enough sleep.

The good news is that we are home £60 lighter and had a great chat with some other MHs on the ferry port. another story to share on another thread.:thumb:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

But were you gassed ? :BigGrin:

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

What an 'English' welcome home you had!

If you had retained any of the French Influence during your travels - you would have turned you wagon into a blockade and caused traffic gridlock more than100 miles each end - crossed your arms, stuck your nose in the air for two weeks until they surrendered! We should be more like them.

But us English are far too tolerant for that.

A funster Welcome Home only costs £12 per year, and can be used as many times as you want.

Welcome home Haggers!:thumb:

4. Lynn ( Mrs Ash )

Lynn ( Mrs Ash ) Read Only Funster

Welcome home you lot :Smile::Smile: you had me worried for a while i thought your motorhome had been broken into whilst you were up on Deck, i was relieved when i read you post to the end :Smile: Still shame on you P&O robbing :swear:
    see you all soon :thumb:

p.s we are away i November with all our friends from Swift , just a get together NOT a rally , would love it if you Nikki & the boys could join us , Mand has booked you in so we will ring you at some point with details and to see if you can make it :thumb:

5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Glad you are home safe and that nothing was stolen.

Write in a letter of complaint - you never know you might just get some of it back - if not all of it xxxxx

Good luck for thursday. I am sure it will be an emotional day

Will be thinking of you

Good luck with your course I know you will be successful xxxxxxx

6. Griffs

Griffs Funster

Hi Paul.

We travell across the water twice a year and always find sea france better allround,

and lets face it the sea france ferries are miles better than p&o.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Welcome back to Blighty to the Haggers Gang...

.. I await the moaning posts eagarly...

JJ

8. C.L.S

C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

We sailed back on Monday , I asked them if we could return on the Sunday :BigGrin: No problem said P&O that will be £138 to amend as we are busy and its a bank holiday weekend and we know we can take the p#ss out of you:cry::Angry:
    We stayed till Monday , Paul shame we could,nt meet up this time.........may be next time mate.

Mark

9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Sorry you both have been overcharged just because it was a "Bank Holiday" which seems very very unfair... IMHO as it was a holiday they should have said yes - Sir no charge, your family comes first.... :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:but no they rip you off and charge you twice or treble the amount of the original booking fare....repeating ...very unfair

Kath

10. staging lady

staging lady Funster

So relieved when I read your post. I thought at first you had actually been robbed:Eeek::Eeek::cry:. So I was glad to get to the end of your post but not happy with the treatment you received from the ferry company.

Firms should realise that loyalty must be appreciated in these days of cheap flights and staycations. A healthy profit is good, but ripping people off who are forced to travel at a fixed time is wrong.
    Still good to know you are back home safe and you had a good time.:Smile:

Lucille

11. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Must look up Sea France, as in recent years we have use norfolk line. Thanks for that tip.
    I would love to be in the position to be really able to play some of these mega companies who have you over the barrel at their own game. But as a single Joe Bloggs I have no power.
    None that is other than NEVER travelling with them and recommending others don't. Thats my 2 sons and their families, and a few other friends. So a possible a six vehicle boycott.
    Not much, but its the only way I can think of to support all those affected in this thread.
    Its a start, wonder if we can grow it??:restmycase:

12. franbee

franbee Read Only Funster

It did just cross my mind whether it was actually the staff taking the p**s, and only putting the tenner in the till. No, surely not.

13. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Nikki, Paul and family.

Glad to hear that you are all back safely

We are big fans of Norfolk Line, as they tend to play fair, even when travelling on a Bank Holiday.

See you all soon,

Jock & Rita.

14. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We booked our ferry this year with Norfolk line, cost us £52 return.
    out return date was monday 12th July, but was missing our dog so came back a day early (11th july) we just arrived at Dunkirk, did'nt say a word and the lad just booked us in and we queued up and got a day earlier ferry and No charge, can't fault that!!

15. haganap

exactly what we have done with sea france for the past 20 years, the only time we ever had a problem was with P&O and yet we stioll booked with them for they were a tenner cheaper than sea france. :cry:

16. tommytli

tommytli Funster

they must be on commision because the same happened to us, we still traveled the same day as we origanaly booked. we were booked for 21.30 but because the weather was so rough at calais we booked in earlier and they charged £60! our ferry only cost £50 return in the 1st place, as others have said when we did the same with seafrance its only £10 so i know whos getting my booking for our christmas crossing

17. brodie

brodie Funster

Hi

We too returned on Monday evening at 23.15pm our ferry wasn't booked until 01.55am on Tuesday.

We rocked up at 22.00pm and was put straight onto the next ferry no questions asked (and it was packed BH Mon).

When I book the ferry I always book the cheapest option and then turn up when we are ready for off and usually get a crossing that would have cost alot more. They have never questioned us. :thumb:

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

19. haganap

that's interesting and I could use this post in my letter. we too have always done this for the past 20 years. However I think our mistake this time was to actually go to the ticket office. Normally we just drive up to the check in but on this occasion the traffic was tailing back on to the motorway, hence why we thought we would check first,
    what ferry company was that with?

Jim, I never knew that neither and being over 3.5t I wonder what it would do to the price if you rang and tried to book?

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

give it a try ... :Wink:

you need cheering up.............. :Laughing: