Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Bound to happen. The mobile operators have been dragged kicking and screaming down the path to elimination of roaming charges within the EU, so it will hardly be a surprise when they slap them on again.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
... not the same ones who predicted we wouldn't leave the EU by any chance ????

:pop:
Not sure what you mean. The EU will make it illegal for telecoms companies to charge extra for roaming within EU countries. Are you saying we will still be in the EU, or that their law will still apply in the UK?

Dick

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not sure what you mean. The EU will make it illegal for telecoms companies to charge extra for roaming within EU countries. Are you saying we will still be in the EU, or that their law will still apply in the UK?

Dick

Neither I would think. I believe she was getting at the fact that the "Moan, Groan, Doom". Merchants post a Brexit out vote. have all mostly come from the same sources that predicted first a "Stay" Vote, and then the dire consequences, so far unrealised, of portents of doom.

It happened, get a life, and get on with it!. Is my "advice" to them all!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Exactamundo @PeterH ... must be just us East Yorkshire-folk that understand each other!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We pay roaming charges now.

We will still pay roaming charges after we leave.

Is it a slow news day or something? :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The article might be a little bit out of the ordinary.

A Grauniad story that doesn't blame Donald Trump for whatever it is they're whining about :LOL:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Did Vodaphone re-locate most of the UK Call centre to South Africa Post Brexit Vote?

If you are referring to the piece in the Express "newspaper", Vodafone when asked said, "The phone company has a number of call centres in the UK but also sends some callers through their office in South Africa." Their website says they operate in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

So I don't know but I don't think there was relocation post brexit, don't care really where there call centres are provided I get decent serviice I do know they operate in many countries other than the U.K. German, French, Italian etc. As above and would have call centres and presumably customer calls get routed to whichever call centre they want, when they want. I have to say up to now they have been excellent each time I have contacted them, they have resolved any question quickly and without fuss and my coverage in the UK and Europe has been very good. I thought I was taking a chance when I went with them because they had bad press reviews but I have been very pleasantly surprised and have no complaints. I don't have any incentive to praise them it's just business, but I have had far better from them than I had from O2 or 3 and cheaper too.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I haven't read the Guardian piece but I was under the impression that roaming charges had to end later this year throughout the EU.
If that happens we won't be paying those extra charges for the next two years at least.
Would the mobile companies dare re-introduce roaming charges in 2019 when we leave? Don't think it would be very popular.

Richard.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Would the mobile companies dare re-introduce roaming charges in 2019 when we leave? Don't think it would be very popular.
Unconstrained by the EU ruling, being popular has nothing to do with it. If they choose to do it, they can, and we have no recourse. Other than purchasing local sim cards, which is what I do anyway.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Unconstrained by the EU ruling, being popular has nothing to do with it. If they choose to do it, they can, and we have no recourse. Other than purchasing local sim cards, which is what I do anyway.
Surely, as a company that relies on giving their customers a good deal to retain that custom popularity has everything to do with it.
No sensible company can afford or would want to hack off their customers and lose business.
Mobile phone companies are little different from any other retailer when it comes to keeping the customer happy, as there are competitors who will be only too pleased to pick up any customers that leave.

Richard.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Surely, as a company that relies on giving their customers a good deal to retain that custom popularity has everything to do with it.
No sensible company can afford or would want to hack off their customers and lose business.
Mobile phone companies are little different from any other retailer when it comes to keeping the customer happy, as there are competitors who will be only too pleased to pick up any customers that leave.

Richard.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the mobile big companies are in competition with each other, rather than collaborating to extract the largest amount of money from us that they can.
When they are free from constraint, they will all re-introduce the roaming charge. So you can vote with your feet and go to another provider who also charges extortionate roaming fees! Popularity is a totally moot point!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Three will let us roam now in the USA , Australia and other places. These are not EU countries so why would it make it any different.
Just an excuse for news I guess and to use the word " Brexit"... :sleep:

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the mobile big companies are in competition with each other, rather than collaborating to extract the largest amount of money from us that they can.
When they are free from constraint, they will all re-introduce the roaming charge. So you can vote with your feet and go to another provider who also charges extortionate roaming fees! Popularity is a totally moot point!
You cynic! :D

Richard.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Three will let us roam now in the USA , Australia and other places. These are not EU countries so why would it make it any different.
Just an excuse for news I guess and to use the word " Brexit"... :sleep:
Being that 3 is a Chinese company, and Trump has all but declared a trade war with China, I wouldn't count on the USA deal lasting too long! And back on our shores, I doubt the cosy deal will last too much longer, but who knows?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Motorhomers are probably the most affected community I.e. we are frequently in the EU, within different countries, often in locations without free wifi and tend not to have our phone bill paid by an employer. While many on here are well aware of 3's data charges ( well done Minxy Girl) and cheap roaming offers, not many use 3 as their phone provider. "Free" roaming is not an issue for the vast majority of people who are on holiday for 2 weeks of the year. If "free" roaming was such an incentive why are more companies not offering a package e.g. a community based provider like GiffGaff or Tesco with good service levels (yes Tesco did it for a few months last year). "Free" roaming is just another disincentive for smaller companies to enter the market and provide niche services, and is as free as the NHS. There is little demand for this EU tax and should remain up to the market place to determine.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The mobile phone market is small enough so it doesn't matter. They couldn't care less.

Company A pisses a customer off who leaves them and signs up with Company B.

Meanwhile Company A picks up a new customer who is pissed off with Company C.

It all balances out. It's even likely that Company B is a client network of Company A anyway so they're still making money from that customer.

The UK mobile phone companies as a whole generally have appalling customer service. They know it isn't important to their business so they don't bother paying anything more than lip service to it.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had my first "Mobile" in the late 1980`s, A Vodaphone "Contract" non digital (they all where) "Brick".:) "Roaming" proper came with the later Digital phones!. (which I got my "gaffer" to contribute too, if he wanted to call me "on the job"!!(y)) My first winter in Spain I came home to a £50 bill for roaming!. :cry:That was hard to swallow!!.

I do not think "roaming" charges will return, personally, it`s not in the providers interest now competition is getting more fierce. but I agree about service!!,:( Most providers (I have been with 5 or more over the years, plus US ones!) have their call centres Outsourced, as with just about every bank etc; with staff who`s grasp of the English language is non existent!:(. AND most (phone co`s) make a charge for calling customer services too!.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If you are referring to the piece in the Express "newspaper", Vodafone when asked said, "The phone company has a number of call centres in the UK but also sends some callers through their office in South Africa." Their website says they operate in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

So I don't know but I don't think there was relocation post brexit, don't care really where there call centres are provided I get decent serviice I do know they operate in many countries other than the U.K. German, French, Italian etc. As above and would have call centres and presumably customer calls get routed to whichever call centre they want, when they want. I have to say up to now they have been excellent each time I have contacted them, they have resolved any question quickly and without fuss and my coverage in the UK and Europe has been very good. I thought I was taking a chance when I went with them because they had bad press reviews but I have been very pleasantly surprised and have no complaints. I don't have any incentive to praise them it's just business, but I have had far better from them than I had from O2 or 3 and cheaper too.

Well you have had far better service than I have

Ripped off and done.

Shame, because the signal and speed in Europe was great

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well you have had far better service than I have

Ripped off and done.

Shame, because the signal and speed in Europe was great

I found it brilliant in Europe, always a good signal. Perhaps they realised their reputation was so poor they had to do something about it. I am eight months in and they say I can keep the same cracking deal I got when I joined which was unlimited uk and roaming minutes and texts,14 gb in U.K. And 4 gb roaming. £19.20.

I will wait and see but I have it in writing so should be ok.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Vodafone have a sim only offer £22 a month for 20 gb of data, unlimited calls and texts and this can all be used in their roam free countries, (all Europe) inclusively. Plenty of data for internet use. The offer ends on 9 MAY.

edit, You also get Spotify premium or there are other free entertainent packages.

Vodafone have a sim only offer £22 a month for 20 gb data, unlimited calls and text and this can all be used in the EU inclusively without further charges.

Last edited:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I am an East Yorkshire Man and I would not pay ,It would give me the opportunity to spend time traveling the U.K. like I did years ago ,because this is a fantastic country just a pity about the weather but still half the world and more want to live here .lol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Removing roaming charges will be part of EU law but when we depart the EU the "Great Repeal Act" will enshrine all EU laws which affect us as our own laws. The idea is in slower time we will later decide what to keep and what to throw out. So on the day we leave UK based mobile companies won't be able to scrap roaming charges as it will then be a UK law to abolish them.
That's my take on it. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back