Roaming Charges in Europe.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by cydersyd, Dec 20, 2014.

1. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

I haven't heard and breaking news that the roaming charges ceased on December 15th.

Did it happen? if so can we use our existing phones etc without having to have a foreign sim card?

Anyone know the costs?

Sorry if these questions are ridiculous, you're dealing with a technological idiot here. Any help would be welcome.

2. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

I think you might be 12 months early with that date. As far as I've heard it's all happening at the end of next year.

Can't wait :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

I understood it's next year, might well be wrong but there's no roaming charge on three now.

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

yep..a year early

Three? Oh yes there are! 16 countries included in plan, but far from all the european ones. Spain is not for instance

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

6. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Sorry all, it seems I'm ahead of myself, what's my name again?

• Like Like x 3
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah ok , you are right but it's supposed to be spreading out soon and yes , if you get near the border of a country that is not included make sure you turn off your roaming or it will take a fiver out of your allowance immediately and tell you after:xangry:

8. Judge Mental

Three roaming charges steep, £5 a day where Tmobile £3.

yes they say it is spreading out, but none have been added since I signed up..just advertising BS designed to draw you in

Three, includes Italy which is good as we go every year, but spain would be really useful :(

9. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Using O2 Travel, charge is £1.99 a day for data - no limit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

With Movistar ( part of Telefonica ) holding more than 60% of the market in Spain they are resisting all attempts to infiltrate I am afraid

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Isn't that a monopoly? Is that allowed in the EU?

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Any things allowed in eu as long as it's not in the uk

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

They do not have a monopoly but the largest percentage.. Vodafone are looking to expand in Spain and are already quite a big player..

Like all massive companies where money seems no object, chuck a pile or filthy lucre in the right direction and keeping a tight lid on your market share is not a problem.. Not that I am suggesting any underhanded goings on of course ... :xdoh::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

I hate the building repair cards in monopoly.

:xgrin:

15. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

There are no words to describe them whether for mobile or landline. I have used them all & made up new ones.:censored::censored: :xangry:
    I have never met anyone whilst living here, Spaniard or Foreigner that has a good word to say of them.
    Even just thinking of them & typing this means I'm going to have to go for a lie down!! :censored:

• Like Like x 3
  16. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

£1.99 per day equates to £60.00 per month... £720.00 p.a. quite a lot of money. I never bother with it and use the free wi fi when its available.

spongy

17. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

But at least you know and can budget for it and not be frightened by some huge bill.

18. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

It actually isn't signed off yet.

The date of the 15th December 2015 is subject to approval by The Council of the European Union even though it has been voted through by the European Parliament.

To make matters more complicated, we now have a new European Parliament and so Neelie Kroes who headed the bill has been replaced by Andrus Ansip. It was Kroes ambition to get the bill approved before she was replaced 3rd November. Read more detail here: http://www.eubusiness.com/Members/BEUC/net-neutrality

"'The incompatibility of roaming charges with the very essence of a single market is clear as day. Yet the big telecoms companies are fighting as hard as possible to delay that particular sunset. This issue has been drawn out for years, despite being anathema to the EU. Enough delay. MEPs have called for roaming to end by end of 2015 and we must achieve this."

I was concerned that Andrus Ansip does not mention anything about Roaming specifically in his 2015 mission statement: http://ec.europa.eu/commission/2014-2019/ansip/blog/europe-goes-digital-how-move-forward-2015_en

So the jury is still out and nobody knows for sure what the landscape will look like in 2015. I can only hope the outcome is positive - but still quite a bit of red tape to get through first.

Until then: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-data-roaming-in-europe/

• Like Like x 1
  19. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

* For Europe this only includes: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland. http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Outside of these countries Three charge 19p per MB (mobile broadband / handset out of bundle) or for a handset only you can buy a £5/day Euro Internet Pass. http://tinyurl.com/EuroInternetPass

A bit 'apples and oranges' that one. Outside of a Three 'feel like home' country for handsets only Three charge £5 for a 'Euro Internet Pass' which is unlimited data: http://tinyurl.com/EuroInternetPass

By comparison T-Mobile, Orange and EE charge £3 for 50MB of data valid 24hrs or £5 for 100MB for 24hrs. In fact EE are the only network to increase their charges post 1st July 2014 - it was £3 for 100MB prior to this. http://tinyurl.com/EETORoaming

Obviously if you only want 1MB then you don't want either of the bundles.

Not quite 'no limit' - after 100MB speeds will reduce to 'dial up' speeds. http://tinyurl.com/O2TandC

Be aware that if you have O2 Travel enabled on your account, you are opted out of the 'Spend Cap' of £48 and so you can actually rack up a huge bill without the 'protection' you would have if this package wasn't enabled. This is standard across all providers - taking a data 'package' opts you out of the 'protection'.

HTH

• Like Like x 1
  20. Judge Mental

thanks Addie for the clarification. when in a "feel at home" area, what do i have to do with phone exactly..turn roaming on? or is it automatic (not techy at all!)