Roadpro sat dome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by easygirl, May 16, 2014.

1. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

Just fitted a roadpro sat dome, worked great at home, but on a site with a bit of tree cover, no signal
    New to this sat business, are they sensitive to trees :Angry:

2. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

sorry to hear you have no signal,,,but i will be watching this post as just trying to decide if and what system to have fitted,,,or if to just get a dish on a tripod and save some cash....:Sad:

3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Like any dish it will need a virtually free sight of the satellite at 28.2 degrees east. So, yes. :Smile:

Edit: To enlarge on that I was at Blenheim last month and got nothing on site as I was looking SSE along the tree line. In Blenheim Park next day in the open I got a perfect signal.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

???

Roadpro fitted and find it excellent, only as far south as the med and no problems whatsoever.
    Very seldom bothered by trees. Free standing setup for many years previously and again very good, carried it around as a backup for a while but decided there was no point - took up wine space :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

If there is a tree between the sat dome and the satellite you will not get a signal. :Sad:

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

our first trip out with new dome fitted got nothing, thing just kept searching. Seriously disappointed, we were parked up against a tall hedge but I expected better

Moved next day by only about 30', perfect reception, as said you do need a reasonable line of site

No problems since, more careful where we pitch :thumb:

7. oldfozzie

oldfozzie Funster

Sat Signals need clear line of sight

TV satellites use a very high frequency for the downlink, so high that they don't go through anything, even a loosely leafed branch will stop them.
    I recommend a smart phone app called Dishpointer which uses the inbuilt compass and gps so that you can see the satellite and anything in the line of site.
    Stick with it its a great way of getting tv but you just have to be aware of your surroundings when you stop.

8. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

All satellite dishes in dome or out need a clear unobstructed line of sight to the transmitting satellite, in your case its the Astra cluster at 28.2 deg east.
    I would advise getting a decent compass setting it to 28 deg east and using it to check your pitch when you arrive on site, its not only trees but any obstruction will prevent you getting a good reception, you will also need to get used to the angle of elevation the further north you go the lower the trees that will get in the way, after a while you will find it very easy to decide if a pitch is suitable,
    It also helps to ask the wardens on the site which pitches are OK for satellites, most of the time they are helpful :thumb:

9. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

Thanks for all replies, I will persevere, it locked on a satellite within 20 sec at home. So I'm happy everything is working ok,