Road Trip to Greece

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by simi, Jun 2, 2014.

1. simi

simi Read Only Funster

Well we are now in how 5 weeks into our:Smile trip, pleasantly surprised at the standard of campsites in Greece most by the sea with very good facilities, we are staying at Lichnos near Parga and have a lovely pitch overlooking the sea,although weather not great at the moment, very easy to wild camp anywhere we have parked in some beautiful spots with no problems, it is a long way but well worth it:Smile:

• Like Like x 6
  2. rikfos

rikfos Funster

in kefallonia at the moment- here for 3 months. no return ferry booked as yet. what thoughts on driving the whole way back and would we need visas depending on which country we wenty through.

3. simi

simi Read Only Funster

Lots of Germans and Dutch go back through Albania Serbia no problems not sure about visa we are going from igoumenitsa to Trieste on ferry, have a great time are you on a campsite

4. rikfos

rikfos Funster

yes we are on karavomilos camping in sami

5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Ah yes, I remember almost getting stranded on Antisamos beach when my hired jeep lost its transfer box and became two wheel drive (provided you continuously held the transfer lever in 4H). Had to spray a load of Germans with pebbles to dig the thing out.

Kefallonia is nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3 months there, though... The best parts are in the North, were the older buildings weren't destroyed by the Earthquake. If it gets hot, drive up to the top of Mount Ainos, were it is lovely and cool. Do also seek out the Melissani Lake and also see if you can visit the Hermit's cave under the nunnery (wear non-tourist clothes).

6. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We drove to Greece in the motorhome this year via Croatia, Montengro and Albania. You do not need visas but, unless your UK insurance covers your for Montenegro and Albania (which I doubt) then you will have to buy insurance at the borders. It cost us 49 euros for Albania and 18 euros for Montenegro. In order to avoid Bosnia Herzegovina (Neum corridor) we took the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj operated by Jadrolina - lovely journey and quite cheap.
    It was a brilliant trip and a great adventure. Any other info I can give you PM me. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rikfos

rikfos Funster

We come to Kefallonia every year for 2 to 3 months , but leave when we get homesick for beautiful Herefordshire

• Like Like x 1
  8. simi

simi Read Only Funster

There are so many places to see in Greece we spent a few weeks in Lefkas Poros beach Desimi Vassaliki then on to the peloponnisos we are now Lichnos near Parga lovely campsite on the beach but weather rubbish at the moment :Sad: