road tax confusion

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pappajohn, Sep 27, 2014.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If i sell a vehicle after 1st october i cant transfer the remaining tax with the vehicle.....or can i if it is a paper disc.

Surely the new rule applies to electronic data not existing paper discs....or does it ?

2. pappajohn

Duplicated post

3. calion

calion

There's not been much advice from gov.UK about the changes has there? I don't know how I have to get my next lot of road tax?

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you just take the reminder to the post office or do it on line or telephone . its not difficult .
    yes john you send your tax back . you might have a disc but its all on electronic already.

• Like Like x 1
  5. calion

calion

I thought they weren't sending anything through the post now, do you think they will still send out renewal forms then?

6. pappajohn

Bugger....looks like i lost a month then.

Runs out in a few months but if the rv sells tommorrow or monday i cant send the disc back due to being stuck in Dundee until tuesday.

7. pappajohn

I doubt it....that was the one reason for scrapping the disc....paperwork and postage costs.
    If they send reminders they may as well have continued posting discs.

8. Hymie

Hymie Funster

I renewed the RFL on Harriet on Friday, the last page online was a reference number and a note saying that as I do not require a tax disc one will not be sent to me.

Made sure I printed off the ref number in case of cock ups.

Hymie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wanderer

wanderer Funster

I would remove any expired tax disc,s from your windscreen if going abroad as it will be difficult to explain to police overseas what the new system is

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have read somewhere that after Oct 1 you have the choice of keeping any valid tax disc on show or you can scrap it ... therefore all the details must be on the new system.
    If this is the case then if you sell your rv on or before Tuesday 30th Oct you should automatically get a full refund of outstanding tax without the necessity of returning the disc.
    Another option would be to go on line and SORN the vehicle immediately and again you should receive the full refund.

11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

......................And I was told yesterday that a sticky type 'strip' is going to be issued, which you will put inside the windscreen, which will be readable from bridge cameras, and all the other cameras, and will supply full details regarding car and driver.........More 'Big Brother'......
    They are now worried that legal car numbers are going to be cloned big time. You can get a set of plates off ebay without supplying car ownership info. So someone clocks a similar vehicle to their own, gets a set of plates made up, and bingo, automatic tax, MOT and insurance, but really it's someone else's........:(

12. richr

richr Funster

I would never of guessed that would of happened o_O

So the clever bods have now saved a few quid and cost us twice the saving

Dam cant find a wa**er giff :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i renewed the tax on my m,bike earier this month . got no disc . the post office owners told me reminders will come out . he gave me a receipt with a ref number .
    the tax uns out this month . i had hoped i might of got a nice new disc that i could have framed as a momento. but they have already stopped issuing discs .

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You can SORN and apply for a refund at the same time by using form V14 - it's is downloadable so do it when you get home (if you can't do it before) or check to see if a Post Office has it where you are - just click on the link below to go to the webpage:

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

SORN and tax discs

You can apply by post for a tax disc refund and make a SORN at the same time using form V14.

So long as you POST the disc back ON TUESDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2014 and get a posting receipt from the Post Office (FOC) you then have proof that you sent it back on the last day of the month and therefore will not lose another month.

Alternatively ring them tomorrow and see if you can do anything over the phone.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

must say i,m a believer in using your localpost office . use it for what ever you can . if more keep using online or telephone things we will end up with no local post offices . use the post office you know it makes sense .

16. Minxy Girl

Yes, but unfortunately a lot of the time they don't have the bl**dy forms!

17. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I suspect there will be many with good intentions who accidentally don't renew. I have just renewed mine but went through a senior moment wondering if I had or had not done it. It's easy to put stuff on a "todo" pile and then forget it. With a tax disc staring you in the face every time you go to your vehicle it did not matter if you forgot for a short time because you would see the disc.

Equally, you knew when it was coming due by the same technique. Get ready for some big fines for failure to tax your vehicle.

18. Minxy Girl

There's nothing to stop you putting a sign in your windscreen where your task disc would have been, or even at the drivers side, stating when it's due, that way you still have a visual reminder - it would also be a good place to put your vehicle measurements! (y)

19. Minxy Girl

.... Jim/Sian ... I've just thought of a new 'line' in sales for you .... MH size, insurance, tax etc info disc ....

20. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I'm not suggesting that forgetting to renew the tax disc is inevitable. Merely, that a tiny percentage will fall through the cracks without the tax disc winking at them on a regular basis.