Road Studs Removed ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mr Ed, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Recently we have noticed the above sign in our village (just north of A FINE CITY)and have also noted the same or similar signs all over the country.I take it they refer to the cats eyes,why are they removing these as I thought they were a valuable help at night.I have also noted that some councils leave the holes and others fill them in so seems like a permanent thing.Anyone know???Martin

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

They are usually taken out before resurfacing of the road.

• Like Like x 2
  3. carolyn

carolyn Funster

I did read a few months ago that a lot of councils are not replacing them, would probably be OK if the white lines were repainted regularly as I suppose car headlights are better now. A pity though in my opinion.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I saw a similar sign earlier this year and it was in conjunction with road works. I can't remember where it was but it may well have been during our trip to Norfolk.

5. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

It now is standard practice to remove cats eyes as the cost of maintenance has got too much for the local authority,Sad, but when these things come loose a lorry could easily put one through your windscreen lol. I do think they will be sadly missed on some roads

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Maybe they are referring to the older metal non reflective studs that you used to see across the road at pedestrian crossings.. road junctions etc.. ?

7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Similar signs on A59 and A61 en route from Preston to Calton Miniott today.

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Yes that sounds about right and as said by Carolyn headlights are much more effective today. Martin

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Excellent news for two-wheelers I would have thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Miles of them removed around Scarborough....some roads now resurfaced but still no studs/cats eyes.

Some wise-ass said they were removed so the tour de yorkshire cycle riders didnt slip on them....:LOL:

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

On minor and residential roads, I reckon cats eyes and white lines encourage a sense of greater safety and encourage speeding.
    No road markings give drivers a sense of uncertainty and it makes them more aware and cautious.
    Our village suffers lots of speeding cars and I get annoyed when new white lines are painted. The only 30 signs are the ones at each end of the village and one of those is placed as to be invisible to vehicles turning off the A47 trunk road. There are no reminder signs anywhere.

12. houdini

houdini Funster

We've noticed this too on our recent travels. Be interesting round here on our country lanes the next time there's thick fog!

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Easy! Keep steering left until your wing mirror folds back or you feel the verge under your nearside wheels!:)

14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

They're extremely unsettling for a cornering or braking motorcycle when they're wet - any bigger they'd be lethal.

15. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

30 mph areas only get reminder signs if there are no street lights. Any area with street lights closer together than 200 yards (now 183m) apart is subject to a 30 mph speed limit unless a higher limit is posted - for which there will be reminder signs.

A lot of white line painting is supposed to slow you down, not encourage people to speed up. The effect of white edge markings painted a foot or more in from the side of the road is to make the road appear to be narrower than it really is, thus encouraging a slower speed. Maybe our psychology has got tuned into that now & it doesn't have the same effect any more.

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Having white lines down the centre of our road gives the impression it is an extension of the A road which traffic has just exited!
    Then30 sign is barely noticeable and traffic continues at the 50mph allowed on the main road!

17. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Many places on the continent I have seen them marking the boundaries of the road not the centre. Very effective, and presumably less of a hazard to 2 wheelers. But hardly likely to happen in this age of austerity.

Dick

18. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

Here is a bit of trivia for your quiz nights

• White studs mark the lanes or the middle of the road.
    • Red studs mark the left edge of the road.
    • Amber studs mark the central reservation of a dual carriageway or motorway.
    • Green studs mark the edge of the main carriageway at lay-bys and slip roads.
    • Green/yellow studs indicate temporary adjustments to lane layouts, e.g. where road works are taking place.

19. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

There have been a load of LED side , centre and offside marker lights on the A2 towards Dover and Canterbury, They work very well and show the road up when you headlights are off ( tried it). Usual colours apply with green as turn off points.