road parking (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Having just purchased my first RV im worried about on road parking as the door opens out onto the road and me and my doggie have a habit of just jumping out.
Ive looked on the Highways code website and it states that you must park in the direction of traffic at night unless in a parking bay, though if the speed is more than 30 MPH parking lights must be left on ....doenst this flaten your battery ?
I wondered what experiences other RV'ers have had ????

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Lock the habitation door and use the cab door to exit (drivers if its LHD) or put a notice saying DONT on the hab door as an aide memoire.

Peter

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I ain't got a cab door:cry::cry:

Anyone that knows me will know "GET BACK GET BACK" being shouted and my Great Danes and the signs of a fight going on:Doh::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Does this help from Sussex Police?

Parking at night

During the hours of darkness, vehicles which are goods vehicles no more than 1525kg unladen weight, or passenger vehicles with less than 8 passengers, excluding the driver, may be parked with their near side to the kerb. The Vehicle cannot be parked within 10 metres of a junction.

Exceptions to parking near side to the kerb at night are:
• In a one way street, in which case vehicles can park on either side of the road, if parking is allowed.
• With permission of, or directed by a Police Officer.

If a vehicle is parked on a road with a speed limit greater than 30mph, parking lights must be used.

A vehicle over 7.5 Tonnes may park on the highway provided:
• It does not cause an obstruction or other offence.
• The vehicles lights are lit during the hours of darkness.

It is an offence for a goods vehicle over 7.5 tonnes to park on a verge of a road, a central reservation or footway, unless instructed to do so by a Police Officer as a result of an emergency, or for unloading where there is no other place to unload and the vehicle is not left unattended at any time.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Does this help from Sussex Police?

Parking at night

During the hours of darkness, vehicles which are goods vehicles no more than 1525kg unladen weight, or passenger vehicles with less than 8 passengers, excluding the driver, may be parked with their near side to the kerb. The Vehicle cannot be parked within 10 metres of a junction.

Exceptions to parking near side to the kerb at night are:
• In a one way street, in which case vehicles can park on either side of the road, if parking is allowed.
• With permission of, or directed by a Police Officer.

If a vehicle is parked on a road with a speed limit greater than 30mph, parking lights must be used.

A vehicle over 7.5 Tonnes may park on the highway provided:
• It does not cause an obstruction or other offence.
• The vehicles lights are lit during the hours of darkness.

It is an offence for a goods vehicle over 7.5 tonnes to park on a verge of a road, a central reservation or footway, unless instructed to do so by a Police Officer as a result of an emergency, or for unloading where there is no other place to unload and the vehicle is not left unattended at any time.

ooohhh im scratching me head more now, im off to park on the prom in southport tonight and the plod and traffic wardens are buggers there.
I cant imagine there are many goods vehichles less than a tone and half ??
and which is the near side...the drivers side...as in not left hand drivers....as in right hand side ???
and my winnibago carries 8 passengers, though only has belts for 4 ???? whats the legallities there ?
and do people REALLY leave thier parking lights on all night ???
Ive passed loads of HGVs who dont bother, is it one of those rules that no one enforces ?
I know im probably being over cautious but for ease of mind i'de like to know these things.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ooohhh im scratching me head more now, im off to park on the prom in southport tonight and the plod and traffic wardens are buggers there.
I cant imagine there are many goods vehichles less than a tone and half ??
and which is the near side...the drivers side...as in not left hand drivers....as in right hand side ???
and my winnibago carries 8 passengers, though only has belts for 4 ???? whats the legallities there ?
and do people REALLY leave thier parking lights on all night ???
Ive passed loads of HGVs who dont bother, is it one of those rules that no one enforces ?

loads of 'em, i drive one at work.....citroen berlingo, renault kangoo, peugeot partner.
left hand side of road is near side
only 4 belts so officially 4 seats
some do but i feel not many
think it depends on the local gestapo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
If someone takes a dislike to you being there and reports you then the lighting regs are an excuse to move you on. Best not have a drink in case you are asked to move. I'm inclined to agree with Scotjimjland about your most likely scource of bother though. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back