Road fund licence for newly purchased vehicle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by martin1485, Oct 31, 2014.

1. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

As most will know, the system changed on 1st October 2014. Having just done so myself and in the absence of sufficient information, I was unclear how to tax the vehicle at the time of purchase - particularly as it was a private purchase.

It is quite straightforward however. As long as insurance is in place and a current MOT is in force, you can tax a vehicle 24/7 either by phone or on the internet using the 12 digit reference shown on the V5C/2 tear off section of the registration document. You can also do it at a post office which issues roadtax (not all of them do nowadays - all they do is scan the V5C - no application forms for registration documents etc etc as previously.

The web address is: www.gov.uk/vehicletax

The telephone number is 0300 123 4321 (Cost from a landline between 2p and 10p - from a mobile 10p to 40p)

The vendor will automatically receive a refund of any unused tax.

• Like Like x 3
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I bought, insured and taxed a car in the UK while in Portugal last month - but that's a different story, but it shows how easy things are now. No more queuing in the Post Office although I guess small village post offices lose business as a result and they are pretty shaky financially these day already.

3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Is a check still made for valid insurance? I only ask because the only problem with the new system that I could foresee was how quickly the insurance company updates the MID. I was worried that if one travelled to purchase a vehicle, agreed the purchase on arrival, then made a phone call to insure it, would it be possible to purchase VED immediately?

4. Al1

Al1 Read Only Funster

Would the existing tax not still be on the system, until you change-over? That would give you a little time for the insurance to show up?
    Al

5. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Good info Martin, thank you!(y)

6. Fletton

Fletton Funster

To extract tax from us... :cautious: (y)

7. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I am insured with Comfort. I called them as I was about to drive the vehicle and got it covered. I drove home as I assumed that I would not be picked up on ANPR cameras as it was also taxed by the vendor. I taxed it 48 hours later and had no problems so they must have updated MID.

8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I was wondering if to avouid giving the government a free months tax do you deal at thre end of the month and old owner SORNs it and get a full refund foe the next month. You wait til the next day/ month and then tax it from then on you do not pay for the last/ lost month and the seller does not lose the next month?????????????? might work and then cause bottlenecks when Joe Public cottons on, with all the transaction going on at the month end

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just use the system . dont let it use you .

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Good point. I assumed that since a vehicle can't be sold with VED in place then obtaining such as soon as the vehicle was purchased could be a problem - but you're correct: the system can't see the change of owner until the V5 is received. So there's a brief period of grace to get the vehicle home as long as it's taxed when it's collected.

11. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Being a Postmaster that used to check for valid insurance on car tax i find it strange that in the final six months of checking docs to 1st Oct that the computer system did not refuse any applications for incorrect insurance but before this when manual it would be at least once a day .
    Its now quite easy and cheap to insure a CAR but is the person driving it legally able to do so.

12. The Wino

The Wino Funster

As they know who has insurance and mot online and have anpr cameras to check why bother with endless different car tax bands if they stuck 2p a litre on would make more money and encourage buying of more fuel efficient vehicles........perhaps too radical

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I thought they did this as our fuel is dearer that elsewhere and we still pay the road tax, a double whammy in fact.

14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Sorry I am being a bit thick here (okay I know...... not just today) but do you mean you can't sell a vehicle without either the VED or SORN in place? 'cos if it has to have VED rather than SORN that means problems if you decide to scrap a vehicle after SORNing it. I'm a duck of very little brain I'm afraid......